Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

US election 2020 thread

There's loads of talk of 25th amendment again, from some pretty serious people this time.
But would that potentially be good for donald trump as in, if he's deemed unfit to be president would he also not be able to stand trial for anything?

If I was an American I’d be less concerned about a ramshackle pitch invasion by a few dozen lions than what oppressive shit the state will enact in response. Don’t cheerlead just because this bunch aren’t on our side.
Don't cheerlead what? the fact that police did nothing?

The crisis ain't gonna get better in the coming years. Fertile ground for some other shitcunt
Certainly Trump has successfully ploughed the field, but I think it needs a good farmer to come along and really work the land for something more to grow...far from impossible, but also possible it all just turn into a muddy bog.

Agree with LBJ, this round of actions this last year comes across amateurish - like overexcited cosplayers. Lets hope it stays that way.
The right wing internet, the whole sweep of it from Qanon to Fox celebs and Sarah Palin, seem to be saying just one thing right now, that any violence or embarrassing behaviour you saw yesterday was not real magas but a big antifa false flag operation, communists disguised as patriots.
Evidence of the overall lack of seriousness there IMO. If they were serious theyd be doubling down now

20% is a serious number of people And a majority of publicans. Question is how soft is that support

from the Guardian:

Trump: 'there will be an orderly transition on 20 January'

Trump’s social media aide Dan Scavino has tweeted a “Statement by President Donald J. Trump on the Electoral Certification”:

Even though I totally disagree with the outcome of the election, and the facts bear me out*, nevertheless there will be an orderly transition on January 20th. I have always said we would continue our fight to ensure that only legal votes were counted. While this represents the end of the greatest first term in presidential history, it’s only the beginning of our fight to Make America Great Again!”

*The facts do not bear Trump out.

So, the people who did this strolled in and then walked out again, taking souvenirs with them. There is just no possible way that the security services were totally surprised by the events of the day, not a chance, it was advertised for weeks, by the actual president 'come on down on 6th it will be wild' etc.
I flicked onto BBC news at one point and they were in the middle of interviewing a woman, I'm not sure exactly who she was but they made reference to her once being a police officer, and she said police would have been surprised because "one of the events had a permit, so they wouldn't have expected them to break their permit, and the other didn't, so they weren't expecting that one either".

Uh-huh... :facepalm:

Last edited:
There's loads of talk of 25th amendment again, from some pretty serious people this time.
But would that potentially be good for donald trump as in, if he's deemed unfit to be president would he also not be able to stand trial for anything?

They're not talking 'unfitness' on the grounds of insanity are they? More on the grounds of being a total cunt, which isn't an excuse in a court of law AFAIK.

I was thinking that last night. Trump has lost. His deranged supporters storming the white hosiery doesn’t change that, but will no doubt be used to justify increasing the power of tne state.

If I was an American I’d be less concerned about a ramshackle pitch invasion by a few dozen lions than what oppressive shit the state will enact in response. Don’t cheerlead just because this bunch aren’t on our side.

Edit: hosiery was an autocorrect error to good to amend

I have to assume/hope that the two things are held to different standards!

Beautiful, white, blonde, cop, veteran. They couldn't have asked for a better martyr

Interesting how a lot of the American news outlets are comparing what happened yesterday with the British burning the White House down in 1814. Normally the yanks don't like talking about that!

Cory Booker tried to claim the British forces were following the flag of a cult leader as well, which was complete rubbish.

The right wing internet, the whole sweep of it from Qanon to Fox celebs and Sarah Palin, seem to be saying just one thing right now, that any violence or embarrassing behaviour you saw yesterday was not real magas but a big antifa false flag operation, communists disguised as patriots.
I'm impressed by this one, which is apparently doing the rounds:
e1f3cfdb4f47487aaee3235f9fe700a93d12ac93.png

There were pictures of these two's faces posted on the Philly Antifa site, which must PROVE that they were antifa thugs, right? Except, um, can anyone else think of any other reasons why someone's face might be posted on an antifa site? ...Oh yeah, that would explain it.

i think it is, 25th amendment means mad not bad.

As I understand it although that was the circumstances they envisaged when they brought in the amendment, it's not how they're speculating it would be used now.

It would be a different standard anyway, I don't think there'd be an issue putting him on trial because of that.

More concerning is the apparent complicity/capitulation of the police. The fact these people largely seem to have been allowed to wander off home, and the vast and painfully obvious difference between that and the policing of black people engaged in genuinely peaceful protest, tells you all you need to know about whether ordinary americans should trust law enforcement.

Back
Top Bottom