Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

We're fucking doomed. Or are we?

Are we fucking doomed?

• Yes, global war and apocalypse are just round the corner, start stockpiling baked beans now.

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • No, it'll blow over like all the other times, get back to Facebook and your hipster coffee.

Votes: 34 59.6%

• Total voters
It appears everywhere, often it is read at you, sometimes it seeps into talk shows, then there's the likes of twitter and facebook. Full spectrum reality surround. Anyway I don't really want to put my head in the sand. I just get stressed by everybody believing the same old (in my view) bollocks. Perhaps it's just the natural years-to-go progression towards Grumpy Old Bastard status, hell and hand-baskets etc.

It still helps if you limit your news to that unavoidable stuff rather than putting the news on in the evening or reading the paper on the way to work. It's just an endless blast of terrible things you can't do anything about.

It still helps if you limit your news to that unavoidable stuff rather than putting the news on in the evening or reading the paper on the way to work. It's just an endless blast of terrible things you can't do anything about.
yes, you still have an idea of what's going on, you just don't let yourself get stressed by the horrible minutiae of it all.
I had to do this when Grenfell happened as it was just too upsetting to deal with the details.

Corporate news is intentionally scaring you (your scared>not happy>buy this product it will make you happy).
I watch/read/listen to non corporate independent news that is staffed by my m8`s or highly respected journalists and I have noticed that I don`t get scarred.
When I listen to corporate news.. I get scarred.

Endless conflict keeps people in work and consuming. Would they really kill such a profit making enterprise by going too far?
Is it more realistic to think sabre rattling and a few hundred thousand deaths are all the keep their system buoyant.

"People" are a renewable resource. Make money killing them. Make money birthing new ones. Make money exploiting them. Repeat.

Unfortunately for those in the UK relishing a Mad Max/Walking Dead future as a badass gang leader, Britain is such a target rich small island that it is likely to suffer almost total annihilation in any major NATO-Russia nuclear exchange. That is before we talk about fallout and nuclear winter.
You might get anything from months to a few years of doomed survival in say, Patagonia.

Unfortunately for those in the UK relishing a Mad Max/Walking Dead future as a badass gang leader, Britain is such a target rich small island that it is likely to suffer almost total annihilation in any major NATO-Russia nuclear exchange. That is before we talk about fallout and nuclear winter.
You might get anything from months to a few years of doomed survival in say, Patagonia.

Bhutan. Bhutan is the correct answer.

As a Londoner though I'd hopefully be insta-vaped in the first 20 airbursts or so. I've read and seen John McCormicks The Road, and quite frankly- fuck that shit.

The main concern is that in a conventional, limited, “theatre” war, the big players tit for tat and spread out of theatre and escalate level of weapons used, also that in that situation it only takes a few trigger happy types, misread signals, misunderstood intercepts etc to trigger a pre-emotive nuclear strike and the full exchange - game over. There was some Russian guy who apparently saved all of us back in the 80s by his disbelieving delaying response to what looked like a detected preemptive strike.

Bhutan. Bhutan is the correct answer.

As a Londoner though I'd hopefully be insta-vaped in the first 20 airbursts or so. I've read and seen John McCormicks The Road, and quite frankly- fuck that shit.

It'd be much better than that. There'd be dens in the woods and loads of green like that fella in children on men but no coppers to pig you.

I can see Londoners forming small camps do defend their dwindling supply of avocados, sourdough and the last nespresso capsules.
people eat avocados everywhere, they're as exotic as garlic and tomatoes, so why do you seem to be implying they're only for hipster Londoners?

I don't understand why anyone would think the sky is going to fall on us soon. Who's going to nuke us and why?

It is two minutes to midnight.

Lots more countries getting nukes, then having beef with other countries that have nukes, plus complicating factors of climate change that would make it harder to survive any nuclear detonation.

They say:

Hyperbolic rhetoric and provocative actions by both sides have increased the possibility of nuclear war by accident or miscalculation.

And that was a few months ago, before Putin gleefully showed an animation of Florida being bombed in a demonstration about the power of his missiles, and Trump responded by literally saying his missiles were bigger, nyer, then the escalation in Syria. Wouldn't be surprised if we'd got up to one minute now.

people eat avocados everywhere, they're as exotic as garlic and tomatoes, so why do you seem to be implying they're only for hipster Londoners?

It's only a joke, not a commentary on the efficiency of the fresh produce distribution chain. I could have said Newcastle would be protected by a gravy moat.

Reactions: LDC
Well they’re from the Southern Hemisphere for starters, unlike garlic and tomatoes.

Apart from the fact that the top producer Mexico produces four times as many as its nearest rival (Dominican Republic) and that they originated there, and both these countries are northern hemisphere...a good point well made Magnus.

Do we continue?

Reactions: pug
Obviously there's not gonna be a nuclear war or the great apocalypse or doomsday anytime soon, but I do have to say that the future scares me, and my worries affect my day-to-day life more and more.

I'm worried on a personal level, with cuts and austerity making it likely that i will live in poverty in my old age. So many social things have been dismantled in the last few years, i really can't see it going back to a reasonable standard in my life time, and I know it will affect me and a lot of people close to me.
Austerity kills and causes misery and crime, and everything that goes with it. It's all around us, and it's horrible to be part of and watch. It's horrible to see people being gentrified out of their area, to see rising gang crime, to witness everything people have been spoken about and warned of for years and years.
And the most frustrating thing about it is that there is no end in sight, it will get worse and worse, and even once things start improving again it will take generations to get thing back to where they were, never mind bringing them up to a reasonable standard.

Then there is the whole nu-style politics with Trump and all the other clowns playing politics reality tv style, whilst the people in the background actively encourage hatred, racism, greed, selfishness etc etc, and in the process destroy lives and futures, and normalise a style of policy making that should never even have surfaced. Yet it seems mainstream by now.

What also scares the shit out of me is all the environmental stuff. Bad news everywhere, every single day. Climate change, micro plastic particles, collapsing oceans, deforestation, the dying of insects, oil, spoiled soil, cars, etc etc etc. Everything seems fucked, everywhere I look.
And yet there will be a new generation of nuclear power stations, oil still makes politics tick, the cars industry will do literally anything to keep sales up, the rain forests are disappearing before our eyes, and the new arctic ice cap gap is celebrated as a new trade route.
And all this doesn't even take yesterday's unsolved problems into account: Tchernobyl, Fukushima, oil spills, etc etc. all man made stuff that could have been avoided and that has nothing to do with 'we didn't know at the time', as scientist have analysed and calculated and warned about the risks of nuclear power and oil dependency etc etc for decades and decades and decades.

Then there is all the wars going on, the reason why they started, and the implications these war have on culture, people, and future generations. It seriously scares the shit out of me. Millions and millions of people affected by wars all over the world, cultures being deliberately destroyed, people having to flee, millions of traumatised people......what the fuck are we doing????

And the list goes on and on and on, and everything is so fucking complicated and too big to understand.....and everything is fucked on all ends.

So, I don't think the sky is gonna fall down on us very soon, but I am very scared of the future...

Back
Top Bottom