Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Wear masks in shops

I could make you one if you want. Saul Goodman They are 3 layers of fine cotton with either a J-cloth or hoover bag filter. Can pop it in the post. Totally washable and with long ties instead of ear-ach-y elastic. PM?
I think they are better than those thin blue coloured things (which seem to be making something of a littering appearance round my way)

The cost of giving them out free is nothing compared to costs if somebody passes Covid-19 to staff and/or other sick patients. No brainer.

Supermarkets are run by cunts so you have to legislate.

Do it like parking.

Free mask on arrival
Spend over £5 and the mask is free
Otherwise the mask (subsided) is 20p

If our failing government and these supermarket shitehawks can't manage that we are fucked
We are fucked

Totally agree that we need wear masks indoors. I would love to create a montage of all the bad mask wearing I have seen:
under nose
under chin
Hanging off one ear
On top of head
🤣

The Spanish government gave us ten disposable and two reusable ones free. Lidl were selling them at 20€ for 20. The government fixed the price. Entrepreneurs have been selling a range of different and colourful ones, but these are about 2,50€ each.

Last edited:
Face coverings are fine, and is what is recommended, no need to wear proper masks mostly for people in day to day stuff. No excuse that someone can't afford them, using a bit of fabric or something is better than nothing.

I bought the components from Aliexpress. 2x 60W bulbs, an electronic ballast and a couple of bulb holders. Then I mounted it in a big plastic box, and made a glove box type thing out of it. I'll get some pictures up later.

I really think you'd be better off wiping the shopping down or just leaving it for a few days. The kind of UVC lamp needed to have a good chance of efficiently killing cornavirus would also be far more dangerous to the skin than UVA or UVB lamps:

It's not something I'd suggest people try at home.

I could make you one if you want. Saul Goodman They are 3 layers of fine cotton with either a J-cloth or hoover bag filter. Can pop it in the post. Totally washable and with long ties instead of ear-ach-y elastic. PM?
I think they are better than those thin blue coloured things (which seem to be making something of a littering appearance round my way)
Thanks, but I have a wonderful full face respirator here, with replaceable carbon filters. I wear it when a courier comes to the door :D

I really think you'd be better off wiping the shopping down or just leaving it for a few days. The kind of UVC lamp needed to have a good chance of efficiently killing cornavirus would also be far more dangerous to the skin than UVA or UVB lamps:

I wipe it with a 70% alcohol solution first, but you're right about it being dangerous, especially at the power level I'm using. That's the idea, and why I have it contained within a glove box.

I wipe it with a 70% alcohol solution first, but you're right about it being dangerous, especially at the power level I'm using. That's the idea, and why I have it contained within a glove box.

Well, I wouldn't go suggesting other people do it, especially as it doesn't really improve upon wiping, and requires you to turn the items around periodically to cover all sides. It's a dangerous waste of time and money imo.

Although on a tangent I'm annoyed that the anti-nuclear lobby killed off gamma-irradiation of food. Fresh E.Coli-free salad alone would have saved hundreds of lives across Europe.

Well, I wouldn't go suggesting other people do it, especially as it doesn't really improve upon wiping, and requires you to turn the items around periodically to cover all sides. It's a dangerous waste of time and money imo.

Although on a tangent I'm annoyed that the anti-nuclear lobby killed off gamma-irradiation of food. Fresh E.Coli-free salad alone would have saved hundreds of lives across Europe.
I never suggested anyone should do it, but given that most people here aren't children, I think they should be allowed to make their own decisions. You're not their mother, but thanks for your concern.

Already a fucking mess on Twitter of people going 'I won't wear them, it's dehumanising!' 'It's the start of a total global control of the population!' (uhm, then why didn't they do it straight away) 'Everyone who wears a mask is a judgemental bastard!' :facepalm:

If you read that carefully, you'll notice that the three adults were experiencing problems with the skin on their face and neck, as well as eye trouble. This indicates that the idiots were exposing themselves to the light for extended periods of time. Saul isn't doing that.

I never suggested anyone should do it, but given that most people here aren't children, I think they should be allowed to make their own decisions. You're not their mother, but thanks for your concern.

If you think people should make up their own minds then surely when you explain to people how to do it, which you were literally doing, I can also post about the risks and lack of effectiveness? If that makes you think I am acting like their mother then you're just a twat.

If you read that carefully, you'll notice that the three adults were experiencing problems with the skin on their face and neck, as well as eye trouble. This indicates that the idiots were exposing themselves to the light for extended periods of time. Saul isn't doing that.

I couldn't give a fuck what Saul does, but people are merrily buying UV equipment with no knowledge of how to use it and injuring themselves. People asked him where to buy the lamps so a cautionary note is entirely appropriate.

I specifically stated that I'd made a glove box, which I'll post pictures of when I get to my computer. The plastic the box is made from blocks the wavelength of UV-C light, which renders the thing quite harmless, barring stupidity. The only nastiness is the ozone created by the light, but I use it in the garage, which is a well ventilated area.

If you think people should make up their own minds then surely when you explain to people how to do it, which you were literally doing, I can also post about the risks and lack of effectiveness? If that makes you think I am acting like their mother then you're just a twat.
I hadn't started explaining anything. I simply stated where I'd purchased the parts.
Being a twat is what makes you a twat.

I couldn't give a fuck what Saul does, but people are merrily buying UV equipment with no knowledge of how to use it and injuring themselves. People asked him where to buy the lamps so a cautionary note is entirely appropriate.

If someone posts something about riding a motorbike, are you then going to reply to them with a news story about someone who had an accident while riding one with no hands?

If someone posts something about riding a motorbike, are you then going to reply to them with a news story about someone who had an accident while riding one with no hands?

The first posts on here about wearing masks were accompanied by people cautioning how to wear and remove them safely. Anyone who objects to that sort of thing perhaps shouldn't be on a discussion forum.

I asked.
And I know about the dangers of UVC. I also know Saul Goodman is an engineer and would know what he is talking about. So I asked because I wanted information on how to use them etc.
I do know that UVC is highly dangerous but isnt it used in hairdressers every day to sterilise brushes and scissors?
Possibly not at a wave length strong enough to kill off covid19 but still...I was asking for info. And that's what threads like this and members here are good at sharing.

The first posts on here about wearing masks were accompanied by people cautioning how to wear and remove them safely. Anyone who objects to that sort of thing perhaps shouldn't be on a discussion forum.
Ditto, anyone who objects to someone suggesting a method of killing the coronavirus.
You didn't even read what I'd written. You just needed people to hear your bluster. Are you even aware of far-UVC? Here, I'll save you the trouble of googling it... Type of UV Light Called Far-UVC is Safe to Use Around People and Kills >99.9% of Airborne Coronaviruses: Study

If and when I'd posted information on how to build what I built, I would have also posted any necessary warnings.

Back
Top Bottom