Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year 2013 revisited

I think this might have been a 2012 release
Apparently released in November 2012 in Japan, but released in the rest of the world in February 2013. I don't care what the rest of you fules say, it's still the best album of 2013 :p

I did make a mistake Knotted. RTJ should have been Number 1. Can't stop listening to it.

Obvs no need to change it, I'm sure it will still be number 1

6= - Caitlan Rose - The Stand In

1701449490538.png

Poppy alt-country, nothing that will tax the ears but at the same time that's the type of music that requires the most repeated listens and are really the hardest work. I gave this a good chance today. I'm getting there. The songs don't leap out and the vocals are very understated but there's a gentle vibe about them. Splendid peddle steel guitar as well.

23= - 青葉市子 Ichiko Aoba - O

1701450736865.png

My choice but it would be your choice too if you give it a listen. I've spent the last week door knocking - "have you heard the good news? Ichiko Aoba made an album called O. It is your salvation." Solo guitar + vocals, no frippery.

I've had a few lonely no 1s that I was shocked no-one else voted for, but with this one I had prepared myself for the possibility that no-one else was going to appreciate the majesty of Why Do Birds...?

4 - The Ex & Brass Unbound - Enormous Door

1701453088209.png

The Ex are a rare example of a band that got better as they aged. They're also very good at collaborations. Katherina Bornefeld is the world's most underrated drummer. Like a colourful machine. Brass Unbound otoh will destroy you.

Go on then. Guess the top 3 and I'm going to watch you all fail. Prepare for at least one upset.

Back
Top Bottom