Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year 2021

I've sent a list of the 20 albums that I've played the hell out of this year, because that's what really counts.

While we wait for the results here's a list of 10 compilation albums I've enjoyed this year, which I haven't voted for because I know that makes belboid sad:

Nancy Sinatra ‎– Start Walkin' 1965-1976 - there's loads of Nancy Sinatra compilations, but if you haven't got any Nancy in your life, this is the one. I love Nancy.
Ooh, only one I know is the best of Nancy and Lee, is there much overlap with that?

Ooh, only one I know is the best of Nancy and Lee, is there much overlap with that?
Yeah, quite a bit of overlap - Summer Wine, Sand, Some Velvet Morning are all present and correct. But there's people in this world who only know her for These Boots are Made for Walking and they're missing out on how awesome she is, so they should go and buy, borrow or steal this now.

I've sent a list of the 20 albums that I've played the hell out of this year, because that's what really counts.

While we wait for the results here's a list of 10 compilation albums I've enjoyed this year, which I haven't voted for because I know that makes belboid sad:

Disco75 - does the world really need another disco compilation? On the evidence of this 3CD deep dive into disco tracks from 1975, which covers well known classics and obscurities I've never heard of, the answer is a resounding YES!

Curses presents Next Wave Acid Punx - a CD of 80s alt-dancefloor classics - EBM, New Beat, Yello and Colourbox; a CD of recent dance tracks inspired by that sound; and (what makes this set so amazing) a CD of all brand new tracks in the same style. I was originally going to just download any tracks I wanted, but then I found I wanted all of it, so I bought the thing.

AKO150 presents Defender - an album of new jungle tracks that is as good as any jungle compilation that's ever been released. Thanks for bring this to my attention ska invita - I've had a bit of a jungle revival this year thanks to this.

It's A Good Good Feeling: The Latin Soul Of Fania Records - all the latin soul singles that Fania Records released between 1967 and 1975. The box set is on my Christmas list. Hope I've been good enough for Santa this year.

Italians Do It Better - an album of Madonna covers from artists on the IDIB label. Some are quite faithful, others are unrecognisable. All are worth hearing.

Nancy Sinatra ‎– Start Walkin' 1965-1976 - there's loads of Nancy Sinatra compilations, but if you haven't got any Nancy in your life, this is the one. I love Nancy.

Driving Blind Vol 2 -all killer no filler album of house/electro/breakbeat/trance/acid/techno from French label les Yeux Orange.

Foundations (Deewee 200) - electro disco and synthpop from Soulwax's latest label.

DJ Athome presents Spaced Out! - remember the early 90s when crusty festival acts started making ambient techno? Here's a compilation of the stuff. I wasn't much of a fan at the time, preferring banging dance tunes, but I quite like this comp. Trigger Warning: contains Ozric Tentacles.

Now Thing 2 - follow up to 2001's showcase of instrumental dancehall tunes. Worth the wait.
Some more comps:

Awesome, don't know anything about music from this region, so all new to me

Techno essentials, and a few new remixes/tunes

Worth it for the Depeche Mode alone

Guts' comps are all worth checking out

New Detroit techno and house

DJ Harvey - nuff said?

I've not actually listened to this one yet, but if it's anything like Divine Disco, it should be ace.

Techno. From/played in Berlin. It's got good stuff on.

Yeah, quite a bit of overlap - Summer Wine, Sand, Some Velvet Morning are all present and correct. But there's people in this world who only know her for These Boots are Made for Walking and they're missing out on how awesome she is, so they should go and buy, borrow or steal this now.
God there's a lot of great Lee & Nancy songs. Did You Ever, Jackson, I've Been Down So Long... the hot new sound of 2021 right there.

It is all as eclectic as fuck at the moment. having 'black' in your name seems to be key thus far

Shitting bollocks! I had my list all neat and ready for this thread to open a couple of weeks ago, and now I try to find it, inevitably, it's vanished :mad:

Back to the drawing board

If it's any consolation, Shitting Bollocks are a shoo in for top 3 this year.

I love a band who choose their name in full knowledge that they make such an unholy racket that they'll never have to worry about whether Zoe Ball will be allowed to say it on Radio 2 anyway. Similar 'fuck it anyway' vibe that you get from those blokes who have swear words tattooed on a visible part of their face or neck .

I like Hania Rani and this years album with Dobrawa Czocher is good contemporary classical listening

Last edited:
My list is in.

I knew my top three straight away but then when I listened to some of the lists of the year I found a few massive curveball that I'd never heard of and probably wouldn't listen to normally. And they went straight in.

Architects
Japanese breakfast
Deafhaven
Arlo Parks

Well submitted mine. Absolute nightmare of a year. Nothing I absolutely love but I can't find anything that's anything less than great.

Really? I can say with some confidence, without having heard it, that the recent Coldplay album was shite.

New releases by old bands don't count they're from the past and expected to be shite. Listening to Music of the Spheres now though. It's hooky and electronic so far. Not really my cup of tea, I don't really like that it's so trying hard to be catchy. But it's a 90's pop band what do you expect? And it's pretty good for what it is - some decent and tasteful electronic swirlings. I've never really understood the hatred of Coldplay other than that Chris Martin is a bit annoying.

I'll try the Manic's release next, the little I heard from it suggests it's a genuine stinker.

Edit: The Ultra Vivid Lament is harmless fluff. The lyrics don't fit well with the songs but I'm not going to beat up on the Manic's because that would be like kicking an old dependable dog. TBH not half as bad as I was expecting. Not as good as Coldplay though.

Last edited:
Dammit, totally missed this.

Still, I trust you've all voted for the Ducks Ltd album, so there's nothing to worry about right?

Little Simz for the win, I reckon. Maybe there were a few votes for the Haiku Salut album too? It is a wonder.

Is there still time belboid ? Some (happy) things in my life mean that I haven't had the chance to compile a list yet...doing it now.

Back
Top Bottom