Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year 2020

The Chats - High Risk Behaviour.

Blimey, I'm impressed by how well those Australians seem to be chanelling the pure spirit of Hard Skin there.
Predictions anyone? Reckon a strong showing for Roisin Murphy, Taylor Swift, Sault, The Soft Pink Truth.
If Fiona & the Apples aren't right up there then this place really is very different from the internet echo chambers I'm familiar with.

mate just dig in wherever - I found so many great albums I'd not come across otherwise from that list.

Yeah I've liked your selection from it, just considering right now if Irreversible Entanglements have the best album of the year. And unless I find something very special very soon, it's looking that way.

I'm not getting through all that by midnight though...

Don't think I have listened to one new album this year. Hmm...

Well you've got 9 hours, listen to two at once* and you can get a list of 20 together.

*I've done this before to meet belboid's deadlines. But never listen to more than two at once, that's getting silly.

Well you've got 9 hours, listen to two at once* and you can get a list of 20 together.

*I've done this before to meet belboid's deadlines. But never listen to more than two at once, that's getting silly.

I got excited when I realised I had listened to a new album this year! Only to again remember that it's a re-release/compilation...

As Radiohead and Nick Cave didn't release albums this year, it has to be some average hipster folk singer at number 1.
Nick Cave is a reliable number 1, but Radiohead have lost it - they were number 3 last time they released an album (2016)

There is a Nick Cave album this year, I should point out. It was even recorded this year, so is undeniably enterable.

The second run through is complete. Some shift from the mid-week charts, with a couple of things moving clearly ahead. Although there is still plenty of time for that to change.

All my clever planning and lining up the inevitable choices in advance has gone to pot as you bunch of eclectic mofo's have included barely any of them. I've got lots of 'who the fuck are they?'s' to go look up.

My bet for urban75 no.1 is Fetch the Box Cutters. High profile, personal and really good. (Just got round to listening to it). Not much talked of on here but I think it will pick up votes.

(Not that it's my favourite)

I think the recent year's charts have been the best ever actually - always some real curveballs, and the obvious press acclaimed top albums often don't appear at all.

I remember looking back at a mid-00s rundown and finding The Fratellis there. Fairly sure such a lapse wouldn't happen now.

I remember looking back at a mid-00s rundown and finding The Fratellis there. Fairly sure such a lapse wouldn't happen now.
just had a look through the first few, back when it was more amateurishly run. I'd forgotten all about Clor (and I own it) and have no recollection of I'm from Barcelona at all.

My fave album of the year. A Girl Called Eddy won’t get a look in but I’ve discovered through the threads this year some stuff I wouldn’t normally have heard tbh so all’s well that ends well

There is a Nick Cave album this year, I should point out. It was even recorded this year, so is undeniably enterable.

Was it? Oh bollocks. It must have been in the brief 2020 pre-pandemic: window feels like about three years ago.

Anyone kind of know what their album of the year would be as soon as they heard it? I think I did, 2nd and 3rd place were quite easy too.

My fave album of the year. A Girl Called Eddy won’t get a look in but I’ve discovered through the threads this year some stuff I wouldn’t normally have heard tbh so all’s well that ends well

I always wondered what happened to her and then she popped up again this year. Her first or second EP was very good.

I always wondered what happened to her and then she popped up again this year. Her first or second EP was very good.
First was one of those records you just think wow. But i think she did the right thing in doing something different for a long awaited second album and its musical references are spot on; Carol King/Steely Dan,/Laura Nyro etc and that luscious Chrissy Hyde voice at times. Brilliantly unfashionable but class in that genre .

just had a look through the first few, back when it was more amateurishly run. I'd forgotten all about Clor (and I own it) and have no recollection of I'm from Barcelona at all.

That Clor album is one of the most criminally underrated lost pop gems of recent times. A perennial favourite for me.

Anyone kind of know what their album of the year would be as soon as they heard it? I think I did, 2nd and 3rd place were quite easy too.

Last year, yes, straight away, but not this year.

Back
Top Bottom