Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year 2020

30 Soccer Mommy - Color Theory

Soccer_Mommy_-_Color_Theory.png

Pop inflected indie rock.

you've posted this in the wrong thread!

Dagnammit, can't believe I missed it this year. New job means I barely ever get on urban. I wrote it up for my facebook anyway so I'll post it here.

1. For those I love - into a world that doesn’t understand it, unless you’re from it
I’ve absolutely rinsed, since I head a singular track that isn’t even on it on BBC radio 6. The Album (mixtape) is on Bandcamp, not one on spotify.

2. High Contrast - Notes from the underground
Classic rave vibes, modern production. High Contrast can be a little bit hit and miss on releases but this whole album is a banger, again I heard the track with Tae Tempest on BBC Radio 6, and then seeing it mentioned on facebook made me realise there was a new album out.

3. Caribou - suddenly
This may seem like a weird choice for me, but I properly rate caribou, this album is good for both dancing and sleeping.

4. Clown core - Van
Those weird clown heavy metal videos I keep posting on facebook where they’re driving about in a minivan…… yeah, them.

5. Spongebob Squarewave - Return to the rave
Samples and silliness, it was obviously going to be in my top 15.

6. Igorrr - Spirituality and Distortion
Baroque, Breakcore and Metal, this is the stuff of Simmy’s dreams.

7. Goldfinger - Never Look Back
Angsty teenage singalong punk made by middle aged men who’ve been around for yonks. Its a great album, full of nostalgia even though you’ve never heard the sounds before.

8. Shygirl - Alias
This is an EP rather than an album, but a properly good mashup of vibes. PC Music style.

9. Tame impala - the slow rush
I have to have something to listen to in the ambulance, and everything else isn’t suitable, but this is my go to which is inoffensive. Great album.

10. M-project - rave expedition
Japanese Hardcore innit.

11. Napalm Death - Throes of joy in the jaws of defeatism
Definitely not playable in the ambulance.

12. Paradise Lost - Obsidian
Reliable, industrial rock music.

13. Y-Bayani and Baby Naa & their band of enlightenment reason and love - Nsie Nsie
My top reggae album of this year, its got a slight jazz vibe to it too…… Sunday afternoon listening.

14. Blizzard - logic on lunch break
Remember the don’t flop teacher vs student battle? Blizzard was the ‘student’, his new album is wicked.

15. Bishop nehru - Nehruvia: my disregarded thoughts
Absolutely wicked rapper, always smashes it

16. John Frusciante - Maya
Y’know the guitarist from the Red Hot Chilli Peppers? He makes jungle too.

17. Machinedrum - A view of u
Chilled out Machinedrum vibes, the tune with Sub Focus on is a banger.

18. Spoek Mathambo - Tales from the lost cities
African Rap with an off key edge, I’ve always been quite keen on Spoek Mathambo, but this album isn’t living up to the previous one in quite the same way

19. Idles - ultra mono
So I really like Idles, but this album didn’t quite live up to previous ones as much, still good though.

20. Hudson Mohawke - Airborne Lard
Sadly I haven’t listened to this one quite as much as I’d of liked to before making my list, its good, but I’m not 100% sure how good yet, but it is worth a recommendation

Dagnammit, can't believe I missed it this year. New job means I barely ever get on urban. I wrote it up for my facebook anyway so I'll post it here.

Oh yeah that Clown Core one is a lot of fun. We all seem to have missed it on urban...

Post your list anyways

Not sure I've got much of one sadly - it's wasn't a year of listening to much new music for me. This year's Urban list will have to be my catch up guide. That Craven Faults album sounds excellent, judging from the one track posted.

I think I bought three albums this year:

Sweeping Promises - Hunger For A Way Out

Seazoo - Joy

And the Sufjan album which wasn't all that.

Not sure I've got much of one sadly - it's wasn't a year of listening to much new music for me. This year's Urban list will have to be my catch up guide. That Craven Faults album sounds excellent, judging from the one track posted.
I only know one of my albums of the year from the Kip Berman HDIF set, there's probably some other new gold there if anyone fancies going through it.

16. John Frusciante - Maya
Y’know the guitarist from the Red Hot Chilli Peppers? He makes jungle too.

Dear Lord

I know I've been a sinner and a nonbeliever but I'll perform any atonement you ask of me if you can only promise me I will never have to hear a single second of this.

Yours in hope,

billy_bob

Back
Top Bottom