Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

understanding China better

exosculate said:
Your human remains background isn't, and neither is your deceptive persona.

And the idea of this thread is to build up a picture of china that may or may not back up that provided by western media.

You seem to have added not an iota to it.

Bear said:
My opinion is ifJessieDog did what he/she says he/she does in any place in China where it actually matters a fuck and doesn't come from a country who's embassy (or country's press) is going to kick up a bit of a fuss if they nick him or her they'd be seriously fucked by now.

Yeah well that's all you've come here with is just your opinions, which always sound a bit like a loudspeaker blaring out party political propaganda.

I set up this thread to build up a picture of china based on urbanites' experiences and stories and snippets of information about the country. All you've done is come in with loud accusations about the evilness of those running the country, all based on someone you sort of knew who had once gone the country.

Unless you've got something constructive (instead of destructive crap) to add to this thread within the frames of reference maybe you could just butt out no?

exosculate said:

Errrr.

Ryazan asked me my work.

I mention that I'm involved in human resources.

YOU, comment that: "That explains alot."

I ask what it explains.

You write that "[my] human remains background isn't."

And go on to mention my "deceptive persona.".

Are you sure you're quite feeling OK exosculate?

:confused:

Woof

exosculate said:
Yeah and that makes them all Richard Branson. You are talking ridiculous twaddle.

What Jessie says is true. And as someone who has a degree in Chinese and has lived in China for four years I can confirm that Jessie is not only someone whose opinions about China I respect but also someone whose knowledge about modern Chinese politics and economics surpasses that of anyone I know.

Saying someone is 'entrepeneurial' [sp?] is not equal to saying they are Richard Branson. For many Chinese, rural and urban, going into business for oneself is a practical necessity. State sector employment has been cut dramatically and for many of my friends in Beijing, working for themselves is the only option (other than being very very hungry). I personally think this tells us more about human nature generally than any 'Chinese' entrepeneurial spirit but that doesn't change what is actually happening in China.

Anyway, listen to the dog, s/he may have gender identity issues but that has fuck all to do with this thread.

maomao said:
Anyway, listen to the dog, s/he may have gender identity issues but that has fuck all to do with this thread.

Nor anything else at all really. Not that i know what anyone is rabbitting on about, nor do i care. Nor does it matter what i care...

maomao, go on, give a few stories to show bear a china he won't/can't as yet see for himself...

fela fan said:
Unless you've got something constructive (instead of destructive crap) to add to this thread within the frames of reference maybe you could just butt out no?

Maybe i was being a bit rude there. I just wanted this thread to become a series of insights into what actually it's like being chinese living in china. Not what the politicians are up to. We all know they're not very nice, but nor are many others.

And this thread would then become a confirmation of what the western media give us all. Or not.

What you want to talk about - why not start a thread for it?

This one is about something else.

maomao said:
What Jessie says is true. And as someone who has a degree in Chinese and has lived in China for four years I can confirm that Jessie is not only someone whose opinions about China I respect but also someone whose knowledge about modern Chinese politics and economics surpasses that of anyone I know.

Saying someone is 'entrepeneurial' [sp?] is not equal to saying they are Richard Branson. For many Chinese, rural and urban, going into business for oneself is a practical necessity. State sector employment has been cut dramatically and for many of my friends in Beijing, working for themselves is the only option (other than being very very hungry). I personally think this tells us more about human nature generally than any 'Chinese' entrepeneurial spirit but that doesn't change what is actually happening in China.

I don't give a monkeys what you think mate, I'll stick to my own opinions on the Human Resources transgenderist and his/her inappropriate use of language.

Jessiedog said:
Errrr.

Ryazan asked me my work.

I mention that I'm involved in human resources.

YOU, comment that: "That explains alot."

I ask what it explains.

You write that "[my] human remains background isn't."

And go on to mention my "deceptive persona.".

Are you sure you're quite feeling OK exosculate?

Woof

I equate human resource workers with sewage pipes.

fela fan said:
And the idea of this thread is to build up a picture of china that may or may not back up that provided by western media.

You seem to have added not an iota to it.

You seem to add nothing to anything. And you don't control a thread just because you start it.

fela fan said:
Wait a minute here. Anyone who refers to a dictionary definition and provides it in a debate is rather narrow-minded. As if such a thing can prove anything. Every heard of connotations? Metaphors? Degrees of meaning? Contextualised meaning?

You're the one talking twaddle mate. Once you go hiding behind a dictionary then you've announced that your mind is fixed in terms of any understanding it may achieve.

I can easily accept that an entrepreneur is a person who works for themselves rather than a boss. And that, i guess, is what jessie means by it.

I think entrepreneur means something very different, and its a word used to say something that isn't so. Its like calling the diggers entrepreneurs - completely meaningless.

You strike me as a twaddle talker too.

Still I've been told the happy slappy club have spoken.

exosculate said:

wtf does that mean? I can't recall Jessiedog ever being "deceptive".

Can't we be nice? This is a v. interesting thread. I haven't posted because I don't know as much about China as you lot.

Loki said:
wtf does that mean? I can't recall Jessiedog ever being "deceptive".

Can't we be nice? This is a v. interesting thread. I haven't posted because I don't know as much about China as you lot.

Sorry - I have a major problem with someone referring to the entire nation of China as a group of entrepreneurs. It is so ridiculous I can hardly believe my disbelief.

And I don't like cowardly people ganging up either.

exosculate said:
Sorry - I have a major problem with someone referring to the entire nation of China as a group of entrepreneurs. It is so ridiculous I can hardly believe my disbelief.

And I don't like cowardly people ganging up either.
I see no issue with what Jessiedog said - just because you equate entrepreneurs with Branson, does that somehow make the term invalid for any other use?

JD said: "everyone is buying, selling, trading or building something, many have more than one job and a wee business on the side too". Is that not inherently enterprising? What phrase do you prefer, innovators?

What's more I've always enjoyed reading their contributions about China and Hong Kong, because even if it's one persons perspective, it's something I have no idea about, and I appreciate them sharing what's happening and how they see it.

You on the other hand have gone sprinting off-topic over a trivial non-issue, with unpleasant remarks about their job and gender - whilst JD to their credit has remained polite throughout. Perhaps you could read it again and reconsider without making a further mess of the topic. I have no intention of offending or causing further arguments but I think what you've said has been neither appropriate nor valid.

mauvais mangue said:
I see no issue with what Jessiedog said - just because you equate entrepreneurs with Branson, does that somehow make the term invalid for any other use?

JD said: "everyone is buying, selling, trading or building something, many have more than one job and a wee business on the side too". Is that not inherently enterprising? What phrase do you prefer, innovators?

What's more I've always enjoyed reading their contributions about China and Hong Kong, because even if it's one persons perspective, it's something I have no idea about, and I appreciate them sharing what's happening and how they see it.

You on the other hand have gone sprinting off-topic over a trivial non-issue, with unpleasant remarks about their job and gender - whilst JD to their credit has remained polite throughout. Perhaps you could read it again and reconsider without making a further mess of the topic. I have no intention of offending or causing further arguments but I think what you've said has been neither appropriate nor valid.

I could not care less, I express what i think. And no amount of bullying will change that from the likes of you with your supposed confidence in numbers approach.

exosculate said:
I could not care less, I express what i think. And no amount of bullying will change that from the likes of you with your supposed confidence in numbers approach.
Oh aye - I'm reknown and passionately hated across U75 for my bullying hard-man approach, and universal collaboration with the long-established cabal of members we see here now :rolleyes:

mauvais mangue said:
Oh aye - I'm reknown and passionately hated across U75 for my bullying hard-man approach, and universal collaboration with the long-established cabal of members we see here now :rolleyes:

You're certainly a bandwagonist.

exosculate said:
I equate human resource workers with sewage pipes.

If you could explain in what way I, personally, must have transgressed in my work, to render me comparable a sewage pipe, I would be obliged. I'm rather perplexed.

I think you may have allowed something to rather colour your perspective of me.

And, of course, I appreciate that not every single last human being on the mainland is an entrepreneur, per se, in the classic sense. I was rather hoping to convey the sense of urgency; the activity; the drive; the focus; the ingenuity; the adaptability; the tenacity; the energy that seems to pervade throughout all elements of society.

This is a country - a people - on the move.

Nobody else seems to have a problem with that.

Do you?

:)

Woof

mauvais mangue said:

:D

Woof

exosculate said:

Well, let it be eh mate

exosculate said:
You seem to add nothing to anything. And you don't control a thread just because you start it.

No. It's open for the thread starter to try and keep it on course, should they wish to try to do so.

You've been nothing but negative on this thread. Does the forum need your posts? Or can you be constructive?

I think entrepreneur is a good word. From what I hear from friends of mine who do business in China and who have travelled in the place, it sounds like a scaled up and super-accelerated version of England during our own industrial revolution. Traditional occupations and ways of living are collapsing but there's enormous opportunity out there for the many able to exploit it.

slaar said:
I think entrepreneur is a good word. From what I hear from friends of mine who do business in China and who have travelled in the place, it sounds like a scaled up and super-accelerated version of England during our own industrial revolution. Traditional occupations and ways of living are collapsing but there's enormous opportunity out there for the many able to exploit it.

It may be a good word for a sector of people in the industrialised zones. Its an appalling word to describe the vast majority of Chinese people.

fela fan said:
No. It's open for the thread starter to try and keep it on course, should they wish to try to do so.

You've been nothing but negative on this thread. Does the forum need your posts? Or can you be constructive?

Whatever mate - I am being constructive against bullshit language as I see it. And I will say when I think things are phrased in a bullshit way, regardless of any mob mentality attempting to stifle others viewpoints - as exhibited by people like you.

exosculate said:
More eruditeness from our resident management guru.

If you could explain in what way I, personally, must have transgressed in my work, to render me comparable a sewage pipe, I would be obliged. I'm rather perplexed.

I think you may have allowed something to rather colour your perspective of me.

And, of course, I appreciate that not every single last human being on the mainland is an entrepreneur, per se, in the classic sense. I was rather hoping to convey the sense of urgency; the activity; the drive; the focus; the ingenuity; the adaptability; the tenacity; the energy that seems to pervade throughout all elements of society.

Do you?

Woof

For an insight:

http://www.einnews.com/china/

http://www.scmp.com/

The guys in the local Chinese take aways and resturants are usually willing to chat as long as you don't appear intrusive into their personal lives, but politics and their point of view. etc Surprisng the depth of knowledge of some, and the level of education, More pleased if you don't just order a curry LOL

The exhibition on the embankment ( London) about the last fifty years in China is an eye opener, the politics, the red army, and the Japanese invasion and slaughter of the chinese. Chairman Mao, the Little red book and the most influential Chou En-lai, Lin Piao and Liu Shao-chi, of the three, Chou En-lai was the most influential and maintained that influence behind the scenes even after Mao death.

I don't think we are aware of the history of the particpation pf the American and Chiang Kai-Shek within the internal wars to gain power. The Americans saw Mao as the dreaded Communist and Chiang as the pro US power but the news within western society was anti communist and failed to give a correct perspective to the overall situation in China.

Only now, and subsequent to the Tian-an-men square ' revolution' are we begining to see China emerge into the commercial world and become a participating member.

Jessiedog said:

Do you?

Woof

Good to hear it. I do have a problem with the use of certain words which are politically loaded to describe the largest population on the planet as one homogenous group. Given the human resource fraternities absurd use of many words and phrases - need I even state specifics on that - read sacking for downsizing etc etc etc - someone of that ilk I am the more suspicious of.

The huge generalisation with that statement is its own downfall, any society throughout the world will have people able to make use of opportunites, people wishing but for some reason unable, people not caring, people without the inlellect to succeed, the whole human race is made up of the complete range of atttitude and ambitions. China is no different, The rural areas have been unaffected by the western influence in Beijing. The size and huge numbers of people, dialects, etc will take a number of years to completely motivate and energise the population.

exosculate said:
They are doing what they can within the economic framework available to improve their lives.

I thought I'd made it clear that this is the point I'm making!

FFS!

:(

And maomao and rock bottom and Renagade Dog, who currently live or have recently lived in China seem to have no problem with my interpretation.

And neither does anyone else on this thread.

In fact, it seems it's only you with a bee in yur bunnet.

Chill friend.

:cool:

Woof

Back
Top Bottom