Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New coat. Opinions wanted

To be fair...if we enter an ice age, a sheepskin coat would be the penultimate best coat for staying warm...and dry.

The absolute best would be fur.... I am whispering that though...

I might have agreed 20/30 years ago but modern materials do a far better job of keeping you warm and dry nowadays with a fraction of the weight and volume. Layers are where it's at. A decent base, fleece, down jacket, and hardshell, will see you right from India to the Arctic.

I might have agreed 20/30 years ago but modern materials do a far better job of keeping you warm and dry nowadays with a fraction of the weight and volume. Layers are where it's at. A decent base, fleece, down jacket, and hardshell, will see you right from India to the Arctic.
i don't think down is really a modern material is it

not very ethical either Material Guide: Is Down Feather Ethical and Sustainable? - Good On You and as we all know the only way is ethics

The hottest coat I ever wore was a Columbia lightweight thing that had that space blanket reflective stuff as an inside layer. Would've done you in the Himalayas but really unnecessary here.

I found it discarded by the side of the SW Coast Path and wouldn't have been surprised to have found its dying, heat-exhausted owner further down the track.

Still got it somewhere I think. If I ever go trekking again it might get dug out.

i don't think down is really a modern material is it

not very ethical either Material Guide: Is Down Feather Ethical and Sustainable? - Good On You and as we all know the only way is ethics

The modern materials are the shells and linings. Decent down is still hard to beat as a filler although there are good synthetic ones that are more expensive.

Ethically, you just need to buy it from Patagonia, or other high welfare manufacturer/recycler, but if you're looking at leather and sheepskin, down's probably not going to worry you too much.

The modern materials are the shells and linings. Decent down is still hard to beat as a filler although there are good synthetic ones that are more expensive.

Ethically, you just need to buy it from Patagonia, or other high welfare manufacturer/recycler, but if you're looking at leather and sheepskin, down's probably not going to worry you too much.
I'm not tho. I've a great coat from the Canadian mec which will cope with -20 and doesn't contain feathers

i have an old GPO duffle hung in the shed. It has no hood, but does have toggles. i am rather attached to it because it has come to represent a bygone era of nationalised public utilities. It was part of my 'kit', an item of uniform if you will. No one much recalls the GPO today, or its public service ethic 😐 🙁

I reckon ..don't do it!

But if you want to try it in I'm sure there must be some leather coat shops around that will have very similar? Camden??

I have a north face down coat. It is good to -20c. But no good if it gets wet. It'll survive a shower..but heavy rain turns it to a sad mushy flat thing with no heat. Its ok if I wear a rain coat over it.

I have a north face down coat. It is good to -20c. But no good if it gets wet. It'll survive a shower..but heavy rain turns it to a sad mushy flat thing with no heat. Its ok if I wear a rain coat over it.

Yep, you need to cover down in rain or it becomes as insulating as a wet t-shirt.

Found that when we worked with nomads up on the Tibetan plateau, they liked their trad clothes for the tradition but were keen to get their hands on a down jacket if they could.

Found that when we worked with nomads up on the Tibetan plateau, they liked their trad clothes for the tradition but were keen to get their hands on a down jacket if they could.
When I went up there I got a jacket made in Kathmandu. Sort of cord stuff on the outer layer, double fleece-lined. Did the trick although I was quite naturally well-insulated already at the time as I was the wrong side of 20 stone. :oops: I think the jacket cost me a fiver. :D

When I went up there I got a jacket made in Kathmandu. Sort of cord stuff on the outer layer, double fleece-lined. Did the trick although I was quite naturally well-insulated already at the time as I was the wrong side of 20 stone. :oops: I think the jacket cost me a fiver. :D
The men wore a sheepskin chuba like the old fella in the photo i posted. It's quite clever as your can have one arm or your whole torso out when its warmer in the day and you're working up a sweat. Plus looks pretty cool. Sleeves long enough to cover hands.

i have an old GPO duffle hung in the shed. It has no hood, but does have toggles. i am rather attached to it because it has come to represent a bygone era of nationalised public utilities. It was part of my 'kit', an item of uniform if you will. No one much recalls the GPO today, or its public service ethic 😐 🙁

I remember the GPO very fondly every single time I have an issue with Royal Mail, which is, like, a lot.

I used to have a goatskin jacket that my dad had bought off the back of a shepherd in Greece. A beautiful thing and all the stitching was very obviously by hand. My dad gave him plenty of money and was taken back to the homestead for lunch and sign language with the family. Lots of smiling and nodding and children standing shy at the door. I used to nick it off him so he eventually gave it to me, with the story of how he‘d gotten it.

I lost it on a video shoot. I‘ve always suspected the wardrobe mistress hid it from me. One minute it was there, the next it was covered in a pile of other stuff, then when I went to get it, the pile was there but the goatskin wasn’t. She even “helped” me look for it in a half arsed way.

When I was a nipper, I was fascinated and bewildered by the way my dad’s Rothmans would magically appear and disappear. Then when I wore his coat I found a cigarette pack sized secret pocket behind the lapel.

The men wore a sheepskin chuba like the old fella in the photo i posted. It's quite clever as your can have one arm or your whole torso out when its warmer in the day and you're working up a sweat. Plus looks pretty cool. Sleeves long enough to cover hands.

I've always quite liked those "smelly" Afghan coats that hippies used to wear in the 70s (not on me though).

There's a place in Notting Hill that sells them for up to a grand and you know they've imported them for about a tenner.

I think I saw them.

Was also introduced to the pleasures of a yak dung fire. That I could handle. The butter tea was another matter.

I think I saw them.

Was also introduced to the pleasures of a yak dung fire. That I could handle. The butter tea was another matter.
They have a dry stone wall that's pretty much specially for slapping the dung on then letting it wind dry. I found the butter tea bearable after a yomp at altitude, and I'm vegan by and large and boak at accidental milky tea in normal circumstances. Did you try that thing of rolling balls of tsampa in it for a snack?

. Did you try that thing of rolling balls of tsampa in it for a snack?
No I didn't get round to that. I had the porridge stuff though, that was alright. I ate a lot of momos and drank a lot of Lhasa beer that compared very favourably to Nepal and India's stuff.

TIBTAN BEARD WITH EEK was the best thing I saw on a menu. :D A sort of honey coated naan with scrambled egg. Very nice. No beards were harmed in its making, I was assured.

Well after a lot of consultation I was put off the brown coat by a) all the adverse comments from urbanites, pals, my significant other, my daughter etc.

The nappaline finish made me wary too.

I ended up buying a similar coat but in black. More pockets. Better finish. No Big Vern channeling.

I’m excited. This is the most expensive garment I have ever bought. I have no flesh on me and feel the cold and it will be great to be snug.

Back
Top Bottom