Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year 2019 - the results!

belboid

Exasperated, not angry.
Well, you made that harder work than usual. The largest ever turnout, more albums voted for than ever before, including lots I had to go and look up to find out wtf they were. And I am (mostly) bloody glad I did.

The plethora of votes does mean there are a lot more tied albums than usual, the ultimate winner got quite a low total as we all liked a well eclectic bunch of very groovy stuff. And the occasional piece of utter, utter, shit :)

Let's hope at least one of these can put a smile on your face with it's complete marvellousness.

30 The Mekons - Deserted

Mekons_Deserted.jpg

A concept album about the desert. Even better than that makes it sound!

29 Girl Band ‎– The Talkies

girlband_thetalkies.jpg

Moaning and sawing guitars, atonal blankets of sound, abstractive lyrical repetition

16 The Comet is Coming - Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery

The_Comet_Is_Coming_-_Trust_in_the_Lifeforce_of_the_Deep_Mystery.png

The title pretty much gives you the clue as to what to expect. Cosmic jazz baby.

14 Brighde Chaimbeul – The Reeling

R-13594016-1557650003-3199.jpeg.jpg

Even more celtic than it sounds from the name alone. Skye based 'smallpiper' (that’s the instrument, I am unaware of Ms Chaimbeul's height).

12 Lightning Bolt - Sonic Citadel

soniccitadel.jpg

Actually, these appear to be our favourite sonic dystopians. Bass n drum genius, with occasional actual tunes.

8 The Delines - The Imperial

R-13020257-1546604323-9465.jpeg.jpg

Four years late, but worth every minute of the wait. What becomes of the broken-hearted? If they're lucky they end up being immortalised in the stories of Willy Vlautin.

7 LINGUA IGNOTA – CALIGULA

LinguaIgnota_Caligula.jpg

This is the one that made mrsb go 'wtf?' A 'murderous amalgam of opera, metal, and noise that uses her classical training like a Trojan Horse, burning misogyny to ash from its Judeo-Christian roots.' accordng to pitchfork, and who could argue?

6 Richard Dawson - 2020

2020.jpg

Dickie's back, and he thinks the state of the world is generally a bit shit.

5 Purple Mountains - Purple Mountains

Purple_Mountains_-_Purple_Mountains.png

A goodbye present from the great David Berman, a fine selection of Americana and mordant wit.

Back
Top Bottom