Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year 1992

Knotted

Bet the horse knew his name
Well fuck you I'm going to do a 1992 aoty whether or not you told me.

Send me a list. With the format Artist - Album (or if necessary Performer [Composer] - Album). Any length of list is fine. Best at the top. No compilations, no EP's. Live albums are fine. Archival albums are also fine but it's release date not recording date that counts.

Rate Your Music says. Rolling Stone says. NME says.

You have February to research and get it together. We move on to 2002 for March.

Got to be -
Selected_Ambient_Works_85-92.png

From a quick look, must've been a big year for hiphop, black metal and riot grrl? My slant on is that, while there were some enchanting albums that year, there were also some that terrorised a generation.

Fucked if I can work out how to get "a blaze in the northern sky" into a sentence though.

This was what I was into. Swedish prog revival.

%C3%84nglag%C3%A5rd%20-%20Hybris%2C%20Cover%20art.jpeg

That's Änglagård's Hybris incase you can't read it.

A quick look at Rolling Stone and the NME makes it sound like an awful year, but I'm sure it was much better than 82

anBlZw.jpeg

Satyricon should need no introduction. When people think of the big British dance albums of the 90s they should think of this along with Orbital's Brown Album and Dubnobass and SAW and UFOrb, certainly before Leftism or Music For The Jilted Generation or anything by the Chemical Bros, which pale into insignificance compared to how great this album is.

It's an industrial album after taking loads of pills. It's the absolute pinnacle of Meat Beat Manifesto's career. Everything about this album is exactly as it should be - the vocals are where they need to be and work to add to the tunes. There's big dance tracks, there's sample cut ups, there's an excellent balance of creepy, groovy and goofy. The whole thing flows perfectly.

This is a desert island disc for me. There's never been a time since it came out that I haven't loved listening to it. That shirt is something else.

The journos love that REM album. I always took a principled stance against it, but I may cave on revisiting.

REM are one of those bands I've given many 'revists'... but I always conclude I don't really like 'em that much..

OC03NDg5LmpwZWc.jpeg

Nomeansno's ice hockey themed tribute to the Ramones. This album is start to finish brilliant. It's so good it almost renders all other guitar music from 1992 superfluous.

I think for these things I always think of a load of bands that turn out to have had a record in the wrong year, so I've just checked the 1991 thread and:
I feel like the early 90s must have been a big time for industrial, but having just checked Laibach, Ministry, KMFDM, and Skinny Puppy all decided to release albums in 1990 or 1992 instead of 1991.

Sainte Etienne are one of those ones who've been on my longlist for ages but I've never really got around to listening to. Are they as good as the Aldi knockoff Stella? Also in what I vaguely think of as being that sort of thing, Stereolab didn't do an album till 92...

Oh, and Generation Terrorists was early 1992

What are the other big hiphop records from that year we're missing? I see De La Soul had an album that year, turns out Boogie Down's last two albums were 1990 and 1992 though.

Also, as with riot grrl, suppose it was an important year for first-wave black metal, but not many records came out then, so anyone who's desperate to vote for a Burzum album will have to wait for the 1992 list.
So there you go, fans of Boogie Down Productions, Stereolab and/or Burzum.

The Nicolette album, think I dismissed it at the time expecting something more breakbeat hardcore sounding from SUAD but had a re-listen earlier this year and it's very good indeed.
Nicolette - Now is Early

Last edited:
So much music that year! (And so much procrastination this afternoon). I think of Le Jardin de Heavenly as being a tiny bit much overall, but it does have objectively the best pop song ever written:

I've never actually listened to You Turn Me On, can anyone tell me if I like it? I sort of think of Dreamy as being a tiny bit too much like "proper music" and losing what makes the earlier stuff great, and the track lengths look a bit offputting, but I should probably actually listen to it before making my mind up I suppose?

By 92 I think I was mostly now listening to mixtapes and 12's, and neither are really for this thread. Which is a shame as things are starting to take off

Big year for both Dre and Ice Cube. And Body Count had an album as well, although most of the songs that aren't Cop Killer are a bit terrible.
Yeah but..... Cop Killer.

And Bodycount In The House. When I had a metal bar in London that was the last song we played at closing time. Place went mental.

Plus Rage Against the Machine, which is think was also 92

Back
Top Bottom