Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Titanic tourist sub missing

The details maybe but everyone knows what happened. Rich egomaniac built something that wasn't up to the job. Everyone else who saw it and knew about such things from an engineering PoV said nah mate, it's a fucking death trap. The passengers were persuaded by his shtick. I have sympathy for them here, yeah, yeah mega rich maybe and that guy's son of course but they reasonably assumed a company taking a sub down to those depths might have built something a bit more up to it than a Ford Fiesta.

Probably not but he's not going to get the chance now.

The fact he didn't want to do it but was pushed into it by the adults is part of why I feel that some sort of legislation should be great.

Get what you're saying, but this shouldn't really have any effect on the investigation. Particularly not the coastguard one, which is presumably pure issues of fact; i.e what physically took place. Legal issues of liability beyond that likely wouldn't extend beyond the immediate company structure (or whatever individuals own its assets). I mean could be wrong, but that tends to be the case for corporate liability.

e2a: US coastguard does bring prosecutions though. Maybe that's part of it. But again, I mean they're presumably not short of expert witnesses. And we've seen plenty of material that basically admits liability.

Probably not but he's not going to get the chance now.

The fact he didn't want to do it but was pushed into it by the adults is part of why I feel that some sort of legislation should be great.

He shouldn't have been born to a rich cunt then, all his own fault.

Musk, Gates, Bezos, all them cunts try to pretend they got where they did off their own backs, well this prick got where he did cos of the same. Squished.

Think about it in terms of Boeing's current issues... Specifically choose the Alaska door thing, since that's US. The FTSB (I think that's the right agency) investigation finding that the door failed because bolts were forgotten (or whatever it was) is purely a statement of what happened. It's the basis from which further legal action could proceed, but in itself it's descriptive. That part of the investigation doesn't need to look into the dire issues at their main facility etc, it just needs to find the immediate cause of the event.

Last edited:
60 Minutes Australia have been at it again with the dramatic interviewing incidentally:

It doesn't have a great deal of new info, but it does paint the coastguard as somewhat bound by internal procedures and unwilling to expose themselves to external criticism. They had information from the USN that an implosion had taken place at the site, 2 hours after the 'vessel' launched (believe we knew this fairly soon after?) but sort of strung everyone along because 'it was classified' and because they didn't have the kit to go and check the site at short notice.

Also James Cameron on the unlikeliness of the wrench sounds: 'That's like hearing a sparrow fart over the cacophony of an airport'.

Back
Top Bottom