Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommend me a winter coat

I've always been sceptical about buying things like that online because I like to feel the fabric at least, but I bought a really excellent, very thick, bright orange smart winter coat from Asos some years ago (Asos brand) that was very high quality, gets tons of compliments, and was only 50 quid. So maybe Asos is worth a try? I was genuinely surprised at its quality.

I also have a Barbour jacket but no one comments on that.

I've always been sceptical about buying things like that online because I like to feel the fabric at least, but I bought a really excellent, very thick, bright orange smart winter coat from Asos some years ago (Asos brand) that was very high quality, gets tons of compliments, and was only 50 quid. So maybe Asos is worth a try? I was genuinely surprised at its quality.

I also have a Barbour jacket but no one comments on that.
I love ASOS for coats, but 9 times out of 10 I won’t find anything I like. Then on the tenth time I’ll find something completely amazing.

Good thread.

I went looking for coats yesterday, my five year old wax cotton Fat Face job is too distressed chic now. Couldn’t find anything I liked. The closest was a proper Barbour, with the wool liner but they had bloody black plastic elbow patches on.

I’ve got a decent goretex for walking and if it’s really cold and wet round town.

I’m 5’11 over weight, recommend me Hive Mind.

If you're after something like a Barbour, have a look at Percussion Clothing. It's a French shooting brand that out-Barbours Barbour, for less than half the price. Their best jackets are the Marly, and the Normandie. They keep costs down by using man-made fabrics but it's excellent quality outdoor gear. Their wellies are ace too.

is it? I've barely got my warmest coat out the last couple of years the winters have been so mild recently - a puffa seems a bit superfluous
metaphorically, yes

i refuse to go inside a pub so its drinking outside this winter for me too

also you're northern ;) i find it cold already

Oh, I'm in my cardigans & woolly hats when I'm outside most of the time now, it's definitely not warm.

I got a down lined gilet a couple of years ago which I'd recommend btw - last year I got through the whole winter wearing that under a mid-weight waxed jacket and it was fine.

Echo Spymaster about Percussion - Decathlon do it if there's one nearby...

An outfield option is Arktis, based in Exeter. They do a wax cotton with fleece-pile lining called the Wax Arctic...

Personally, if I was looking for a solid winter coat that would deal with everything winter could throw at me, I'd go for a Keela or a Carinthia....

is it? I've barely got my warmest coat out the last couple of years the winters have been so mild recently - a puffa seems a bit superfluous
Aye, I was once given a goosedown padded Stussy jacket and I could rarely wear It as it was too warm. The last time I wore it, I had to climb a big fence to evade ticket inspectors and tore it all up the back and that was the end of that

Yes if you want to do anything other than posing a puffer jacket is not the way to go.

Aye, I was once given a goosedown padded Stussy jacket and I could rarely wear It as it was too warm. The last time I wore it, I had to climb a big fence to evade ticket inspectors and tore it all up the back and that was the end of that

When I read that I could picture the down escaping from the back of your jacket ... like snow..blowing in the wind.
🙂

Have to plug North Face down filled coats.

They are fab.

But I think if you really detest that look, and want more traditional styles of coats then you could go for a lifetime investment piece.

Currently reduced to £214.10 from £314.10

5051774912841_main01_83c563b8-9db7-4ebf-bbbd-7429e5386d4b.jpg5051774913152_Grey_Check_main01_27084805-31ee-43c9-a7c9-29c4a8acfe2f.jpg

Or

20201004_134738.jpg

Last edited:
lol what? it's a pretty utilitarian item. Long wool overcoats are much more pose-y
They either cost £800 or they are disposable which is just as well because if you try to do anything the could be termed physical work they rip apart ( I'm not convinced part of the attraction is not "hey look at me I don't have to do any physical work".)

They either cost £800 or they are disposable which is just as well because if you try to do anything the could be termed physical work they rip apart ( I'm not convinced part of the attraction is not "hey look at me I don't have to do any physical work".)
You could say the same about most coats tbf. Should we all wear donkey jackets or something?

(I'm keeping an eye out for a nice donkey jacket tbf)

You could say the same about most coats tbf. Should we all wear donkey jackets or something?

(I'm keeping an eye out for a nice donkey jacket tbf)
The options are not delicate puffer jackets or donkey jackets there are a huge range of overcoats, most disposable but some of varying styles robust and long lasting.

The options are not delicate puffer jackets or donkey jackets there are a huge range of overcoats, most disposable but some of varying styles robust and long lasting.
whatever man, I just think it's a bit ridiculous to dismiss puffa jackets as 'for posers' on a thread where people are talking about spending hundreds of pounds on formal wool overcoats. We all like looking nice.

Why would a poser want to wear an ugly puffa jacket that makes you look like the Michelin man moonlighting as a bouncer?
Good question.Have a look at some photo's of Z list celebs to see how trendy they are.Canada Goose jackets, no doubt well made and good quality, still at risk of ripping but at £800 way outside my budget, cheapo imitations also outside my budget as I can't afford to buy something that will fall apart in a few weeks.By the way the Armor Lux pea jacket is the only jacket of that type I've ever owned, I'm definitely not a fan of the wool coat gangster/business person look.

£10
needs an iron

£20

under £90

Last edited:
Because he fancied a change from looking like a Happy Shopper Nigel Farage?
This is the problem, isn't it. What are perfectly smart and decent coats have been hijacked by right wing dickheads. Every self-respecting racist has a Chesterfield or covert coat in the wardrobe for winter. I’d only wear one formally. Casually you might as well pin a BNP badge on it too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom