Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Easy, healthy, non-weird vegan recipes for chronic fatigue. 👩‍🍳🥕🛌

I quite often just have roasted veggies (peppers/aubergine/courgette/onion cut quite chunky so not too much knife work) then whole cloves of garlic (or a couple of cubes of the ready crushed frozen garlic) with mushrooms and cherry toms added whole nearer the end. Then with humous or Tahini sauce and toasted flatbreads/pitta… Fairly easy and uses up whatever veg is hanging around.

Private GPs who are members of the BSEM Practitioners often recommend a ketogenic diet for patients with CFS/ME. They also have a test for it (not NHS approved) and give a diagnosis. If you can come up with enough money for the tests and consultations and supplements, say ÂŁ600-ÂŁ800, you might notice a boost in energy levels after a few weeks. (I did.) I don't know what they offer for long Covid, or whether they have a test for it. The keto diet switches you from using carbs for energy to using fat. It's what marathon runners do when they hit the wall - they run out of carbs and start making energy from fat. You can probably tell I'm not a scientist. Nothing to stop you experimenting on yourself by going keto for a month or two. But you'd need to do a bit of homework about the supplements. All the info is on Dr Sarah Myhill's site. She has quite a following. DoctorMyhill If you die, don't sue me.
Also, vegan keto?
Don't think that's a thing. :D

I'm quite partial to scrambled tofu (Morinu silken please) with smoked salt and garlic on toast. You can put mushrooms in that, or courgettes, or spinach or whatever really. The most effortful bit is getting the tetrapak open.

I went down the frozen chopped garlic and ginger route when I broke my wrist and won't go back now. Keep reminding yourself that there's a lot more nutrition in a frozen /tinned vegetable you eat than a fresh one you don't.

I’m sorry things are not good for you Danny, I hope things improve with time.

As we’re getting into colder weather, soups are great. Can just leave them alone and don’t have to chop that precisely as you can blend it up anyway:

Onion (I only ever buy the frozen chopped ones as I have ludicrously sensitive eyes and don’t just cry but have severe pain if I chop proper ones)
Carrots, peppers of various colour, roughly chopped
Celery, roughly chopped
Seasoning of choice (garlic, chilli, herbs, whatever)
Couple of potatoes, chopped up a bit
Can add lentils if you want too

Put into pan, let them fry off for a bit, add stock, blend when tender. Can roast the peppers first if you’re feeling up to it but it tastes okay without

Simple tomato sauce:

Fry plenty of garlic and onion whilst the kettle boils for the pasta. Add some veg if you’re feeling up to chopping it (peppers, courgette etc) and let them fry off and soften a bit. Add tinned tomatoes (if you get really good quality ones they don’t require much cooking, cheaper ones just need a bit more time to develop a bit I find) and then add chickpeas. Add pasta to water. Let the sauce do it’s thing whilst the pasta is cooking. Add some olives near the end. By the time the pasta has cooked the sauce should be done

On days where you feel a bit better and up for a bit more chopping, make big portions and freeze leftovers, then on worse days you just have to reheat

The one-dish roasting recipe book above is good. The other thing I do a bit is hot 'salads' that involve boiling up some quinoa or bulgar, roasting some veg to go in it, then adding beans or tofu and some pickled things for extra flavour. If you want to get sophisticated you could adapt some poke bowl recipes but using some smoked tofu or similar.

Also do take a look at the Long Covid thread for tips if you haven't already - I do use some supplements that help.

If you want to know about advice for vegans from the fringe medics who treat CFS, you could have a free phone chat with the Optimum Health Clinic The Optimum Health Clinic.

And you could glance at the list of foods on Dr Myhill's keto page Ketogenic diet - the practical details - DoctorMyhill It's not all meat and fish. She also has a cookbook with some vegan recipes. But she does mention "problems" with vegetarian and vegan diets....

Another possible source is this BSEM GP practice. Allergy, Nutrition, Environmental Medicine | The Burghwood Clinic As you can see they offer help with long Covid. If you call them they email you lots of stuff - mention vegan and see what they say. I'm planning to go to them soon, as my BSEM GP has left London. And I want to see if these people have any different advice for me.

That's about all I can think of. It's not much, but most people never get this far. It's years before they accept that the NHS will probably have nothing to offer for who knows how many decades. The only 'progress' in recent years is that the NHS withdrew their only CFS treatment, Graded Exercise Therapy, because there was a scandal about it. Which was a shame, because I reckon that if you can improve your energy levels with dietary advice and supplements and a bit of psychology, you can move on to GET and really get somewhere close to a normal life. Hardly anyone tries. They have to find the money, and take a big mental plunge by doing things which have not been adequately clinically trialled. Your NHS GP has to say nothing to encourage you. They could get in serious trouble. You can tell them what you're doing....then there's a big silence.
I understand you want to be helpful but that's not what danny is asking for.

Is miso weird?

It makes great soup. A tub of it keeps in the fridge indefinitely and you just add a couple of spoonfuls at the end of cooking a pan of whatever you’ve got and it makes it taste great.

I’m going to try using it with noodles, I tend to go for the unhealthy packet noodles that have lots of palm oil in the noodles and god knows what in the flavour packet. I have those with some easy to cook stuff added eg tomatoes, garlic, frozen peas, anything that just needs heating through so it doesn’t take much longer than 2 minutes to cook through. I think switching the packet noodles for buckwheat or rice noodles plus miso might work out healthier but still low effort.

Tofu always a good addition for noodles if you can get it.

Might be useful to know what sort of shops you can get to danny la rouge ? eg Chinese supermarkets make the above pretty cheap to make, if you have them.
eg, I got a tub of miso for ÂŁ2.45. Equivalent size tub from other shops round here would be ÂŁ4 - ÂŁ5.50.

Might be useful to know what sort of shops you can get to @danny la rouge ?
I live in Glasgow, so everything. Near me there are supermarkets, grocers and greengrocers of the following varieties: Chinese, Afro-Caribbean, African, South Asian, Vietnamese, and more.

No, miso isn’t weird.

Back
Top Bottom