Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

AT&T says hackers stole records of nearly all cellular customers' calls and texts

= name=military status=branch, rank, duty station & location
No it doesn't. The DoD's database doesn't include phone numbers so you can't link the two.

That database you linked to is so people can verify someone was actually in the military and their employment record, why the fuck would it want phone numbers as well? It also includes details of past and deceased personal whose phone numbers would be irrelevant to the DoD. FFS

I'm not sure I can explain it better, so i'll stop trying

i'll just repeat these quotes, from the article

... the hack (is) "megabreach," emphasizing that metadata stolen at this scale has the potential to be a major national security threat as well as a problem for businesses and individuals.

"These are incredibly sensitive pieces of personal information and, when taken together at the scale of information that appears to be included in this AT&T breach, they presetent a massive NSA-like window into Americans’ activity," he said, nodding to the leaks by Edward Snowden that exposed the National Security Agency's bulk collection of metadata.

"If you have somebody’s metadata, you know when they go to work, where they go to work, where they sleep every night," he said.

Last edited:
Oh, and in case the English think that may've been spared from the damage that has been done to national security of the US:

Clients across the UK can benefit from an industry-leading portfolio that includes Mobility, Network, Network Security, Cloud, Hosting, Voice, Unified Communications and Application services. These are implemented locally by experienced AT&T engineers and supported by a local account team.

Yay global corporations! They have our best interests at heart, right?

Last edited:
Oh, and in case the English think that may've been spared from the damage that has been done to national security of the US:

Yay global corporations! They have our best interests at heart, right?
They only do internet in the UK it was data from their mobile network that got hacked. 2+2=6. :(

Good. Maybe you lucked out. we sure didn't

Do any UK cellular providers use the AT&T network?
If a foreign gov wanted to know where US military were in their country and what they were doing they could get their mobile networks to record calls/texts from phones with US SIM cards so wouldn't need to hack into at&t's files, do reverse number lookups and cross reference with DoD databases.

Of course the military could forge SIM cards from the country the soldiers are serving in but if the foreign government is that paranoid you would have to make sure that the forged SIM cards came back as registered to a local and the registered addresses tie in and match billing addresses etc. :hmm:

If a foreign gov wanted to know where US military were in their country and what they were doing they could get their mobile networks to record calls/texts from phones with US SIM cards so wouldn't need to hack into at&t's files, do reverse number lookups and cross reference with DoD databases.

Of course the military could forge SIM cards from the country the soldiers are serving in but if the foreign government is that paranoid you would have to make sure that the forged SIM cards came back as registered to a local and the registered addresses tie in and match billing addresses etc. :hmm:
I'll have to admit, I don't understand this.

The way it was actually done by the actual hackers seems simpler to me...

The only thing the hackers got was a list of numbers called, time and duration just as you get on your phone bill.

Mobile networks already have the ability to locate a phone to within a few 10's of meters, that's how the police can try to find people if they go missing. A government could find where you are very easily without having to hack into anything.

You think it'd be simple to find names and addresses for millions of phone numbers, then carry out some rather cunning social engineering to discover where each of them works?
Wouldn't it be easier to send someone to to sit outside every door of every house in America, and follow everyone to work?

You think it'd be simple to find names and addresses for millions of phone numbers, then carry out some rather cunning social engineering to discover where each of them works?
Wouldn't it be easier to send someone to to sit outside every door of every house in America, and follow everyone to work?
No, it wouldn't. Much easier to batch load the names into SCRA and you'll get your info immediately

The only thing the hackers got was a list of numbers called, time and duration just as you get on your phone bill.

Mobile networks already have the ability to locate a phone to within a few 10's of meters, that's how the police can try to find people if they go missing. A government could find where you are very easily without having to hack into anything.
I'm honestly done trying to explain the nature of the hack and the easily obtainable corollary info that can be derived therefrom. Read the f'ing articles

• However, while customer names were not leaked, it is possible they could be gleaned using other publicly available tools, the company warned.

Don't be awkward :mad:

;)

No, it wouldn't. Much easier to batch load the names into SCRA and you'll get your info immediately
Can you tell me how you'd go about that? I'm assuming you're going to suggest cross referencing the numbers against a public telephone directory, yes? so why not just download the whole telephone directory, and cross reference every name in it against this database you mention?

Can you tell me how you'd go about that? I'm assuming you're going to suggest cross referencing the numbers against a public telephone directory, yes? so why not just download the whole telephone directory, and cross reference every name in it against this database you mention?
Give a hacker, or even someone vaguely familiar with public data bases, your cell phone number & see how fast he or she can reveal a LOT about you. Go ahead, try it, I dare you...

Give a hacker, or even someone vaguely familiar with public data bases, your cell phone number & see how fast he or she can reveal a LOT about you. Go ahead, try it, I dare you...
What sort of hacker do you suggest? I'd consider myself a hacker, as I used to hack websites for fun, before I had a go at doing it legally for a while. Should I give my phone number to myself? Actually, scratch that. I'm worried what I might find out about myself.

What sort of hacker do you suggest? I'd consider myself a hacker, as I used to hack websites for fun, before I had a go at doing it legally for a while. Should I give my phone number to myself? Actually, scratch that. I'm worried what I might find out about myself.
That's kind of a funny post. You know the answer to your own question. Now imagine what someone with bad intentions and access to all sorts of data bases can do...

That's kind of a funny post. You know the answer to your own question. Now imagine what someone with bad intentions and access to all sorts of data bases can do...
You're going way off-piste here. Any numbers in that obtained list that aren't in public phone books can't be cross referenced against names, so all the hackers have is data that can be obtained by anyone who can read a phone book. Sure, they could buy a database on dodgyweb, and cross reference numbers with that, but to what end?
I really think you're overthinking this, and it's the reason so many yanks have guns. You're all paranoid as fuck, thinking the whole world wants to break onto your house and steal your tinfoil hats.

You're going way off-piste here. Any numbers in that obtained list that aren't in public phone books can't be cross referenced against names, so all the hackers have is data that can be obtained by anyone who can read a phone book. Sure, they could buy a database on dodgyweb, and cross reference numbers with that, but to what end?
I really think you're overthinking this, and it's the reason so many yanks have guns. You're all paranoid as fuck, thinking the whole world wants to break onto your house and steal your tinfoil hats.
Better safe than sorry. The magnitude & seriousness of the breach is discussed in BOTH of the articles I posted and liberally quoted in this thread. You're really an ornery one, Saul...

I'm honestly done trying to explain the nature of the hack and the easily obtainable corollary info that can be derived therefrom. Read the f'ing articles
Yes, but it's a bloody convoluted process you fool. There are far easier ways to track foreign agents.

If that's the DoD thing you linked to earlier it just confirms that a person served in the military, for how long and what corps they were in. It's the equivalent of Ancestry website for tracing family history. It doesn't tell you what their phone number is or where they are currently serving. Which you would know if you'd read the efing article you linked to. :facepalm:

Better safe than sorry. The magnitude & seriousness of the breach is discussed in BOTH of the articles I posted and liberally quoted in this thread. You're really an ornery one, Saul...
You do realise that hacking isn't as simple as typing "Google" into your search bar and you're into all of Google's files do you?

Very basically it's like going to "urban75.com" and entering a name and password but you don't know the web name, user name or their password. :hmm:

I’m not a hacker but I know how to access some of the data bases that were used to create the corollary damage. They are not much more difficult to use than google

If that's the DoD thing you linked to earlier it just confirms that a person served in the military, for how long and what corps they were in. It's the equivalent of Ancestry website for tracing family history. It doesn't tell you what their phone number is or where they are currently serving. Which you would know if you'd read the efing article you linked to. :facepalm:
You’re obsessed with whether I’ve read the (two) articles I posted. I have and I’ve liberally quoted from them throughout this thread. I can’t make you understand. I can lead the horse, so to speak, to the water, but I can’t make him (you) drink in understanding

I’ve caused such angst here. I really shouldn’t have bothered posting it. You are an unappreciative bunch of ingrates. No wonder we threw off your yoke in 1776

.sarcasm.

Back
Top Bottom