Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Transgender is it just me that is totally perplexed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From where I'm sat it's this particular strand of rad feminism that is the ID politics. They are the ones setting themselves up as the arbiters over who is allowed to join their club.
it is definitely a form of ID-politics, one which was well discredited back in the day and now sees a parallel mirror resurgence amongst the recent wave too.

why is it that a man hitting a woman is such a bad thing again? can you explain it? is it something to do with strength or something?

No, it's something to do with power. Man > Women, Boss > Worker, White > Black
I think it's something to do with strength, tbf.

I'm very uneasy with the idea of hitting a woman, and nobody has condoned this woman being punched, despite what DU is claiming.

No. I mean gender is not determined by possession of XY or XX chromosomes. It's far more complex than that.
and chromosomes have no active part in sexing the body once it's developed. All the heavy lifting is done by hormones. I actually don't give a frig about my chromosomes. And apart from the probability that they are indeed XY - this is by no means a certainty and I've never been able to get them tested. Who knows for sure what chromosomes they have?

After taking estrogen for nearly 4 years i am identified as female. That's all i ever wanted. So the whole you can't change your chromosomes is so wide of the mark of being a valid point. It's like shouting at a recently converted building - but you can't change your blueprints! Who gives a fuck?

very true. sometimes they're also used instrumentally in arguments to deflect attention from the real issues, such as a woman being punched in the face after being assaulted by three self-identified women who physically had the strength of men
Physical strength is a starting point, but doesn't hold water as a binary approach. I'm a cis woman but I'm hefty. I reckon I could take a skinny bloke in a fight. If a trans woman has had hormonal treatment since the onset of puberty, is it ok for her to hit a woman? What about small bilked getting hit by big blokes? Is that as bad? What about if the attacker has got a really bad earache and as a result their balance is off?

Unless you're going to condemn or condone fights based on a detailed medical exam of each participant, sex and gender are too broad a brush to moralise upon.

Male violence is a huge problem. Men are far more frequently violent to other men than to women.

Male violence against women is a specific concern when it is sexual violence, and when it is domestic violence. Neither are the case here, I'm sure you'd agree.

Physical strength is a starting point, but doesn't hold water as a binary approach. I'm a cis woman but I'm hefty. I reckon I could take a skinny bloke in a fight. If a trans woman has had hormonal treatment since the onset of puberty, is it ok for her to hit a woman? What about small bilked getting hit by big blokes? Is that as bad? What about if the attacker has got a really bad earache and as a result their balance is off?

Unless you're going to condemn or condone fights based on a detailed medical exam of each participant, sex and gender are too broad a brush to moralise upon.

Male violence is a huge problem. Men are far more frequently violent to other men than to women.

Male violence against women is a specific concern when it is sexual violence, and when it is domestic violence. Neither are the case here, I'm sure you'd agree.

it's a crude measure and it doesn't hold true in all circumstances - i remember seeing small guys physically taunted and bullied by heftier girls at school but knowing they couldn't hit back, 'cos of convention... but the reason the taboo is there is because of a generalised disparity in strength.

also spanglechick - i don't think the concern is only there for domestic/sexual abuse. people are pretty angsty about blokes fighting with women in pubs like they might do with other men. understandably.

also the idea that through the magic of self-identification one can simply take on a new power-position within society is frankly mad
If you were talking about some sort of voluntary change I'd agree. "I've decided to be an aristocrat, therefore I own half of Mayfair." is plainly ridiculous.

"I was born in a male body, but I feel like a woman." has a pretty solid evidential basis and can't be brushed away like that.

its not a very effective taboo is it. I'd say 'don't sleep with your siblings' is honoured with more frequency than 'don't hit a woman'
That one has biology on its side though. We're not the only animals with an incest-aversion and it's an evolved thing. We don't need holding back from sleeping with our siblings - if we grew up with them, overwhelmingly the very idea is just 'no'.

If you were talking about some sort of voluntary change I'd agree. "I've decided to be an aristocrat, therefore I own half of Mayfair." is plainly ridiculous.

"I was born in a male body, but I feel like a woman." has a pretty solid evidential basis and can't be brushed away like that.

define feel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom