Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

We're fucking doomed. Or are we?

Are we fucking doomed?

• Yes, global war and apocalypse are just round the corner, start stockpiling baked beans now.

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • No, it'll blow over like all the other times, get back to Facebook and your hipster coffee.

Votes: 34 59.6%

• Total voters
Yes, and they're grown commercially not in greenhouses too. They don't need greenhouses, which is what I said. And dude you're the one who keeps trying to correct me, not the other way round :D

What started this was me saying:

anything can be grown in the U.K. now if it’s more cost effective than importing it.

To which you explained that it wouldn’t be cost effective, dressed up as it being difficult. A bizarre exchange.

What started this was me saying:

To which you explained that it wouldn’t be cost effective, dressed up as it being difficult. A bizarre exchange.

No, that was after your comment about tomatoes, where I backed you up by pointing out that avocados had to be imported but tomatoes didn't. I was backing you up and you decided to take it as an attack and argue with me. Pfft, urban.

LynnDoyleCooper , are you thinking of Syria? Are you thinking of a war with US and allies on one side and Russia with allies on the other?
Short answer: If it weren't for John Bolton I'd be pretty certain this won't escalate. This time. Anything is possible of course but I dont really see an appetite amongst US voters or US military to get deeply embroiled in and around Syria. Hard to know what sick ideas US planners have in their heads but I think if they wanted more direct involvement in Syria they'd be deep in there by now.

Im optimistic however shit things currently seem with ensuing twitter missile war.

Pessimism of the intellect... or the intellectuals, maybe. Optimism of the will. Good whoever first said it.

No time like the present for changing stuff.... there really is no other time.

Cabinet backs Theresa May's call for robust response to Syria crisis
Cabinet backs Theresa May's call for robust response to Syria crisis

Criminals !

Where UK ministers and other key MPs stand on possible Syria attack

Jeremy Corbyn
A former chair of Stop the War, Corbyn is a stalwart of the antiwar left, opposing conflict not just in Iraq, Libya and Syria but also in Kosovo and Sierra Leone. Last year he said there had been no “just war” since 1945 and on Thursday he said: “More bombing, more killing, more war will not save life.” He is understood to be seeking a security briefing – on privy councillor terms – on the latest from Syria, but it is near certain that he will oppose action regardless.

yeh

How long before the ships get there?

Last edited:
We don't need to fire missiles to stop Russia being scumbag gangsters. Just cut off the oligarchs' dodgy assets. Job done. They'll be mightily pissed off, and all backing for Putin stops.

Bhutan. Bhutan is the correct answer.

As a Londoner though I'd hopefully be insta-vaped in the first 20 airbursts or so. I've read and seen John McCormicks The Road, and quite frankly- fuck that shit.
The Road is by Cormac McCarthy

We did halloweeing with Swedes (known as turnips in the NE). I told some Londoner this once and they were horrified at our lack of Americanisation. Maybe I was a child chimney sweep or something?
You can get avocados in the local Tesco now, as you can pumpkins too. But they’ve both appeared in recent memory.
Swedes & Turnips are different vegetables aren't they?

The Road is by Cormac McCarthy

Swedes & Turnips are different vegetables aren't they?

The small white/purple ones are English turnips and tend to be referred to as turnips (in that London, other regions may differ)
The larger green/yellow ones are Swedish turnips and tend to be referred to as swedes (in that London, other regions may differ)

Reminds me of that advert the godders came up with of a guy rushing through life as if through a check-list. I thought the framing on that was pretty off too. I mean... why not take up a hobby, or make some time to stand and stare, loaf about a bit, do something creative, make love to someone. Basically it's a failure of the imagination (unless crushing poverty or something- and even then...)

Nobody else's fault if yer boring, init. (not "you", I mean as in "one")

We will be up in the tree house with enough Canada and Egyptian geese, rabbits and pheasants to keep us going,,,and I can knit our clothes from nettles. With our home-made tree catapult, we can now lob waterbombs right across the Yare, taking out the belligerent landlady of the Ferry Inn. We have a treadle lathe, Alaskan mill and chainsaws. We don't care.

Reactions: LDC
We asked psychologists why so many rich people think the apocalypse is coming
July 16, 2018
Many of the world's richest seem to earnestly believe that some kind of apocalyptic "event" is coming, and have prepared accordingly. You might have read about this before — such as in the New Yorker's deep dive back in January 2017 — but billionaire doomsday preppers are back in the news again thanks to a new viral article penned by professor and media theorist Douglas Rushkoff. In it, Rushkoff gives some insight on the grave manner in which some of the business elite are going about preparing for a doomsday, which he learned first-hand after receiving an invitation to speak with some one-percenters.

Rushkoff says that what was supposed to be a wholesome discussion about the “future of technology” quickly turned into a consulting session on an impending apocalypse.
Not as pessimist an article as it sounds.

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/doomsday-luxury-bunkers/index.html

Survival of the Richest

Survival of the Richest – Future Human – Medium

I did read the new yorker article mentioned in the above, was slightly disconcerted to be reading about old nuclear missile silos being converted into apoca-flats at loony tunes money to buy.

Sort of want to live in one anyway, apocalypse or not.

Read this recently. I love how the question of whether their guards might turn on them keeps them awake at night pondering the outcomes.

I watched an anti-Trump protest on the news the other day. The White House was practically surrounded. If all those people threw themselves at that target, I doubt if security could come anywhere near killing all of them. About the best that could be hoped for is getting a few out by helicopter or other quick escape plan. The ultra-rich may find that there's really nowhere to hide, except letting a little more of the gravy fall off their table to the rest of us.

Back
Top Bottom