Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Kale recipes

Sautee it until it's a bit brown (not burnt) with garlic. Add cream, parmesan cheese, bit of cayenne pepper for a kick, maybe a bit of water so as it reaches the consistency of your liking. Mix with pasta. You can thank me later.
I do a Neapolitana style pasta sauce along those lines although with spinach and a roux based sauce with milk and a little cheese instead of cream - and a bit of grated nutmeg.
I reckon it would work with kale too.

It’s quite bouncy, very curly, quite a bright green. I can take a photo tomorrow if that doesn’t narrow it down.
Yeah I know the one you're probably describing, standard green curly kale like they sell in the supermarkets.

Leaves are thinner than a lot of other kales, so it does well just quickly steamed or stir-fried (I like to give it a rinse before stir-frying and not drain it too well, so it steams a bit at the same time). You might need to cut out thicker stems like other people have said - should be easy to tell if you need to, by whether they're juicy and easy to cut or if they have stringy fibrous bits.

It's good just wilted in at the end of cooking tomatoey bean/lentilly stews, or as a more substantial alternative to spinach in creamy cheesey sauces (blanch it first and then squeeze all the water out, unless the sauce is very wet, or it might not cook through)

This recipe is lush if you like the other main ingredients. It uses black kale but green curly kale would work well too, especially the thicker older leaves.

Yeah I know the one you're probably describing, standard green curly kale like they sell in the supermarkets.

Leaves are thinner than a lot of other kales, so it does well just quickly steamed or stir-fried (I like to give it a rinse before stir-frying and not drain it too well, so it steams a bit at the same time). You might need to cut out thicker stems like other people have said - should be easy to tell if you need to, by whether they're juicy and easy to cut or if they have stringy fibrous bits.

It's good just wilted in at the end of cooking tomatoey bean/lentilly stews, or as a more substantial alternative to spinach in creamy cheesey sauces (blanch it first unless the sauce is very wet, or it might not cook through)

This recipe is lush if you like the other main ingredients. It uses black kale but green curly kale would work well too, especially the thicker older leaves.

Most supermarkets are heathens and chop it up stems and all and stick in a plastic bag. I pretty much gave up after years of getting it literally straight from the field.

Discovered my local market sells huge bags of it a quid, so it's back on the menu. :)

Most supermarkets are heathens and chop it up stems and all and stick in a plastic bag. I pretty much gave up after years of getting it literally straight from the field.

Discovered my local market sells huge bags of it a quid, so it's back on the menu. :)
Yeah I'm as spoiled as you used to be when your OH grew veg. The supermarket stuff is horrifying when you haven't had to put up with it for so long.

Just remembered, I do it with white fish in a mild-moderately spicy sauce sometimes and that's always lush. Either added to the fish for the last couple minutes of cooking, or steamed separately and then mixed in a bit as I eat. Big squeeze of lemon over the kale and fish, brown rice and a few chickpeas on the side. Fit.

I don't get why people are fussy about the stems. I hate chopping perfectly edible bits off vegetables.
It's not an issue with decent stuff but some of the stems, especially in the chopped supermarket stuff, are really stringy and woody if the leaves are older or it's not very freshly picked. Selling it prechopped makes it worse too because then the stems dry out more.

I use it as the green vegetable in ramen/miso soup. Or just chopped and steam-fried in a bit of oil/butter. You have to make sure it doesn't dry out and start browning though.

Make a potato soup, then put in very finely sliced kale. Cook it until its done. To serve drop one or two slices of chouriço into a bowl pour the soup onto this. Caldo Verde.

I really like the stuff. Will throw it in veg soups or stews towards the end. I generally just blanch it and fry it for a couple of minutes in olive oil and garlic.

As for rubbing it for salad, it works very well in Thai style salads. This sort of thing...

Steam for at least ten minutes then sautee with butter, garlic and a little finely diced bacon. The stalks should be left in but cut out crappy bits if it's pre-chopped supermarket stuff.

Curly kale just isn't very nice and definitely needs softening up - much nicer if it's cooked with something unctuous (beans, potato) to smooth it out. Can be OK in soups or dhals. Borderline OK if well blanched and mixed into salad with grains (barley, big couscous) and/or avocado. My advice is eat cavolo nero or spinach instead - all the same nutritional benefits without the pain.

Steam for at least ten minutes then sautee with butter, garlic and a little finely diced bacon. The stalks should be left in but cut out crappy bits if it's pre-chopped supermarket stuff.

Personally disagree. It's why I hate the bags of supermarket stuff. They just chop the whole plant up. I can see making thr stalks more edible if you cooked them longer, but I don't bother. I just rip the leaves of them.

You can stuff marrows with Kale. Half the marrow, scoop out the flesh. Mix the flesh with chopped Kale. Season well. Stuff the marrow. Throw it in a clean bin and make some chips.

Back
Top Bottom