Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Weird sandwiches

My friend swears by a supernoodle sandwich. I love an avocado, marmite and strong cheddar one- eat quickly before avocado turns brown.

Cheddar and blackcurrant jam , not particularly weird .......but a long time fave of mine since youth...

Also cooked and pickled beetroot with raw onion....

I don't think it is weird, but I love fried Marmite and cheese sandwiches, some say it is wrong, they are the wrong 'uns!

I love salt sandwiches, mustard sandwiches, and ketchup sandwiches. The problem with sauce sandwiches is that the filling drips all over the place. This can be reduced by adding S&V crisps.

The secret of a good non-drippy sauce sandwich is to only butter one slice of bread (using enough butter for two slices, obviously!), and spread the sauce on the other slice, which will soak it up.

My mum used to make us sugar sandwiches as a treat in the 70s ((my teeth))

My Nan used to make broth toasted sandwiches with the Breville. I still don't quite understand the logistics. She also used to like bacon and strawberry jam.

Lancashire cheese and strawberry jam is an ace sandwich.
A toasted hot cross bun makes a great bread substitute for a bacon or sausage butty. I reckon a raisin and cinnamon bagel would do a better job, as it's more rigid.
Lemon curd and sliced banana on Irish brown soda bread is another lovely thing. Maybe not as a sandwich with two slices of bread, more of an open sandwich. Which is a pretty Nordic construct. Lemons, bananas and Irish bread are not particularly Nordic, mind.
A pal of mine swears by bacon and marmalade sandwiches. As I cannot abide marmalade, I'll have to take his word for it. And even though I can't stand marmalade, I can see in my head that sweet, salty, meaty and tart all together would be nice.

My great aunt used to make sandwiches with cold left over cabbage. She smoked about 50 Capstan fags every day though so maybe she couldn't really taste it. She lived to nearly 90:) ((Auntie Cis))

If you've got leftover cabbage you have to make bubble and squeak. It's the law.

I'd rather have a weird sandwich any day rather than the sandwiches you get in Turkey - which are ALWAYS made of horrible cheap nasty bread, a slice of flavourless plastic cheese, a bit of tomato and a slice of cucumber. SO BORING.

I'd rather have a weird sandwich any day rather than the sandwiches you get in Turkey <snip> SO BORING.
WTF? There are so many cheap and good quality ingredients where you are, I reckon you should start selling more interesting sarnies as a sideline.

The other day I bought a coronation chicken sandwich made with curried salad cream instead of mayonnaise.

Feel free to call me a foodie snob but it was just WRONG. And weird.

Back
Top Bottom