Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban v's the Commentariat

as fucking if.

Yellow+card

Sorry to be unfashionably on topic, but can anyone present a brief précis of the twitterstorms involving Graham Linehan, Caitlin Moran and something called a twittersilence?
I haven't been able to keep up and I'm not sure what they are arguing about, except Linehan seems to be defending Moran cos she is gettin abuse for saying something daft. Not sure what though, or what a twitter silence is but it's something to do with all those bomb threats that some women teeters have been getting for daring to be feminists. Or maybe it isn't and I'm conflating two separate issues. It's hard to follow twitterstorms debates retrospectively

Sorry to be unfashionably on topic, but can anyone present a brief précis of the twitterstorms involving Graham Linehan, Caitlin Moran and something called a twittersilence?
I haven't been able to keep up and I'm not sure what they are arguing about, except Linehan seems to be defending Moran cos she is gettin abuse for saying something daft. Not sure what though, or what a twitter silence is but it's something to do with all those bomb threats that some women teeters have been getting for daring to be feminists. Or maybe it isn't and I'm conflating two separate issues. It's hard to follow twitterstorms debates retrospectively
I can only being a vague glimmer of light to the issue I am afraid.

The Twitersilence was in response to all the various threats being thrown at women for having the temerity to speak up. Some people decided a really good way to protest against this would be to shut up and boycott Twiter for 24 hours. One of those people was Moran

A few years ago Moran made jokes about 'retards' and AIDS and a few days ago she had a go at someone who had a go at her husband for liking some daft punk thing and threatened them, something to do with their genitals, pissing through a straw or something and Linehan joined in or something and Billy Bragg is getting a lot of flack as well. Someone else said something, everyone got upset and said they'd stop saying things on one day to show how angry they were but they didn't. Or something.

Back
Top Bottom