Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

In principle - would you accept work in China?

There are about 58,000 urban members. Let's say for the sake of argument 20,000 of them are urban posters. I'd say a great proportion of 20,000 is 10,000+/20,000, not 11/20,000. You puffed up windbag
So you agree that at least 11 urban75 posters are unable to read and respond to a specific question. Your judgement seems even harsher than mine.

So you agree that at least 11 urban75 posters are unable to read and respond to a specific question. Your judgement seems even harsher than mine.
No, I haven't said that you mendacious cow turd. I've taken issue with your claim that 11 posters can be considered a great proportion

Perhaps because it's a view from the inside, I also distinguish between types of clients - I do independent film scripts, novels and art stuff. Some of that adds to the lustre of the regime but indirectly at best and none of it is at the behest of the opinion managers. Though I have in the past worked with state poverty alleviation and environmental agencies.
And to start the whataboutery, India strikes me as objectively worse at the moment. There was that cunt parading his murdered daughter on a motorbike only this week.

I'm not interested in answers about the practicality or desirability of working overseas - that's not what this thread is about.

The question is purely about whether there would be an ethical/moral aspect to your decision-making, assuming it's something you'd not rule out for other reasons.

Not just from 'working in China', no. It would depend on the job itself entirely, a big difference between working for the Chinese State in say a prison, and working for a multinational company that had an office in China.

Given I already do all of those things at the moment, there's not a lot of difference whether I do that here or in China, but it does raise moral issues that I don't know the answer to. It's an easy get-out to say that the provision of education should overcome any moral qualms, but we are on occasion asked to make sure our resources comply with Chinese censorship laws, which makes it even more murky.
As well as the moral question there's the question of one's safety. Putting aside everything else I'd be wary, there are a few (relatively rare admittedly) cases of people getting into serious bother. Sure UCU had a case on this some time back (forgotten details).

It all depends ..

I wouldn't accept work as a Chinese refuse worker

The work would need to be spectacularly well paid

There aren't many jobs I would turn down for ethical or political reasons tbh.

No, I haven't said that you mendacious cow turd. I've taken issue with your claim that 11 posters can be considered a great proportion
I did not say anything about 11 posters being a great proportion. You came up with the number and we can only suppose that you did this by counting posters that you felt satisfied the criteria. I think you should apologise to those 11 posters.

Not just from 'working in China', no. It would depend on the job itself entirely, a big difference between working for the Chinese State in say a prison, and working for a multinational company that had an office in China.
How about the example strung out gave, of a university lecturer, tasked to teach a curriculum modified to comply with state censorship rules etc?

I did not say anything about 11 posters being a great proportion. You came up with the number and we can only suppose that you did this by counting posters that you felt satisfied the criteria. I think you should apologise to those 11 posters.
In the meantime, you can apologise to the large proportion of urban posters you mentioned earlier.

Also weirdly some of the major news portals aren't blocked and was eg able to read a detailed AP report on the camps in Xinjiang on the open local web.

How about the example strung out gave, of a university lecturer, tasked to teach a curriculum modified to comply with state censorship rules etc?

Yeah I dunno. I largely think all the personal decisions about about consumerism and work etc. is just pointless individualistic bollocks that in part has taken the place of politics. So I hate it and mostly think all these decisions are bullshit to make people feel better about themselves and morally sound. I think there's loads of good pragmatic reasons not to take some jobs though; like I wouldn't work in a slaughterhouse, but I don't think it's an important political decision, it'd just be grim.

I would not accept work in/for China, I'm struggling to think of anyone I'd work for in the middle east, and I wouldn't work in/for India.

Russia, obvs...

I'm not that sure about working for a US company - I'm very unlikely to actually work there.

Reactions: LDC
Just waiting for a 'I'd rather work in a school in the US that teaches creationism in a state that bans abortions' type poster to turn up out of the blue.

Back
Top Bottom