Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

understanding China better

fela fan said:
rock, good to hear that asia is still so good at providing hedonistic journeys for those so inclined. Thailand unfortunately has developed rather too much in the direction of the west, and so fun has been accordingly taxed higher and higher.

It's still there for sure, but much more underground. However, other countries still oblige.

I came to thailand coz at the time china was still virtually impossible to travel in for a westerner, and it was china that always fascinated me.

Unbelievably, having sat virtually on its border for 14 years, i've still not made it over there yet. Coming soon tho, i can feel it!

You should definitely come, mate. And if you fancy a trip to central China, drop me a line - not that Wuhan's the most enticing of destinations, but if you're passing through we will have to hook up for a few jars.

I do think Thailand feels culturally stronger than China though. I found it a real disappointment when I came here how few old buildings there were, the bland architectural style, and stuff.

You should head for Dali in Yunnan, from what youv'e said about what kind of places you like, I reckon you'd totally love it. You can sit and smoke dope in the cafes there.

Rock Bottom said:
Fela, I imagine China would be much of a disappointment for most people - unless you travel to the South West - Guanxi and Yunnan (I have not been, but I have heard from reputation), or the North and North West (Xinjiang and Inner Mongolia). Most places are either built-up and polluted, or otherwise, are extremely primitive.

I have been to Thailand - only for a couple of weeks - and it seems to be the shit. Nice food, friendly people, sun all year, beaches etc.....China doesn't really make the mark as far as I'm concerned.

I'm sort of stuck here for various reasons. However, China does grow on you over time, once you get used to the way employers deal with you, and once you make the right contacts. I pretty much know Zhuhai inside-out now, and don't imagine facing a situation that I might find difficult. Like Thailand, the people are wonderful, but unlike Thailand, have a curiousity about me which is usually (but not always) healthy.

So come, and make your own impressions. Look beneath the surface, and you may find the positives amongst the surface negatives.

I agree with the above. The pollution and stuff can be terrible. And the lack of strong culture, especially for a place that likes to boast about its 5000 years of history.

I do crave somewhere where on weekends I can go and dance on the beach.

I would probably be in Thailand now too if I hadn't met Mrs RD

RenegadeDog said:
Drugs are an essential aspect of world politics! :D
What's the holiday like at your school? One good thing where I am is that, because I've renewed my contract, I've had 3 months' paid holiday this year, plus may and october.

I've been back at school for just over a week now. Lessons going OK.

One of the local TV stations came in to record my class the other day. The programme will be shown on Wuhan TV this Sunday

HappY Teachers Day!!

Hi RD!

Unless you work at a state or public school, holidays will be pretty standard. Chinese New Year, National festival, Labour week, etc.

You will also most likely have to take a pay cut. My salary, after a year in Zhuhai is 6700, from which I must pay my rent. In a school, with the aforementioned holidays, it will probably be less.

But other than that, Zhuhai is a pretty reasonable place to live!

Rock Bottom said:
Hi RD!

Unless you work at a state or public school, holidays will be pretty standard. Chinese New Year, National festival, Labour week, etc.

You will also most likely have to take a pay cut. My salary, after a year in Zhuhai is 6700, from which I must pay my rent. In a school, with the aforementioned holidays, it will probably be less.

But other than that, Zhuhai is a pretty reasonable place to live!

I'm getting about 8200 now for 23 lessons a week, which isn't bad, although my schedule is very busy.

But it's about balancing quality of life with money...

I do hope fela will forgive this C&P from today's SCMP.

I thought it pertinent to the thread and trust that some additional commentary from myself may help salve his wrath.

The article updates us on an ongoing dispute in a village of 2,000 souls, Taishi, close to Panyu in Guangdong Province (I have family in Panyu).

Pissed off about the corruption of their village chief - one Mr Chen - the villagers took over his office more than a month ago and some have holed up there, fighting off attempts by police and officials to resume control.

They were guarding the village accounts which, they claim, prove Mr Chen's malfeasance and have been waiting (for a month!) for the long promised appearance of a provincial-level auditor to examine the accounts. Nobody has yet arrived.

Unfortunately, yesterday.........

......Well, read the article......

The reason I thought this worth posting is that it seems to be (almost) a "real" piece of journalism. A story cobbled together by local reporters, on the spot, as it happened, not an "artilce" by AP, Reuters, or suchlike. It has a very "real" feel to it.

These kind of very "local" stories rarely get out of China and are only VERY rarely published within the country. We've been fortunate that news of this dispute has been leaking out sporadically as it has dragged on for so long. I honestly doubt we'll be hearing that much more from Taishi after this.

Some of the quotes by villagers/officials are very telling. One thing that really struck me, was just how blasé the Panyu publicity official was in explaining yesyerday's situation.

Tuesday, September 13, 2005. South China Morning Post.

Riot police seize files being guarded by protesting villagers

LEU SIEW YING in Guangzhou

More than 1,000 riot police stormed the local government office in Taishi village yesterday and arrested dozens of mostly elderly women holding fort inside who were seeking to prevent the theft of accounting records and other files that may prove their village chief was corrupt.
The latest violent crackdown on protesters came a day after the township government that oversees Taishi announced it would start dismissal proceedings against village chief Chen Jinsheng . "They came in 60 trucks and turned water jets on villagers guarding the building. Three or four people were hurt. Two of them were seriously hurt and had to be admitted to hospital. One fainted and the other had a dislocated arm," said one villager.

"I was hit here," she said, pointing to a cut on her right cheek, "and I blacked out for half an hour."

The villagers arrested included several men and they filled a bus that could seat more than 30 people, another villager said.

By the time reporters arrived on the scene at about 10am, there were still at least 300 police and paramilitary police and urban management officials blocking access to the village accounts office while a fire engine was parked at the gate.

Village cadres had also taken away account books and other records that villagers had guarded round the clock for more than a month while waiting for the provincial government to send auditors so that they could prove claims that Mr Chen had embezzled collective funds.

"Life is still so hard and some of us have to scavenge for a living even though 70 per cent of our land has been requisitioned," the villager said. "We only want what is due to us. We don't understand why they have to mobilise so many riot police and use such force."

She vowed that the cadres would not get away with their misdeeds. "We will go to Beijing. We will get there even if we have to walk."

Sun Yat-sen University professor Ai Xiaoming , who was recording the confrontation, said that she could not understand why so much force was used on villagers who were exercising their legitimate rights.

"Prime Minister Wen Jiabao was in Zhuhai visiting our branch campus yesterday. I can't understand why they still use force at a time like this," she said.

A Panyu district publicity official said he was not at the village but was not surprised at the size of the police force and the use of water jets.

"More than 400 people signed the petition to dismiss Mr Chen. Usually in cases like this, the police force has to be two to three times the number of people so as to maintain order," he said.

A village of slightly more than 2,000 residents, Taishi set up a co-operative to manage revenue from land sales and rental to factories and banana and sugar cane plantations. The co-operative was managed by Mr Chen, who has been a director of the village committee since 1998.

He told Southern Metropolis News that 90 per cent of the villagers' complaints were a pack of lies.

:(

Woof

And I think that in so many ways, this little local story, repeated in towns and villages throughout China, hundreds of thousands of times a year, every year, reveals far more than just a human interest story in Guangdong.

It reveals the truly ingrained, endemic, nature of the corruption that riddles China from the highest levels of the politburo to the lowest levels of family life. It demonstrates the immensity of the challenge of transforming an inherently rotten "communist" state - one of the worst regimes in history - into anything even approaching "modernity".

It emphasises the impotence of any claim to power the national government purports to wield outside of Beijing; local cadres are far too happy to exploit the disintigrating, but still entrenched, bureaucratic structures betrothed by Mao - a hangover from the cultural revolution when, for over a decade, the whole country was convulsed in a violent frenzy of self abuse and destruction.

It lays bare the monstrosity that was communist China and, equally, the revolting consequences of unfettered individualism.

It sheds light upon the Chinese peoples' long thwarted but indomitable desire for security, prosperity and a stable future.

It provides insight into the underlying, twisted, history that drives today's unholy scrabble for individual monetary gain - from peasant to president - throughout modern China and yet, also, highlights the long suppressed passion, entrepreneurial spirit and family fidelity of an ancient people.

It speaks to the near impossibility of reconciling the seemingly intractable contradictions that riddle society.

It underlines the complexities and fragilities of a nation held together by the barest of bonds......

And, still, the mere fact that we are reading this news, lends great hope to the dream that this great country will, once again, and against all odds, find the strength to sustain the momentum of the change which has, is and will continue to, transform the lives of it people.

</ soppy, drivelling, soliloquy >

:)

Woof

RenegadeDog said:
You should definitely come, mate. And if you fancy a trip to central China, drop me a line - not that Wuhan's the most enticing of destinations, but if you're passing through we will have to hook up for a few jars.

I do think Thailand feels culturally stronger than China though. I found it a real disappointment when I came here how few old buildings there were, the bland architectural style, and stuff.

You should head for Dali in Yunnan, from what youv'e said about what kind of places you like, I reckon you'd totally love it. You can sit and smoke dope in the cafes there.

The good thing is that i can fly from chiang mai to kunming direct, little more than one hour. This is the reason why links are blossoming between the two towns. You've mentioned dali, and i also know of li jiang, never mind kunming itself. Since it's so close and easy to get there nowadays from where i'm living, it's not going to be long before i get there. It may even be paid my my uni...

How long i come for would depend factors at the time, but i'd probably just do the one province the first time. Unfortunately the ease with which i can just get up and go has now finished (but i had a very good run!). I think the beginning of the end of that was when i met chiang mai. It grabbed me as a place eminently worth spending the rest of my days in. Despite it's dreadful pay.

But if i get around of course we'll have those beers.

Interesting story that one jessie. Just the kind of thing i hoped might make it onto the thread. Anything that gives a real flavour of a country, and often that won't be from the agencies as you say.

At the end of the day, one thing that fascinates me about china is that they had those ten years of cultural revolution only about one generation ago (how long is a generation?!). The memories must be very strong in many people. If a teenager at the time, then about 50 now. To me that revolution, from what i've read of it, seems one of the most dehumanising things ever to happen in modern history.

There are many chinese descent thais, even amongst the generation that moved here. It always amazes me how their whole efforts in life are simply to make money from their own little business, often a shophouse. They take about two days off a year for chinese new year, and that's it!!!

There's a book called Letters from Thailand, about a chinese boy who came to live in thailand and who writes letters to his mum back in china, over a few decades. We see this boy develop into an old man, and we see his battle between his chinese upbringing and cultural values, and the thai laid back, lazy, take-it-easy lifestyle. Fascinating stuff too.

Rock Bottom said:
So come, and make your own impressions. Look beneath the surface, and you may find the positives amongst the surface negatives.

Mate, i hold china in very positive light. I only came to thailand as a second choice coz at the time it was still very difficult for westerners to get into china, never mind work there. But i think i got lucky... ;)

I don't really want to look below the surface, i do enough of that in thailand these days. I want a brand new experience, like when i got here. Wild-eyed excitement and a burning desire to get up each morning and just fucking enjoy life. I still have a great time here, but i can remember the days of one room apartment in bangkok, one bill a month, one atm card, one key, and total freedom with no responsibilities except to keep my students happy, in amongst all my trips to the beaches...

Now so much of what excited me to fuck, i just simply accept and enjoy in a more sedate way. I still have pai though which reminds me of the early years and a freedom that beats all else in life.

oneflewover said:
With all due respect, because i haven't been, these seem very westernised Chinese. Not for a moment can it or should it represent the other 99% of the population

A Balance Sheet of A Rural Family

Name (identity withheld by request of the head of household)
Family members: 4
Farming land: 3.01 mu (The ration of mu and acre is xxx)

Yearly agricultural income: 1851.15 Yuan. ($225.75)

Chinese Peasants

Somehow i don't see these popping to a club a slipping a couple of E's

I sort off knew someone who worked in China for a while.

Some people do have money in China. Its no longer mainly commie state owned industries, people can get permission to start businesses; the people the government gives permission to, to do this are usually commie party members. So it's like a two tier capitalist society with the high up members of the ruling totaloltarian party owning the means of production, exchange and distribution.

They're not as poor as the value of the Yuan would suggest as it's kept artificually low by the chinese bank to get investment in low labour cost.

Yeah, people do take E's and stuff, they are brutally punished for doing so and heroin addicts are executed; china executes more people than the rest of the entire world.

People are not allowed free speech and the media is control. Yahoo recently helped them jail a journalist for ten years in a hell hole of a jail for something that wouldn't be considered a crime in the USA or another open society.

THe Chinese government don't care about the poor, the disabled or their old and think its ok to kill babies.

They will be WORSE than the USA under bush if they were a superpower.

Its a totalitarian dictatorship and its criminal justice system is very brutal and they don't care about anyone bar the select few.

The chinese government are a bunch of cunts and if I said that in China they'd jail me. Fuck, if I lived in China they'd even jail me for posting it on the internet. Information is so tightly controlled in China that most people don't even know about their government murdering people in tiananmen square.

fela fan said:
There's a third mate. They're a threat to world peace and it's much better to have an american empire than a chinese one, which they are hell-bent on creating.

Exactly, if it was the US Republican Party or the CCP I'd have the Repugs over those totalitarian cunts any day of the week.

EDITED TO ADD -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totalitarianism explains what these fuckers are perfectly.

Bear said:
Exactly, if it was the US Republican Party or the CCP I'd have the Repugs over those totalitarian cunts any day of the week.

Hey you idiot, stop completely changing what i said by taking one sentence out of context.

You've contributed not one iota to this thread based upon its premise. Reread what it's about, or just go away somewhere else.

Jessiedog said:
Nah Bear,

C'mon.

Tell us what you really[/] think.

:p

Woof

I already have, the Chinese government is pretty wicked, far worse than the US Republican party; they are the brutal political descendents of chairman Mao (Mao created one of the worst regimes in the history of the entire world). I know they couldn't really be called Maoists now but they refuse to let the truth about Mao be known, he was one of the worst human leaders that ever lived (in modern times), I'd compare Mao to Saddam.

China is a scary country and I hope the CCP goes to hell in a hand basket, there how's that for you. That's what I really think. Oh yeah, one other thing, I hope the yanks keep selling Taiwan high tech military gear :)

jessie, renegade, anyone...

what's censorship like with emails? One girl has been trying to get hold of me a few times, but she always gets a failure notice come back to her.

A letter got through to me from her and i have now emailed her two times, but also get failure notices. It's feasibly i can't read her handwriting - only on one digit mind - but for the moment i just wonder... i mean i am very clear with giving out my email address.

she has given me a yahoo email address, and she lives and works in kunming.

Bear said:
I already have, the Chinese government is pretty wicked, far worse than the US Republican party; they are the brutal political descendents of chairman Mao (Mao created one of the worst regimes in the history of the entire world). I know they couldn't really be called Maoists now but they refuse to let the truth about Mao be known, he was one of the worst human leaders that ever lived (in modern times), I'd compare Mao to Saddam.

China is a scary country and I hope the CCP goes to hell in a hand basket, there how's that for you. That's what I really think. Oh yeah, one other thing, I hope the yanks keep selling Taiwan high tech military gear :)

The sophistication of that post.

Bear - are you Bruce Gilley?

(The following is the text of an article which originally appeared in the Hong Kong Eastern Express on April 12, 1995. For more information, contact Bruce Gilley at The Eastern Express in Hong Kong, telephone 011-852-27071111, or fax 011-852-27071122.)

No one could accuse The Chinese of being squeamish about the things they eat - monkeys' brains, owls' eyes, bears' paws and deep fried scorpions are all items on The menu. But most dishes revered as national favourites sound as harmless as boiled rice when compared to the latest pint de jour allegedly gaining favour in Shenzhen - human foetus.

Rumours that dead embryos were being used as dietary supplements started to spread early last year with reports that some doctors in Shenzhen hospitals were eating dead foetuses after carrying out abortions. The doctors allegedly defended their actions by saying the embryos were good for their skin and general health.

A trend was set and soon reports circulated that doctors in the city were promoting foetuses as a human tonic. Hospital cleaning women were seen fighting each other to take the treasured human remains home. Last month, reporters from EastWeek - a sister publication of Eastern Express - went to Shenzhen to see if the rumours could be substantiated. On March 7, a reporter entered the state-run Shenzhen Heath Centre for Women and Children feigning illness and asked a female doctor for a foetus. The doctor said the department was out of stock but to come again.

More of the same bollocks can be found on http://www.jesus21.com/poppydixon/sex/bruce_gilley.html

Those Chinese Chinamen - bloody evil aren't they?

Virtual Blue said:
Bear - are you Bruce Gilley?

Those Chinese Chinamen - bloody evil aren't they?

No, Chinese people aren't evil - they're 'kept in the dark' by a brutal totalitarian government that commit the most appalling crimes against the Tibetan people. So no Chinese people aren't evil, their fucken government is - chairman Mao was also an evil dispicable bastard.

EDITED TO ADD -

PS. There is nothing wrong with eating "monkeys' brains, owls' eyes, bears' paws and deep fried scorpions" providing they kill the animals humanely, in my opinion.

Bear,

Can't justify the Chinese government's behaviour and the western media portrayal don't help either - consistently exaggerating facts on an euro-centric tip. You forgot to mention the great level of injustice directed to the Uighur Muslims, how 7 million deserve their independance, like that will ever happen!

I blame Guang Xu/Qing dynasty for not modernising China sooner. The introduction of the Chinese Communist Party was a desperate attempt to radicalise a China that was 120 years behind the West. And fuck didn't it go horribly wrong - millions of untold deaths, famine etc.

Things are blooming now though. It's nothing the world has ever seen before.

I disagree with you on the Taiwan issue. I don't wanna see no war - not when China's economy is booming. Bush doesn't give a fuck about Taiwan or China, he just wants to protect the American markets...

edited: okay - shit government but a whole lot of good shit is happening there, right now like China's form of economic liberalism minus the western democracy (well, you know what I mean) and MucDonalds. Any country with MucDonalds means freedom for fatties right?

Virtual Blue said:
Bear,

Can't justify the Chinese government's behaviour and the western media portrayal don't help either - consistently exaggerating facts on an euro-centric tip. You forgot to mention the great level of injustice directed to the Uighur Muslims, how 7 million deserve their independance, like that will ever happen!

I blame Guang Xu/Qing dynasty for not modernising China sooner. The introduction of the Chinese Communist Party was a desperate attempt to radicalise a China that was 120 years behind the West. And fuck didn't it go horribly wrong - millions of untold deaths, famine etc.

Things are blooming now though. It's nothing the world has ever seen before.

I disagree with you on the Taiwan issue. I don't wanna see no war - not when China's economy is booming. Bush doesn't give a fuck about Taiwan or China, he just wants to protect the American markets...

edited: okay - shit government but a whole lot of good shit is happening there, right now like China's form of economic liberalism minus the western democracy (well, you know what I mean) and MucDonalds. Any country with MucDonalds means freedom for fatties right?

I want to see Taiwan and especially Tibet get the independence their people want. Yes, it's certainly true that China is booming in away that it never has before. But that doesn't make it okay, because their model of communism and capitalism means the the gap between the rich and poor is wider than in the west. Not only that but unlike in the West only certain people get the opportunity to own the means of production. You'll find that most of the factory owners are CCP members. They don't give a shit about the sick, the disabled, or even their elderly. They truely have the worst aspects of both systems. They've got all the capitalist inequality without the opportunity, and they've got all the communist state control and one of the most brutal inhumane criminal justice systems in the entire world. The folks in Shang Hai may well be happy and feeling that their time has truely come but go into the countryside where the oppressed peasents who aren't even free to speak their own minds are still poor as fuck and growing their own food in human shit and I reckon they'll be thinking differently.

The CCP could fix this by introducing liberal democracy but no, they want want complete control and they'll do whatever it takes to keep it. Bottom line is they are brutal, evil, human rights abusing fucks and deserve to be overthrown.

I have no problem with the USA selling places like Taiwan who are trying to become democratic open societies and give their peoples the right to self determination being sold whatever high tech military hardware is nessecary to protect themselves being swallowed up by such a monsterous regime. The people of Tibet truely deserve the help and support of the West.

But what the fuck, it's all okay if they keep the £2.99 shirts rolling out eh?

Bear said:
I want to see Taiwan and especially Tibet get the independence their people want. Yes, it's certainly true that China is booming in away that it never has before. But that doesn't make it okay, because their model of communism and capitalism means the the gap between the rich and poor is wider than in the west. Not only that but unlike in the West only certain people get the opportunity to own the means of production. You'll find that most of the factory owners are CCP members. They don't give a shit about the sick, the disabled, or even their elderly. They truely have the worst aspects of both systems.

... (and the rest of it)

In the spirit of this thread could you tell the forum on what basis you have arrived at so many facts about china? You did mention that you once sort of knew someone who had lived there, but surely for a person with so many facts you must have lived there for quite some time.

I ask coz this thread is supposed to be a collection of urbanites' own experiences of and snippets about the country and its people.

It's difficult to fathom how you can have so many certainties about the country. Please exemplify.

Should start another thread called the misunderstanding or demonisation of China.

Here's a link from a good friend on "The beauty products from the skin of executed Chinese prisoners."

Link

With the ascendence of China, totalitarian capitalism will come to rule the world - ditching the pointless distractions of democracy.... enough of this entrepreneurial-spirited bollocks people keep spouting...

Good for the revolting chinese mentioned earlier though... let's hope they manage to take things beyond just higher wages...

Interesting stuff.

Virtual Blue said:
Should start another thread called the misunderstanding or demonisation of China.

Here's a link from a good friend on "The beauty products from the skin of executed Chinese prisoners."

Link

Unfortunately, it looks more than likely that this story is true.

The one about eating aborted human foetus' certainly is.

Cradle to grave communist cosseting has given way to rampant individualism. Ancient practices and supersticions blend together with grass roots, raging, vicious capitalism. With an average GDP growth of 10% per annum for the last fifteen or twenty years, the rate of change(s) in society is truly astonishing.

It's important to remember that the Chinese have been "kept down" for so long that they are, how to say, very keen indeed to progress as quickly as possible.

In modern China, everyone is an entrepreneur.

(I've only just thought of that, but it really does seem to be true. Everyone is buying, selling, trading or building something, many have more than one job and a wee business on the side too. It's the only way to survive. I would expect that this is particularly true of the south - earliest to open up and implement reforms [@ 1978], manufacturing centre for the world, huge amounts of personal freedom, extremely competetive environment, vigorously entrepreneurial and a looooooong way from Beijing ;) ).

Woof

888 said:
With the ascendence of China, totalitarian capitalism will come to rule the world - ditching the pointless distractions of democracy.... enough of this entrepreneurial-spirited bollocks people keep spouting...

Good for the revolting chinese mentioned earlier though... let's hope they manage to take things beyond just higher wages...

Interesting stuff.

I don't know 888.

I think it is becoming widely accepted that the GCPD model (Great Capitalist Peoples Dictatorship ;) ) is unsustainable, even in the medium terms for several reasons.

Personally, I think the current leadership under Hu and Wen also recognise this and will, slowly, step by step, further liberalise the country. Political liberalisation will, naturally, come later rather than sooner.

But China is very entrepreneurial as I've mentioned.

Woof

Jessiedog said:
Unfortunately, it looks more than likely that this story is true.

The one about eating aborted human foetus' certainly is.

Cradle to grave communist cosseting has given way to rampant individualism. Ancient practices and supersticions blend together with grass roots, raging, vicious capitalism. With an average GDP growth of 10% per annum for the last fifteen or twenty years, the rate of change(s) in society is truly astonishing.

It's important to remember that the Chinese have been "kept down" for so long that they are, how to say, very keen indeed to progress as quickly as possible.

In modern China, everyone is an entrepreneur.

(I've only just thought of that, but it really does seem to be true. Everyone is buying, selling, trading or building something, many have more than one job and a wee business on the side too. It's the only way to survive. I would expect that this is particularly true of the south - earliest to open up and implement reforms [@ 1978], manufacturing centre for the world, huge amounts of personal freedom, extremely competetive environment, vigorously entrepreneurial and a looooooong way from Beijing ;) ).

Woof

Oh yeah they're all entrepreneurs - especially the 1000 million peasants, :rolleyes:

exosculate said:
Oh yeah they're all entrepreneurs - especially the 1000 million peasants, :rolleyes:

Yes indeed!

There are in the region of 600 million "peasants", throughout China, who live in crushing, absolute poverty and survive pretty much through subsistence farming. The disparity in wealth between towns/cities and rural areas is so vast as to be obscene.

It should also be noted though, that a further 400 million more, who used to live this way, have emerged from poverty over the last quarter of a century. An entirely unprecedented achievement in the history of humanity.

And all going well, another 400 million should be lifted from poverty over the next twenty years and another 200 million over the following decade.

Seems like a plan to me.

As the Chinese communist sytem was disintigrating during and in the aftermath of the cultural revolution and before Deng's reforms were initiated, so incomes were falling across the board as the state struggled to feed and clothe the people. The reforms since 1978 have exacerbated this trend as private enterprise has flourished and, to some large degree, replaced the state as the main provider.

This has meant a steady fall in rural incomes over the last 40 years, just as urban wealth has escalated.

The fate of the rural poor, very much now depends upon their entrepreneurial talent. As wages and state pensions have sunk and healthcare and other costs risen, most country dwellers now need to engage in small scall economic enterprise.

It is an extremely important element of their income.

So :rolleyes: to you!

:p

Woof

Back
Top Bottom