Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

eBay etiquette question (aka am I being weird)

Always full value on ebay. You've all already agreed to the terms.

Insist on the £1.
I think this whole silly worry about pots has shown me an uncomfortable thing about myself, like I’d never show up to collect a thing I bid £51 for and try to get it for less, I only think they’re not worth it cos they’re my pots or something. Have got to work on that, it’s the same thing as asking for a pay rise feeling impossible.

It’s also illustrates that you shouldn’t put a round number maximum bid on eBay for something you’re trying to buy. Always bid a quid or two over the round number (21 instead of 20, 51 instead of 50). Most people leave round number bids so you’ll outbid close rivals by a pound.

Last edited:
I think this whole silly worry about pots has shown me an uncomfortable thing about myself, like I’d never show up to collect a thing I bid £51 for and try to get it for less, I only think they’re not worth it cos they’re my pots or something. Have got to work on that, it’s the same thing as asking for a pay rise feeling impossible.

Ebay is just training for Facebook marketplace, where the buyer will insist on you selling them your house for an extra fiver if you really want them to take that trowel.

here they are, does this look like £51 worth of unwanted pots?
I'm just going to brazen it out, unless keith looks crestfallen.
View attachment 258991

thats what ebay is for isn't it, stuff you don't want at all that someone else really does want, i'm just not a regular seller so it feels weird.

Ha! :) I recognise some of those pots... have them in my garden, they come from Homebase, I think (memory is poor).

They (or their equivalents) cost between £10 and £25ish new nowadays, so at an average of £15 that’s about £100 of new value. I’d be happy paying £51 then second hand, so I don’t think you need to worry about the buyer being disappointed.

Homebase UK

what happens if he is a widowed American military doctor fresh from Afghanistan

This morning I was hungover sitting nursing a pot of tea when there was this huge, bailiff style knock at my door. I went outside to find I'd had the most enormous box delivered. Puzzled as I thought I've definitely not ordered anything huge so that box is overkill clearly. Anyway I tear it open to find that one of the plastic plant pots I ordered is waaaaay bigger than I expected :D:eek: this tipped my hangxiety over the edge into hilarity thankfully.

Just look at this thing! I guess I need to save up for a fucking tree to plant in it now :facepalm:20210319_113121.jpg

Just look at this thing! I guess I need to save up for a fucking tree to plant in it now

or a kitteh of suitable size

cat-in-flowerpot-3__605.jpg

I have observed a gender split in this area in the past.

Men bargaining:
Buyer: "It's a bit wobbly. I'll give you £50 for it."
Seller: "This is a genuine antique. I'm afraid I can't go any lower than £60."

Women bargaining:
Buyer: "Ooh that's nice, I'll give you £100 for it."
Seller: "No no, it's a piece of old tat, here, take it for free and have my baby too to make up for how awful it is."

This morning I was hungover sitting nursing a pot of tea when there was this huge, bailiff style knock at my door. I went outside to find I'd had the most enormous box delivered. Puzzled as I thought I've definitely not ordered anything huge so that box is overkill clearly. Anyway I tear it open to find that one of the plastic plant pots I ordered is waaaaay bigger than I expected :D:eek: this tipped my hangxiety over the edge into hilarity thankfully.

Just look at this thing! I guess I need to save up for a fucking tree to plant in it now :facepalm:View attachment 259386
Yeah, I had the opposite problem - I bought a herb grinder which, when it arrived, turned out to be for homeopaths.

Back
Top Bottom