Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Uxbridge and South Ruislip by-election

Votes are power and their power is getting weaker and weaker.
How? Where is that manifesting and what does it look like? The tories led the narrative and labour lost the election because they didn't challenge it. The Tories have led the narrative for 13 years while labour has torn itself apart publicly. This country has drifted to the fringes and almost bordering on fascism. We have a media that gaslights us everyday with fringe nonsense, including millionaire's privileged bank accounts. The environment is collapsing and trans people are demonised. Tell me where the tories are losing power? There isn't even an opposition, although the greens seem to be slowly moving into that position. Will be ages before they are effective

Most byelections are due to the death of the incumbent MP.
Historically that's certainly been the case, but I get the impression that by elections resulting from resignations of one sort or another are far more common now that they once were.

Would be interested to know how many BEs in the past decade were due to each cause, and how that compares to a few decades ago.

Historically that's certainly been the case, but I get the impression that by elections resulting from resignations of one sort or another are far more common now that they once were.

Would be interested to know how many BEs in the past decade were due to each cause, and how that compares to a few decades ago.
I'll try to work that out for you, I'm in Manchester this weekend but will give it a go.

From memory, as a very amateur psephologist, I'd say your hunch is correct. MPs tend to be younger and don't hang around, by and large. Deaths are much rarer than, say, the 70s-90s period than the 90s-now

As I say, I'll try to get those figures at some point this weekend.

Post expenses scandal era?

There used to be byelections for proper reasons - like some old lizard had died in a prostitutes bedsit with a citrus fruit up his arse. Now, it’s only once they’ve filled their boots and lined up something more lucrative to parachute into.

There used to be byelections for proper reasons - like some old lizard had died in a prostitutes bedsit with a citrus fruit up his arse. Now, it’s only once they’ve filled their boots and lined up something more lucrative to parachute into.
I have to admit, I don't remember that one 🤔

I have to admit, I don't remember that one 🤔
Well, it was a general catch all description for the kinds of circumstance that used to result in them. Pre revolving door. Yes, ok, there’s always been a revolving door, but it didn’t used to spin this fast with people spilling out of it on behalf of cunts like BJ.

Are you thinking of Stephen Milligan?

It was at his own home and said fruit was in his mouth, whilst some electrical cord was wrapped around his neck.

Are you thinking of Stephen Milligan?

It was at his own home and said fruit was in his mouth, whilst some electrical cord was wrapped around his neck.
Well there you go, wrong end of the digestive system and not a brothel, but those are mere details. There was a valid reason for the expense and trouble of that by-election.

I thinking of a bit more recently than that, tbh.

I'll do some research when I'm at home on a laptop, not out and on my phone, and report back on my findings.
1979-1983
15 deaths, 5 resignations

1983-1987
11 deaths, 15 coordinated resignations in opposition to Anglo-Irish Agreement, and also additional others

1987-1992
20 deaths (including death by suicide), and additional others

1992-1997
16 deaths (including by auto-erotic asphyxiation), and almost no others

1997-2001
10 deaths, two resignations to serve on newly incorporated devolved assemblies, and additional others

2001-2005
Four deaths from only 6 by-elections overall

2005-2010
Five deaths, five resignations (including Boris Johnson resigned to serve as Mayor of London)

2010-2015
6 deaths, two resignations due to fighting election after defecting to UKIP, 12 resignations for various reasons

2015-2017
3 deaths, including one murder, and additional others

2017-2019
1 death, two recall petitions, and additional others

2019-present
4 deaths, including one murder, 12 resignations

1979-1983
15 deaths, 5 resignations

1983-1987
11 deaths, 15 coordinated resignations in opposition to Anglo-Irish Agreement, and also additional others

1987-1992
20 deaths (including death by suicide), and additional others

1992-1997
16 deaths (including by auto-erotic asphyxiation), and almost no others

1997-2001
10 deaths, two resignations to serve on newly incorporated devolved assemblies, and additional others

2001-2005
Four deaths from only 6 by-elections overall

2005-2010
Five deaths, five resignations (including Boris Johnson resigned to serve as Mayor of London)

2010-2015
6 deaths, two resignations due to fighting election after defecting to UKIP, 12 resignations for various reasons

2015-2017
3 deaths, including one murder, and additional others

2017-2019
1 death, two recall petitions, and additional others

2019-present
4 deaths, including one murder, 12 resignations

Thanks, that confirms my suspicions.

The most recent parliament has been pretty extreme, but looks like there was already an increase in the number of resignations going back a couple of decades.

I know it's quite off-topic for this thread, but the one thing that's really annoyed me about the local protesters is that they seem to think they're being forced to buy a brand new car. When there are 20 year-old petrol cars for £500 that are ULEZ compliant.

Yeah my car is 21 years old and near the top of the vehicle tax scale despite having about as much power as a pensioner's fart. But it's still ULEZ compliant somehow.

Anything that challenges the supremacy of the car over the human feels like an oppression and an existential threat to these suburban petit bourgeois types. People who face no actual oppression or existential threats and probably never have in their lives.

I don't think the human brain is wired for being idle and wealthy. It's an extraordinary threat-detection and problem-solving machine honed by evolution. Lacking any other input, it will imagine threats and invent ludicrous solutions to problems that don't exist. And then somehow we end up hearing more about those problems than any of the real ones.

I'm not going to claim that ULEZ was not a factor here but at the same time all the claims that it was the deciding factor are anecdotes from self-interested fuckwits - politicians and lazy journalists.

This seat wasn't a marginal previously, and Labour did not manage to take its predecessor even in 1997. While the Tories had a much larger majority in Selby that seat has a much stronger recent history of Labour support (Labour from 1997-2010). I'm not sure Uxbridge was ever as likely to switch as some talked up, there's always been a strong core Tory vote in the constituency.

Last edited:
The catch here is that the air pollutants that they're trying to control the most are quite easy to moderate in a petrol engine. Which is why there are loads and loads of cars that meet the petrol Euro4 standard before it was law. Diesels are quite resistant to emissions control, Euro6 is expensive to implement. There are very few diesel cars that will be compliant from before Euro6 was law, and the vast majority of those will only be in the one year prior to it.

I know it's quite off-topic for this thread, but the one thing that's really annoyed me about the local protesters is that they seem to think they're being forced to buy a brand new car. When there are 20 year-old petrol cars for £500 that are ULEZ compliant.
My 1996 Toyota import showed up as Ulez compliant. Had it scrapped three years ago as had been in too many prangs so the body was a mess but the engine was still a beaut. Would probably be worth more than I got now.

from teh tweeter

Keir Starmer going further than ever in effectively criticising ULEZ at Labour’s National Policy Forum: “In an election policy matters. And we're doing something very wrong if policies put forward by the Labour Party end up on each and every Tory leaflet."

Well yes, that's the starmer approach - don't have any policies, then you can't be criticised for them...

I could get Labour nationally distancing themselves from ULEZ (“something needs to be done about air pollution, there are issues with the implementation with ULEZ, but it’s a matter for the mayor” or similar) but calling on him to drop a policy in such a knee jerk fashion looks really weak. The story has become this instead of what should be see as them nearly winning a seat they’ve never held.

from teh tweeter

Well yes, that's the starmer approach - don't have any policies, then you can't be criticised for them...

So now I'm really confused Grant Shapps and DoT signed off on ULEZ expansion in October 2020. We've got a couple popping in Scotland over the next year..don't remember Sadiq Khan having much to do with Glasgow and Edinburgh

Indeed, What dies Starmer stand for? At the moment he is an irritatingly adenoidal voice emanating from a policy vacuum.
Dead ringers has got right option 4 under promise and underdeliver.

It will be more of the same ...nothing constructive happening whilst the push me pull you tearing its self apart in government will be wearing a different colour tie.

Back
Top Bottom