Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Want but can't has thread

I've never had one - are they worth the space?

Definitely. Apart from the cost of buying them, they are cheap to run and apparently more efficient in water/energy use than washing up in a sink. Great if you work long hours as you just chuck the mucky stuff in and run it whenever its full.

Washing machines, dishwashers and hoovers are the only truly essential household appliances.

Agree with the first two, but I'm not convinced that a hoover is essential. Or at least as far as my frequency of hoovering is concerned. :hmm:

I've never had one - are they worth the space?

No. It takes as long to load and unload the fuckers as it would to simply wash the pots, and half the stuff you put in a dishwasher won't even get cleaned properly.

There are 5 of us so stacks of washing up. And everyone seems to have numerous cups and glasses on the go. Would be an hour a day to wash up and dry. Fuck that. If there are 3 or less of you and you are frugal with plates etc, might be less worthwhile.

Don't think I could live without washing machine. Vacuum cleaner slightly optional...but dog just going into moult so this position will change (again) very soon. Dishwasher - why else have a spouse?
Thinking about it - we do split washing jobs right down the line - I do the laundry, he does the washing up.
I suspect if we did have a dishwasher, it would basically end up as another (less accessible) kitchen stuff storage cupboard...unlike the easily accessed draining board.

No. It takes as long to load and unload the fuckers as it would to simply wash the pots, and half the stuff you put in a dishwasher won't even get cleaned properly.
when you're clearing up after several it makes a massive difference in my recent experience. i've never had one but seriously considering it now...

when you're clearing up after several it makes a massive difference in my recent experience. i've never had one but seriously considering it now...

You won't regret it - they're a godsend.

The machine I've got is a half-size one, and on average I run a couple of loads a week (I live by myself though). I guess if you've got several people in a house then a full-sized one would be better if you've got room.

You won't regret it - they're a godsend.

The machine I've got is a half-size one, and on average I run a couple of loads a week (I live by myself though). I guess if you've got several people in a house then a full-sized one would be better if you've got room.
no chance, would have to be half sized they look bigger than i imagined tbf.

no chance, would have to be half sized they look bigger than i imagined tbf.
This is going to make me sound mad, but go and look at one and take one of your dinner plate and a saucepan you usually use. The half sized ones have different set ups internally and some you can't get big plates in, or the saucepans go in at a weird angle and mean you can't get anything else in. The same size experiment doesn't have the same size interior.

This is lesson I learned in practice ;)

certainly nothing doing now. need to purge the cupboards before i can see if i could steal any space. which will take a while :oops:

This is going to make me sound mad, but go and look at one and take one of your dinner plate and a saucepan you usually use. The half sized ones have different set ups internally and some you can't get big plates in, or the saucepans go in at a weird angle and mean you can't get anything else in. The same size experiment doesn't have the same size interior.

This is lesson I learned in practice ;)
This is not remotely mad, this is entirely and absolutely sensible. I'd advise doing it for normal-sized machines also. We have some plates a bit too wide to stand up straight.

Back
Top Bottom