Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

China Eastern 737 (flight MU5735) crashes in Guangxi, 21/03/2022

Doesn't have to be a known issue could be down to poor/faulty maintenance. :(

TBF I doubt that, poor maintenance is usually a workplace culture thing and you see it reflected in an increased accident rate (as all planes are not being maintained well, not just one). A sudden, unexpected issue and a much more likely I think.

They do think it's the CVR and it's been sent up to Beijing for decoding. Some human remains now found too.
They've had to do drainage work at the site because of the heavy rain.
Some passenger stories emerging, fiancee off to see fiance, mum on her way abroad to see daughter for first time in years etc. :(

TBF I doubt that, poor maintenance is usually a workplace culture thing and you see it reflected in an increased accident rate (as all planes are not being maintained well, not just one). A sudden, unexpected issue and a much more likely I think.
Doesn't need to be general workplace culture. I know of a case where an engineer was doing maintenance on an aircraft at E MIDs. Just needed the oil refilling and job done but he got called away to an urgent job. Someone else assumed it was all finished and closed the cowling up. Only when pilot started it up was it noticed there was zero oil pressure but was too late by then, engine needed replacing.

A single piece of debris alleged to be from the plane has been found 10 km away from the crash site

On another website, which I cannot find again somehow, it was claimed the plane might have approached the speed of sound during parts of its dive, and that it was feasible some parts of the wings or fuselage might have been sheared off, as such aircraft are not designed to reach such speeds.

Doesn't have to be a known issue could be down to poor/faulty maintenance. :(

They apparently made some big steps forward in later years but I remember China Eastern being notoriously shit in the 1990s, with way more delays due to technical issues than any other Chinese airline flying out of Hong Kong.

Announcement today that the 737-800 is going back into service; no news of the results of the investigation yet but speculation is this means it was a deliberate act by the pilot rather than a mechanical failure, e.g. this comment:
黑瞎子破译了,也没见飞行员追悼表彰什么的,倒是总局发了一个飞行员心里关爱的文

"They've decoded the black boxes, and we've not seen any obituary articles praising/mourning the pilot but the civil aviation authority did put out something about taking more care of pilot's mental well-being."

Last edited:
Preliminary report indicates it was a deliberate act by someone in the cockpit :(

I know this is a criticism that has been made by the Chinese press today, but it really is shameful that someone leaked that and more so that the WSJ published it (which led to everyone else piling in).

The families deserve a comprehensive, fair and complete report into how their relatives died, not something snuck out for reasons none of us will know (which could include financial inducement). Aviation safety generally relies on complete cooperation between different countries too, which can only be put at risk by leaking things that could be seen as removing any blame from one side.

Back
Top Bottom