Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Touring Musicians Are Brutal on the Environment

Wet ? . It’s 33c here and its too hot to leave the bar.
Me and Mrs FA were just talking about our (now not happening) summer hol. Ferry is still booked (Southampton->Bilbao/Santander->Southampton) and they won't cancel it so I can't get money back atm. Was planning Haro -> A Coruna -> Ericeira -> Cascais -> Malaga -> Toledo -> Santander.

Good idea, that will piss the barbecue obsessed neighbours off!

Dont get me started on barbecues.
Horrible smokey smelly things. Designed for show off types in their yellow polo shirts and knee length pink shorts and bare pedicured feet in brown leather sandals. They all need to just go and boil their sausages!!

😁

I actually started typing out a reply to this covering various initiatives and ideas the industry has been doing/is planning over this issue, then realised I’d rather stick forks in my eyes than attempt reasoned debate on this particular thread.

Maybe for another day...
Why do I get the feeling that those ideas and initiatives won't involve anything that might see you and other people in the industry out of pocket?

That's a no-brainer - all that heavy kit etc getting moved around, of course a band tour will rack up carbon miles.
but the amount does surprise me, actually I thought it would be more ...
Those figures quoted weren't for big bands. They were for 5 single musicians.

tbh the problem of bands touring pales into insignificance compared to the problem of routine military activity

and i know which i'd rather see curtailed
Yes, but I don't participate in routine military activity, therefore it's of no concern to Saul whatsoever.

The way we're currently working is obsolete. The technology is in place to make working in offices a thing of the past. The same technology can be used to make many journeys unnecessary. Business meetings don't require a load of people flying to China, when the same result could be achieved on Zoom. Why aren't we using this technology to its full potential? How many people are needlessly travelling to work in an office each day, when that work could be done from home?
You can sneer at this all you like, but it's the future, and it's coming.

We need to start asking "is it necessary?"
If we're concerned about the environment, it's time we all started asking "Do I really need to make this journey?"
I think a good starting point would be decent internet access for everyone, subsidised by the government, in order to facilitate things like streaming music and video. That would absolutely negate the need for bands to travel.

I know you're not being entirely serious, but it's not quite the same is it? Going to music is a social thing that can't be replacated at home.

I think I recall that a similar study was done on F1 which also involves many truck loads of kit being traipsed around the planet and a similar result was found, i.e. lots of carbon.

The way we're currently working is obsolete. The technology is in place to make working in offices a thing of the past. The same technology can be used to make many journeys unnecessary. Business meetings don't require a load of people flying to China, when the same result could be achieved on Zoom. Why aren't we using this technology to its full potential? How many people are needlessly travelling to work in an office each day, when that work could be done from home?
You can sneer at this all you like, but it's the future, and it's coming.
Have you ever been to a live gig? It's not really much like a business meeting. Unless it's Coldp... No, that would be too obvious.

I know you're not being entirely serious, but it's not quite the same is it? Going to music is a social thing that can't be replacated at home.
It can't be replicated but that isn't a good enough reason to do nothing about the problem.
Bands' performances could be transmitted live to big screens in local venues, so thousands of people aren't travelling unnecessarily long distances. This would have the added benefit of reaching a much larger audience.
Mark my words, it's the future of music.

We, as in all the people of earth, need to stop wrecking the joint and do what we can to repair the devastation caused by our activities.

We, as in all the people of earth, need to stop wrecking the joint and do what we can to repair the devastation caused by our activities.
I'm not sure we can ever repair it but we have to try. Unfortunately, some people seem to think that pointing the finger at others is the solution.

Yes, but I don't participate in routine military activity, therefore it's of no concern to Saul whatsoever.
If you want to talk about a specific subject, it's generally considered the norm to post your comments on a thread about that specific subject. That's why separate threads exist and are created.
:hmm: :thumbs:

But if you have anything worthwhile to add, please, feel free.

"But not for long, because online quarrelling is also addictive, in precisely the same way Tetris is addictive. It appeals to the "lab rat" part of your brain; the annoying, irrepressible part that adores repetitive pointlessness and would gleefully make you pop bubblewrap till Doomsday if it ever got its way.

An unfortunate few, hooked on the futile thrill of online debate, devote their lives to its cause. They roam the internet, actively seeking out viewpoints they disagree with, or squat on message boards, whining, needling, sneering, over-analysing each new proclamation - joylessly fiddling, like unhappy gorillas doomed to pick lice from one another's fur for all eternity."

(Charlie Brooker)

Or maybe that should be, "previously band band should be band"? :D
Or maybe you should stop pointing the finger at others, and realise that your lifestyle decisions are probably far more damaging to the planet than those you are pointing the finger at?
Maybe it's time to stop being a hypocrite?

Or maybe you should stop pointing the finger at others, and realise that your lifestyle decisions are probably far more damaging to the planet than those you are pointing the finger at?
Maybe it's time to stop being a hypocrite?
Ah, so the thread is indeed a direct attack on me - which makes it a call out thread - and that's something which is very much against the rules here.

Bit of a dangerous strategy that, given that you're a banned poster who broke the rules by sneaking back on here and is only allowed to continue to post by the good grace of the mods.

Ah, so the thread is indeed a direct attack on me - which makes it a call out thread -a nd that's something which is very much against the rules here.

Bit of a dangerous strategy that, given that you're a banned poster who broke the rules by sneaking back on here and is only allowed to continue to post by the good grace of the mods.
So instead of addressing the point, you go with your usual bullshit?
Who is this banned person you speak of?

Back
Top Bottom