Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Two people killed in Railton Road 30th October 2022

64023953-11372615-image-m-10_1667213053863.jpg

Condolences to the friends and family of the Late Guilherme Messias Da Silva.

London live reports one of the dead was a passing 21yr old deliveroo driver. Is this his photo above? This is so sad. 😔

London live reports one of the dead was a passing 21yr old deliveroo driver. Is this his photo above? This is so sad. 😔
Sky news says

Sebastian Morrison, who lives nearby, told local news site MyLondon that residents had reported hearing 12 shots and "fire exchanged between a pair on a moped and people in a car".

brixton, i meant, i understand it's heavily policed.

Not sure if this bit of Railton road is still in my Council ward. But LJ and Brixton aren't heavily policed if you mean by actual cops on the street.

Reading about policing and one person I read pointed out that the Tories have been "defunding" the police minus these funds being put into social programs.

Kind of perverse right wing support of the progressive BLM defund the police argument.

What happens in practice is that crime hotspots finally get attention of police. Due to ( justified) complaints and Cllrs taking issues up. Brixton Station road he recent example.

Short term more police presence reduces problem.

But underlying socio economic factors are of course not addressed. So problem is in reality pushed elsewhere.

On this I don't blame police. In this country social problems have been off loaded onto police.

Given that the underlying economic situation is only going to get worse. That inequalities aren't going to be dealt with I don't see how this kind of criminality is going to be reduced.

The other argument is to blame behaviour and social practices such as " Drill" music as creating a climate that fosters violence in a cultural way. So instead of dealing with structural inequality and racism focus on cultural practices.

Which fits in with Tory emphasis on " personal responsibility"

Blame Drill music.

More details in the Standard. The guy killed by gunfire was a drill rapper called Perm. The Deliveroo rider, Guilherme Messias da Silva, was killed when he was hit by one of two cars which were in a chase. It seems that the car occupant(s) were doing the shooting. Boxer Dillian Whyte pays tribute to ‘pioneer’ drill artist killed in Brixton shooting

It happened pretty much outside the burnt-out house on Railton Road where a nurse was killed by her husband and son earlier this year, but there's no connection between that family and the shooting, according to a policeman I spoke to this afernoon. (The husband and son are in prison.)

It's not particularly. I rarely see uniformed officers actually on the street (and the neighbourhood station on CHL closed). Far more likely to see the blue lights speeding to an incident.
There are police patrolling the estates. I spoke to 2 of them today. They were on bicycles, which are better than cars for chasing people in walkways and alleyways. The estates have a high concentration of cameras, which are monitored all the time in control rooms. Kids who look suspicious are spoken to and searched. But we don't see this activity unless we live on an estate.

Its really bad that someone completely innocent was caught up in this nonsense and lost his life. I used to live with a young Brazilian guy who made ends meet doing Deliveroo drops in the area, so i thought of him with this news.

Apparently some folk were still not being allowed back to their homes yesterday whilst the investigation continues. I read something about a respite center being available in the town hall.

Last night families inside the cordon were handing out sweets to passing trick or treaters over the barrier tape.

Back
Top Bottom