Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Touring Musicians Are Brutal on the Environment

If you want to talk about a specific subject, it's generally considered the norm to post your comments on a thread about that specific subject. That's why separate threads exist and are created.

I replied directly to your post. How that can be more suitable to another thread I have no idea.

Back on topic.

Given that we have YouTube and other such platforms, isn't it about time all bands stopped touring? Surely bands would reach a much larger audience using these marvelous modern wonders.

Due to the pandemic, we've come to realise that yes, a lot of people can actually work from home. If more people stop travelling to work, the environment wins. Bands can easily accomplish this, via the medium of YouTube, and monetising their YouTube channel would pay the bills. Surely this is the way forward?

Due to the pandemic, we've come to realise that yes, a lot of people can actually work from home. If more people stop travelling to work, the environment wins. Bands can easily accomplish this, via the medium of YouTube, and monetising their YouTube channel would pay the bills. Surely this is the way forward?

Maybe you should write a lazily written piece for an American newspaper title it something more controversial than the actual article argues for. Relate it somehow to covid-19 and then say obvious things like flying is bad for the environment.

It seems to work the opposite way.

I do think there is some element of debate to be had about this particularly for example with clubs and dance music. Don't get me wrong I have a lot of respect for the people that reach that "level" but some of the fees people pay for that and travel could probably be better invested in local talent. It leaves a bitter pill when the "star" playing records is getting 1000's and the local people who have been playing for years too get a few beers, but quite often play a better set.

Then there's the environment element too.

We need to start asking "is it necessary?"
If we're concerned about the environment, it's time we all started asking "Do I really need to make this journey?"
I think a good starting point would be decent internet access for everyone, subsidised by the government, in order to facilitate things like streaming music and video. That would absolutely negate the need for bands to travel.

Just not on this thread probably :D

I mean fucking hell Saul, I like a shitpost thread on a wet Saturday afternoon as much as the next slacker but does it have to be one with a dig at ed as it's premise? Just feels a bit nasty.
Wet ? . It’s 33c here and its too hot to leave the bar.

If we're concerned about the environment, it's time we all started asking "Do I really need to make this journey?"
I think a good starting point would be decent internet access for everyone, subsidised by the government, in order to facilitate things like streaming music and video. That would absolutely negate the need for bands to travel.

that would negate the need for many people to travel. Not just bands.
The cheap ryanair holidays for a tenner should go for a start. May as well take out a barrel of oil and just burn it in the garden.

that would negate the need for many people to travel. Not just bands.
The cheap ryanair holidays for a tenner should go for a start. May as well take out a barrel of oil and just burn it in the garden.
Indeed. I reckon a massive percentage of the work carried out in London could be done from people's homes. It's absolutely stupid not to be working towards that.

That's a no-brainer - all that heavy kit etc getting moved around, of course a band tour will rack up carbon miles.
but the amount does surprise me, actually I thought it would be more ...

tbh the problem of bands touring pales into insignificance compared to the problem of routine military activity

and i know which i'd rather see curtailed

I actually started typing out a reply to this covering various initiatives and ideas the industry has been doing/is planning over this issue, then realised I’d rather stick forks in my eyes than attempt reasoned debate on this particular thread.

Maybe for another day...

Back
Top Bottom