Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year 1973

Not a single woman in the list afaict.

Although, tbf, I have the same issue with my own preliminary list. That and also, it reads a bit like a game of "what drug do all these albums have common".
I just put the list up.

1973 is almost 50 years ago. I'm sure attitudes to women in popular music have shifted since then.

I think they have.

Roberta Flack (78) & Betty Davis (80)

If reincarnations count, Alice Cooper (36). And that is a fucking great album, his/their last magnificent one.
OK, only 98% woman-free.

For gender-swap names, though, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks had an album out in 1973. Don't think I've ever heard it.

Yeah, still very poor. Altho both Gong albums do have a female lead vocalist on some of the songs.

Looking over the RYM list for '73 with female vocals, it isn't a strong list. No Joni album and the Aretha was fairly dull, nothing else really shouts out to me

Here's a couple of Swedish (mainly) instrumental progressive rock gems.

Kattvals - Kvartetten Som Sprängde

1689508399670.png

You may have trouble streaming the whole of this, but if you can its worth it. Sprawling guitar/organ led jamming. Closer to krautrock than British prog rock.

Samla Mammas Manna - Mältid

1689508786604.png

Second album and definitely their best in their early period when they were still spelling their name with S's rather than Z's. Arguably their best album overall. Dense, jazzy and playful. So damn playful. Drummer Hasse Bruniusson plays like he's letting you in on some rhythmic joke - humourous but without gimmicks. I don't know how a drummer does that. Some big prog rock build ups but with absurd squeaky vocals like they're laughing at you for enjoying it (and at themselves for that matter). Also distinctively Swedish although it's hard to give that precise meaning. There's a handful of secret prog rock albums that not many people know about but are somehow uniquely joyful. This is one of them. It's so good I could cry although criticism - it's not particularly colourful in terms of timbre.

I just put the list up.

1973 is almost 50 years ago. I'm sure attitudes to women in popular music have shifted since then.

I think they have.
i dont know about "attitudes" but there are still today a surprising near total lack of female producers out there (im thinking electronic music especially, but not only)...there's always been singers and i would guess that has improved as a percentage also. female djs is one area that is genuinely improving

Big name Brit prog rock run down:

Pink Floyd - Bleedin' Dark Side of that bloody Moon again

1689509512947.png

I've grown to appreciate this over time although I still hate it. I like earlier Pink Floyd because its trippy and explorative and I like other prog rock because it's fun and overreaches. This is just well made and emotionally effective so it can fuck off.

Genesis - Selling England by the Pound

1689509829531.png

This is a fan favourite but there's a couple of songs on this that I personally really don't like - Battle of Epping Forrest and I Know What I like - but on the other hand there are couple of songs I like - Firth of Fifth and More Fool Me. To commit sacriledge I think at this stage I think it's Peter Gabriel holding the band back.

Yes - Fucking Tales from Topographic Oceans

1689510229988.png

Whatever you think about Yes, up until this point they had been a really tight outfit with a killer rhythm section. This is Yes loosening their sound with their new drummer and expanding their songs even further (four side long tracks) and ramping up the mysticism. To get into it is a bit like joining a cult run by Jon Anderson. "Yes, yes it's all about the STORY, now I can see!" Side three is interesting and then pleasantly twee, I'll still stan that.

ELP - Brain Salad Surgery

1689510644691.png

Cool Giger cover aside, this is a return to the sci-fi bombast of their second album Tarkus. It's not very colourful and not much fun, but some people like it and to be fair Keith Emerson was good at what he did. Karn Evil 9 may bring back memories of Jim Davison era Generation Game.

As mentioned by The39thStep there's King Crimson's Larks Tongues in Aspic, which is probably my favourite from them. I'll just put this footage here:

Jethro Tull - A Passion Play

1689511205664.png

Not a fan favourite apparently, but I always found it more engaging than Thick as a Brick.

As mentioned there's Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells as well. I like Tubular Bells. It's a little bit wooden but I think Mike Oldfield plays the guitar with real attack, and there's some motifs which are to die for in it.

Last edited:
Canterbury run down

Caravan - Girls who go Plump in the Night

1689511945542.png

This is a good one from Caravan, probably their last really good one. Dreamy, melodic, whimsical goodness. I love this song about a dog - it's like a love song.

Soft Machine - Six and Seven

1689512167977.png

1689512625333.png

The first ones with Karl Jenkins and really a very, very different band to the 1968 group or even the 1970 group. Jazz rock grooves and soloing. You may like the early stuff and hate this but it's pretty good in its own right.

Kevin Ayers - Banamour

1689512500144.png

The fourth and final instalment of an amazing run of albums from Ayers. Probably the weakest of the four but still his songs reach out and talk straight to you. Beautiful songs, beautiful arrangements.

Saving the best for the last:

Hugh Hopper - 1984

1689512924254.png

Another refugee from the ever changing Soft Machine releasing an amazing debut. There's bits of jazz rock which are quite dated but there are some extended experimental solo bass outings which are amazing but I can't find them to stream. Just go out and buy this. It's fantastic.

Last edited:
i wonder if people are going to vote for Fela? Theres always a Fela album and its easy to get blazay about it. both truly great records though, especially so within a 1973 context i think <more groundbreaking than it might seem after years of familiarity

Other Brit prog rock I would recommend run down

Gentle Giant - In a Glass House

1689513870211.png

The first without the older Shulman brother Phil. This is always a niche band but amazingly consistently good at what they do. And this is another great one (again with the caveat it's that's never going to be for everyone). A bit more complex than anything before and a little dryer but also finding a groove. Personally not my favourite of theirs but I'm in a minority on that.

Peter Banks - Two Sides of Peter Banks

1689514332791.png

That's original guitarist out of Yes and Flash, but this is better than either of those. Joined by Jan Akkerman the guitarist out of Focus. A really good dreamy guitar album that sounds like a soundtrack to something. A real gem and easy to overlook.

Peter Hamill - Chamelon in the Shadow of the Night

1689514869970.png

If you know Peter Hamill you know what to expect. Super dramatic vocals underscored by shifting key centres. Much more stripped back than Van Der Graaf Generator, you can relax and vibe to this without David Jackson blasting away in your ears.

Camel - Camel

1689515941117.png

Became this melodic soft rock band but for the first couple of albums Camel had this Canterburyesque jam going on.

There are probably several others worthy of attention but I'm not sure I have time. Lots happening in Italy this year.

Last edited:
i wonder if people are going to vote for Fela? Theres always a Fela album and its easy to get blazay about it. both truly great records though, especially so within a 1973 context i think <more groundbreaking than it might seem after years of familiarity

Yes I think there's two. I guess we need a conversation about whether they are EPs.

This Year in Fleetwood Mac

Previously... Danny's alcoholism spun out of control, he smashed his guitar on stage and walked off, leaving the band.

This episode... Danny is replaced by Bob and Dave. The band hire The Rolling Stones' mobile studio and record a soft rock album, Penguin, throwing off the last traces of the blues act they started as. John's drinking is out of control and he isn't getting on with Christine, preventing them promoting the album. Dave feels excluded from the band and leaves (eventually replacing Ozzy Osborne in Black Sabbath). The band record another album, Mystery to Me, trying out different styles and moving towards the sound that would see them hit the big time. On the US tour to promote the album Bob has an affair with Mick's wife. Mick freaks out and throws Bob out of the band. Meanwhile, in California young couple Stevie and Lindsey release an album, which flops leaving them wondering what they'll do next...

On our next installment... rival versions of the band tour at the same time.

Som Imaginário - Matança do porco

1689517652975.png

Such a curious band. Started out as this madcap experimental Brazilian psych rock. First two albums are proper holy shit but fantastic. Then they go and do jazzy prog rock better than anyone else. Weirdly similar to the Samlas (see above), colourful and astonishingly pristine if you have ever listened to their earlier work. And then towards the end of the album they go straight jazz (with a samba inflection) and ace that as well.

Just realised Toninho Horta was in Som Imaginário. I really liked his 1980 Terra dos pássaros album. And there's also this from 1973 Beto Guedes/Danilo Caymmi/Novelli/Horta. It's not prog rock/psych rock at all but it's pretty cool MPB album.

1689520694694.png

Quick summary. British prog rock albums really worth listening to IMO:

King Crimson - Larks Tongues in Aspic
Henry Cow - Legend
Caravan - For Girls Who Go Plump in the Night
Kevin Ayers - Banamour
Hugh Hopper - 1984
Two sides of Peter Banks

Peter Hammil - Chameleon in the Shadow of the Night
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells

With a few exceptions I think we're past the best of this scene already and the Henry Cow and to a lesser extent the Hugh Hopper and King Crimson and Mike Oldfield represent something quite new.

Ike & Tina Turner - Nutbush City Limits

One of Tina Turner's biggest hits, but the rest of the album continues in much the same hard rocking funk style. Even the cover of normally cutesy You Are My Sunshine is turned into a sweat drenched funk workout.

The Al Green album is perfection - liquid football soul, no filler
real revelation playing this today, just starting to read up on it, wiki summary gives an idea how good it is

"It is widely regarded as Green's masterpiece, and has been called one of the best soul albums ever made.[9] In 2003 the TV network VH1 named it the 70th greatest album in any genre. Call Me was a Top 10 Billboard Pop Album, and the third #1 Soul Album. In 2003, the album was ranked number 289 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time, and 290 in a 2012 revised list.[10]"

really recommend giving it a try
its quite a subtle record, runs on mood rather than any big stand out showy tracks, all the better for that tbh
youtube playlist

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom