Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year 2020

If Fiona & the Apples aren't right up there then this place really is very different from the internet echo chambers I'm familiar with.

I don't understand that Fiona Apple album. I gave it a spin (stream really) the other day and it was the dullest wet indie. I was bored very quickly. Do I persist? Is it going to grow on me?

Just played the Clor album again. It is very noughties, tries a bit too hard in places, but bloody brilliant in others. Top hole.

fucking hell, but you're an annoying bunch.

Another last minute spate of votes comes in and it's all change again. There has been a demand for signature verification, and a general disbelief at 'dumps' in the middle of the night. However all voters have been verified, and if they want to vote for Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, they're perfectly entitled to.

Ballots postmarked the 18th may be accepted, dependent upon protestations from Taylor Swift.

Next year, we should group all voters according to their favourite genre, assign a certain number of votes to each genre group based on the proportion of releases that year belonging to that genre as a percentage of total releases, with appropriate weighting for popularity of the genre relative to the genre average, and use that to determine the winners instead of simple popular majority.

Simple and fair. I'm sure it could save belboid a lot of trouble.

We should be all ready for tomorrow night. Interesting... interesting...

In the meanwhile, here's a little pop quiz. Who said, earlier tonight:

"So that's what you've been doing all day, the Urban seventy-fucking-five album of the year list. Well, thanks a lot for being helpful."?

Last edited:
Next year, we should group all voters according to their favourite genre, assign a certain number of votes to each genre group based on the proportion of releases that year belonging to that genre as a percentage of total releases, with appropriate weighting for popularity of the genre relative to the genre average, and use that to determine the winners instead of simple popular majority.

Simple and fair. I'm sure it could save belboid a lot of trouble.
Agree with separate genre's but a lot of extra work for someone. Much of my taste is hard rock but have also being toying with country rock this
year and my voting has reflected this. I would guess it is quite different from most peoples selections on here.

We should be all ready for tomorrow night. Interesting... interesting...

In the meanwhile, here's a little pop quiz. Who said, earlier tonight:

"So that's what you've been doing all day, the Urban seventy-fucking-five album of the year list. Well, thanks a lot for being helpful."?
Tell this mystery person that we are all very fucking grateful

I'm From Barcelona were a brief craze on the boards, possibly clandestino had something to do with them?

Clor were pushed heavily by twistedAM (and were also pretty good tbf, I think - I've not listened to them in many years)

Yeah I did go on about Clor a wee bit!! Barry Dobbin has a new album coming out soon with his current outfit Barringtone. I think it's taken longer to release than Chinese Democracy as he formed the band pretty soon after Clor split. Heard a few tracks - Clor fans should really like it.

Yeah I did go on about Clor a wee bit!! Barry Dobbin has a new album coming out soon with his current outfit Barringtone. I think it's taken longer to release than Chinese Democracy as he formed the band pretty soon after Clor split. Heard a few tracks - Clor fans should really like it.
it appears to have been released in August in fact!

Anyone kind of know what their album of the year would be as soon as they heard it? I think I did, 2nd and 3rd place were quite easy too.

I thought the Jerskin Fendrix album would be hard to beat soon as I heard it and whilst I haven't really kept track of albums this weird year, I haven't heard anything to better it.
Loud and Quiet magazine voted it number one as well.

I thought the Jerskin Fendrix album would be hard to beat soon as I heard it and whilst I haven't really kept track of albums this weird year, I haven't heard anything to better it.
Loud and Quiet magazine voted it number one as well.

a lot going on here - going to check out the rest of the album now, ta.

(didn't find much to grab in in the first few songs of the Barringtone LP though - might have liked it a decade ago...)

30 Soccer Mommy - Color Theory

Soccer_Mommy_-_Color_Theory.png

Pop inflected indie rock.

This isn't the results thread dude.

Great record though.

Back
Top Bottom