Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The depressing growth of people with substance dependency on the streets of Brixton

I very rarely venture to Brixton these days but when I do the contrast between the haves and the have nots is very very depressing. Off duty city boys swaggering past junkies on the street who in many cases can't even be arsed begging. They're just lying there. Not the place I used to love. Glad to have escaped.
The Daily Mail writes...

I very rarely venture to Brixton these days but when I do the contrast between the haves and the have nots is very very depressing. Off duty city boys swaggering past junkies on the street who in many cases can't even be arsed begging. They're just lying there. Not the place I used to love. Glad to have escaped.
How about not calling people "junkies"?

it means it reads like something you'd see on the Daily Mail website. slagging off area + wasn't like this in the good old days + glad I don't live there anymore.

WTF? I lived in Brixton for 20+ years. When I first moved there it was a wonderful community. I imagine the Mail response would be quite the opposite, which is 'oh I hear its got so much better in recent years' which you hear from white middle class colleagues.

edit: should add i lived with two self-confessed 'junkies' for much of that time, had to go pick up their methadone from brighton terrace quite often. grow up.

They're now claiming to be a couple and their friend all living together and all connecting through the same IP address!

Bang to rights. I liked their sub Captain Mainwering response about privacy after they were found to be as guilty as a puppy next to a pile of poo.

Bang to rights. I liked their sub Captain Mainwering response about privacy after they were found to be as guilty as a puppy next to a pile of poo.
Yeah, complete bullshit that it was 3 different people. I also doubt that in a group of people wanting to do something positive about their community they would disregard and ostracise someone due to race and class in an area such as Brixton which as we know is one of the most multicultural areas of London with a large working class population. Glad editor called them out.

It's rare I agree with pbsmooth but yeah, what a moved to the suburbs/home counties piece of shit comment.

Lol. Yep, I'm living in leafy Surrey now riding my lawnmower around my estate :D

(im in an area of east london which does have the feel of brixton 20 years ago)

Lol. Yep, I'm living in leafy Surrey now riding my lawnmower around my estate :D

Then you should know that what you described is not the majority of Brixton with it's long term committed communities from many different backgrounds.

If I had to leave Brixton, I'd probably be drawn to supposed 'dumps' like New Cross and Deptford because they had that same vibe for me.

While I can't attest to what Labour would do if they got into power. When they got into power before the money they pumped into social care saw drug services expand hugely. People were employed as drug workers across harm reduction, CJ and prescribing and while it didnt solve it all, there was a few years in the early 2000s where there looked like some evidence based hope. That's all been eroded under this government with cuts since 2008 year on year, with contacts being given to the lowest bidder. It's a fucking shit show, and it's not just Brixton.

My local community leader in this video she made says its all about crack users ( her term) and the violence associated with them. That this is worse than ever before.

Well. I did live in Brixton a long time and still go through it regularly.

There was a serious issue years ago. The worst I found was the addicts tipping our bins on pavement to find anything worth selling. I did ask them to stop. I've never had physical violence from people who clearly have drug problems in time I was in Brixton. They were in such a sorry state they were not capable of anything that serious.

I am a reasonably fit male. Even if not a spring chicken. So less likely to feel intimidated.

My experience over years was that Police would push the drug addicts out of central Brixton and the problem would then be pushed to local estates. That is what people living on the big estates told me. The problem was pushed elsewhere for a while.

The other issue is not the drug users ( crack addicts) being intimidating or violent but the problem is the people hanging about selling drugs. Had this problem at Brixton Rec entrance recently. And the shops underneath, They have no respect and when asked to move do not. As this is place where people with children go.

I'm not comfortable with view that puts this all on "crack addicts" as being violent.

On way back home from Brixton tube was several times asked for money. One is person I see regularly. Whilst some are a bit insistent most are not.

I'm not comfortable with just pinning this all on addicts as the video does.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom