Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

In principle - would you accept work in China?

I would not accept work in/for China, I'm struggling to think of anyone I'd work for in the middle east, and I wouldn't work in/for India.

Russia, obvs...

I'm not that sure about working for a US company - I'm very unlikely to actually work there.

In 2014 I did a medical job recruited through a local Kurdish company in Northern Iraq I knew, when I got there turns out it was a Gazprom site populated by Americans...

The 'well stocked clinic' I arrived to. The gym was invisible, as was the internet access... I won't even mention the 'security' when IS turned up.

20140822_090936.jpg

I would not accept work in/for China, I'm struggling to think of anyone I'd work for in the middle east, and I wouldn't work in/for India.

Russia, obvs...

I'm not that sure about working for a US company - I'm very unlikely to actually work there.
I worked for a major US company for 25 years, I worked on projects for them in Argentina, Chile, Mexico, Israel, Romania, Germany, Philippines and India (those are the ones I can remember but don't think China was one). Did it all without budging from my desk in Nottingham.
They did send me to exciting places like Uxbridge, Welwyn Garden City, Gloucester, Manchester, Milton Keynes (fucking loads of times) and Tyneside though. The first time they sent me to Washington Mrs Q got wildly excited and wanted to come with until she realised which particular Washingon it was.

Yeah I dunno. I largely think all the personal decisions about about consumerism and work etc. is just pointless individualistic bollocks that in part has taken the place of politics. So I hate it and mostly think all these decisions are bullshit to make people feel better about themselves and morally sound. I think there's loads of good pragmatic reasons not to take some jobs though; like I wouldn't work in a slaughterhouse, but I don't think it's an important political decision, it'd just be grim.
I guess the thing with the university lecturer example is, that maybe, I'd expect UK university lecturers en masse to tend to see education in a certain way and believe there are certain basic rights and wrongs about how it should be delivered, and that might include ideas about censorship and so on. So, it seems conceivable that in some form, UK university lecturers could make a joint decision that they were only going to teach in China if they did not have to modify course content. Or, maybe I'd expect to see some attempts to create some kind of consensus around this, at least say within a union or similar. But, I'm not really aware of anything like that happening, which I find slightly surprising, except that I can see how it could come about that the nature of the chinese state has changed somewhat gradually and created a situation where too many people are already invested in the system.

In 2014 I did a medical job recruited through a local Kurdish company in Northern Iraq I knew, when I got there turns out it was a Gazprom site populated by Americans...

The 'well stocked clinic' I arrived to. The gym was invisible, as was the internet access... I won't even mention the 'security' when IS turned up.

View attachment 387322

Oooh what agency you work for

Get them drugs expiry dates checked sorted and out on the shelf 🤣

Reactions: LDC
I did not say anything about 11 posters being a great proportion. You came up with the number and we can only suppose that you did this by counting posters that you felt satisfied the criteria. I think you should apologise to those 11 posters.
Thank you for contributing to the stream of entirely irrelevant answers. It would seem that a large proportion of urban75 posters are unable to read and respond to a specific question. Therefore perhaps there would be an ethical benefit in them co-operating with the Chinese state, as they would likely perform unintentional acts of sabotage that would undermine the system.
when you posted this 11 posters had responded to the thread. so don't play the 'i never said' line because that dog won't fight

I'd work in China, if i was offered a good job out of the blue, if i didn't have responsibilities that keep me in the UK etc. But on an ethical level, so much of my everyday plastic is made there and so much tech comes from there that 'ethically' choosing not to actually go there just seems like tilting at a windmill. I agreewith LDC that individualising something like this is somewhat beside the point; I wish my government would act ethically towards China. I personally have one lifetime in which to experience this world, and China is not it's current government, so yes if I was offered an interesting job for a decent wage, ethics around China would not stop me taking it.

Having said that, I once lived and worked for 2 years in Tel Aviv so it'd be bit hypocritical after that to say I'm too ethical for China.

I'd work in China, if i was offered a good job out of the blue, if i didn't have responsibilities that keep me in the UK etc. But on an ethical level, so much of my everyday plastic is made there and so much tech comes from there that 'ethically' choosing not to actually go there just seems like tilting at a windmill. I agreewith LDC that individualising something like this is somewhat beside the point; I wish my government would act ethically towards China. I personally have one lifetime in which to experience this world, and China is not it's current government, so yes if I was offered an interesting job for a decent wage, ethics around China would not stop me taking it.

Having said that, I once lived and worked for 2 years in Tel Aviv so it'd be bit hypocritical after that to say I'm too ethical for China.
Fair play.

A mate used to work there but he was fairly consistent in his condemnation of the powers that be (and this was twenty years ago)

He also said he'd never work in Israel and ended up in Tel Aviv...

when you posted this 11 posters had responded to the thread. so don't play the 'i never said' line because that dog won't fight
And I did not state that all 11 responses up to that point were incompetent. It was you who decided to imply that, and that's why you need to make some apologies. Because some of the responses at that point were quite acceptable.

I'm not interested in answers about the practicality or desirability of working overseas - that's not what this thread is about.

The question is purely about whether there would be an ethical/moral aspect to your decision-making, assuming it's something you'd not rule out for other reasons.
No poll?!

I have worked in China and at the moment I would not agree to work there. When I married my Chinese wife we had talked about moving to China but over the last decade and particularly since covid it's become a lot less likely just due to the feeling that it's heading in a very scary direction. But not so much a question of not wanting to take their money as not wanting to live there.

And I did not state that all 11 responses up to that point were incompetent. It was you who decided to imply that, and that's why you need to make some apologies. Because some of the responses at that point were quite acceptable.
i didn't imply that in the slightest. you by contrast definitely and explicitly dismissed contemptuously pretty much everyone on the site. how's about you get down on your knees and pray for forgiveness?

I wouldn't necessarily have any 'ethical or moral 'issues that would prevent me from working in China. Tbh their economy looks like it could do with a boost so come on Li Qiang , just dial.

After the crushing of Hong Kong's freedoms I wouldn't even change planes in mainland China, let alone work there
Would you accept work / change planes in the UK?

More important what the job is and who you're making money for rather than which piece of shit state it is in IMO

I've not worked in China but have worked with Chinese. In my experience they're really nice people and a pleasure to work with. In groups they're very entitled and very difficult.

I'm rather mixed about working there. Ultimately it would depend on the job offer. But I'd probably go. To see it from the inside as it were would be at least a very interesting experience.

Back
Top Bottom