Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year 2020 - the Results

Yeah, I'm thinking Apple might replace Faults in Killerb's line up. Not that I've been paying close attention.

I've not seen any buzz about Fiona Apple's latest on here at all - I don't think she's made it guys.

Is it any good in anyone's opinion on here? I didn't find anything that wrong with it but couldn't see why it was any more exciting than any other bog standard indie singer-songwriter album.

Fair enough. I was thinking it might not make many people's top ten but several top 20's and not quite score.

Is it any good in anyone's opinion on here? I didn't find anything that wrong with it but couldn't see why it was any more exciting than any other bog standard indie singer-songwriter album.
I dunno, I've not listened to it. I read a couple of reviews and nothing convinced me it would be a worthwhile way to spend my time.

I had a very rushed listen to it, and it was plainly innovative, well sung and with interesting personal material. It was bit too shiny and polished for me, but then so are most things these days.

Didn't really do it for me either, but as she's no.1 or thereabouts in most other polls I'll be surprised if she doesn't show up here

I refuse to listen to these guys because of their terrible name.
Aww, but look at them...
1330MP-working-mens-club-banner-original.jpg

They are competent but just made me want to listen to real NO/JD instead.
If all you hear is a NO/JD tribute you're missing all the other Factory Records acts they sound like.

It's a good album.

The top three had better all be ones on my list, cos nothing else is so far. Distorted tape-loops of Afghan folk music just don't get the attention they deserve :(

Aww, but look at them...
1330MP-working-mens-club-banner-original.jpg

If all you hear is a NO/JD tribute you're missing all the other Factory Records acts they sound like.

It's a good album.

That's just going to make me want to turn them off and listen to ACR/ and Durutti Column then.

Ah go on then. I'll give it another try.

I don't really want to listen to a band in 2020 that sounds like early 80s factory acts though, didn't they wear that out 15 years ago?
Not if they've got a fistful of good tunes and the youthful energy to put themselves into it, no.

Shit, I voted for a Ye-Ye album, they wore that sound out 53 years ago. If an album's good, it's good.

I absolutely love the Fiona Apple album and it's definitely the record I've listened to most in 2020. The sense of confinement and switches from joy to despair in it is very this year.

Probably a good argument to make that angular post-punk is indigenous folk music of the north-west of england tbf

Parallel and intertwined with New York 'No-Wave'? There's a certain symbiosis between their development, as I understand it.

Here we go then, the top three. And it was very close, a single point between first and second and only a late clarification about which Untitled album was meant was pretty important too.

3 Sault - Untitled (Black Is)

Sault_-_Untitled_%28Black_Is%29.jpg

Undeniable the best value album of the year, it's a corruscating protest album that is musically magnificent.

I think Wildfires will be my song of the decade. The way that 'Unfinished Sympathy' obviously was in 1991. It doesn't matter that it's so early.

Back
Top Bottom