Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

90% of all big fish have been taken from the oceans

My personal flying habits are well known, they are pictured on the transport thread, my job is also well known, as is the car I drive, none of us are perfect, some worse than others, me very much included, but as I keep repeating, unless global society fundamentally changes we are fucked, all the modelling shows that unequivocally.
it may be adieu, not au revoir, to forests Is this the end of forests as we've known them?

That fishing video is pretty grim, there is no escape from the appliance of science to fishing.

Still, once the fish are gone, they are gone.

Just watched it. Fuck's sake, stuff I knew but grim to be reminded of it. And I know consumption is the most pointless end of the spectrum to attack it from, but i think I will cut out even my eating of once a week farmed Scottish salmon.

Just watched it. Fuck's sake, stuff I knew but grim to be reminded of it. And I know consumption is the most pointless end of the spectrum to attack it from, but i think I will cut out even my eating of once a week farmed Scottish salmon.

According to the MCS, the most sustainable salmon to eat is wild Alaskan, which is what I'd switched to. But the MCS gets such a kicking in the film that it's hard to have faith in them now!

According to the MCS, the most sustainable salmon to eat is wild Alaskan, which is what I'd switched to. But the MCS gets such a kicking in the film that it's hard to have faith in them now!

What was actually shocking was how completely incompetent and inept at answering simple questions the NGOs all were.

definitely cut out farmed salmon it's the fucking pits, the amount of wild fish caught to feed it, and the conditions they live: grim grim grim

There's a lot of controversy over many of the claims made in Seaspiracy.

Have a Google. A lot of it seems to be highly questionable journalism.

People's bodies are different. I've met people who've really struggled with vegan diets, even with eating protein every meal and taking supplements.

Eh? So they get every nutrient they need but they still can't live without meat? Are you 100% sure?

There's a lot of controversy over many of the claims made in Seaspiracy.

Have a Google. A lot of it seems to be highly questionable journalism.

Yeah, I looked at the company that made it and thought it looked quite low bar for quality of facts. Some specific ones might be in dispute but the general tendency isn't in my understanding.

Eh? So they get every nutrient they need but they still can't live without meat? Are you 100% sure?
No, they're not getting every nutrient they need, there are differences in absorbability of some of the nutrients between plants and meat. Heme-iron is an obvious one - it is different from the iron in plants and more easily absorbed. But there are others too Animal vs Plant Protein - What's the Difference?

I'm not trying to make an anti-vegan argument or anything. I just don't know why it's difficult to believe people's bodies are different. Some people can drink a strong coffee and fall straight asleep. If I drink a coffee at 10pm I won't sleep that night. Differences are okay.

No, they're not getting every nutrient they need, there are differences in absorbability of some of the nutrients between plants and meat. Heme-iron is an obvious one - it is different from the iron in plants and more easily absorbed. But there are others too Animal vs Plant Protein - What's the Difference?

I'm not trying to make an anti-vegan argument or anything. I just don't know why it's difficult to believe people's bodies are different. Some people can drink a strong coffee and fall straight asleep. If I drink a coffee at 10pm I won't sleep that night. Differences are okay.

Differences are fine but I think that if you have a body that picks what kinds of iron it is ok with then that is going to be a big problem, isn't it?

Differences are fine but I think that if you have a body that picks what kinds of iron it is ok with then that is going to be a big problem, isn't it?
Well, I think it is. Iron deficiency is quite common and there are some who claim it is massively underdiagnosed in women who are menstruating. And iron absorption through diet is a complicated issue, you can't just eat more iron and assume your body will absorb it: Diet | Iron Disorders Institute

Well, I think it is. Iron deficiency is quite common and there are some who claim it is massively underdiagnosed in women who are menstruating. And iron absorption through diet is a complicated issue, you can't just eat more iron and assume your body will absorb it: Diet | Iron Disorders Institute

Interesting. I'll tell you what I do know, since I started taking multivitamins my ability to think through stuff has improved a lot. It will also be a bit to do with not being powered by class A drugs but I can really tell a big difference.

Think the 'stop eating fish' thing, while understandable, is pretty much pointless though tbh. Needs a global ban on commercial fishing for 10+ years, with some type of exemptions for small coastal communities and people that eat their own catch. Unfortunately I think this will never happen, and the first we know of the complete collapse of fish stocks will be one year when ships start coming back with zero catch, but which time it'll be obviously too late.

I think - I hope - we all agree that drowning animals is an extremely cuntish thing to do, even if we eat their bodies afterwards. Dragging fishes out of the ocean and letting them slowly suffocate to death is equally cuntish and we should stop.

Back
Top Bottom