Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tour de France 2022

It was a cracking ride, but I think even you have to admit he got lucky with the weather easing off.

Pog was the most impressive though. De-facto race leader already, but can sit back while other teams have to take control tomorrow.

Van Aert said it didn't matter; the road itself was just as wet but there's often a bit of luck to the draw in ITTs. Thomas had the worst of the weather and also forgot to take off his gilet; that must have added a few seconds.
Hoping for a Fabio win tomorrow not just because it'd be a great story but it would shut up the rabid Cav fans spamming the Quickstep Facebook page,

Van Aert said it didn't matter; the road itself was just as wet but there's often a bit of luck to the draw in ITTs. Thomas had the worst of the weather and also forgot to take off his gilet; that must have added a few seconds.
Hoping for a Fabio win tomorrow not just because it'd be a great story but it would shut up the rabid Cav fans spamming the Quickstep Facebook page,
Tomorrow will be all about that bridge. If the wind is blowing as expected it’ll be carnage :cool: :D

This must be the first tour with no rim brakes since 1908!
I was wondering about that. Are they going to stick with discs in the mountains? I thought discs were heavier than rims, so they dropped them. On the other hand discs could make for faster descents.

I was wondering about that. Are they going to stick with discs in the mountains? I thought discs were heavier than rims, so they dropped them. On the other hand discs could make for faster descents.
Frames etc are light enough now that the bikes are on the weight limit anyway most of the time. And discs are better than rim, in spite of what traditionalists (and Chris Froome) say.

Improvements in materials and manufacturing and FE design have allowed bikes to be made lighter every year, but the UCI race bikes for ordinary stages or TTs have got heavier. Aero frames with deep tubes are heavier than ones with small round tubes. Most people now have a power meter built into the crankset. Everyone now has deep section rims on ordinary stages. Transmissions stopped getting lighter when they added batteries and satellite shifters. And they're all 12 speed. And many people have got oversized jockey wheels. Which need longer chains. Everyone now has flat topped aero bars instead of round ones. So the UCI limit has led to bikes having more features and more toys. Which is great for the manufacturers. I can't remember the last time that anyone needed extra weights. Maybe on a climbing bike when they're determined not to be over the limit. But for an ordinary stage the bike might be half a kilo or more over the limit.

Improvements in materials and manufacturing and FE design have allowed bikes to be made lighter every year, but the UCI race bikes for ordinary stages or TTs have got heavier. Aero frames with deep tubes are heavier than ones with small round tubes. Most people now have a power meter built into the crankset. Everyone now has deep section rims on ordinary stages. Transmissions stopped getting lighter when they added batteries and satellite shifters. And they're all 12 speed. And many people have got oversized jockey wheels. Which need longer chains. Everyone now has flat topped aero bars instead of round ones. So the UCI limit has led to bikes having more features and more toys. Which is great for the manufacturers. I can't remember the last time that anyone needed extra weights. Maybe on a climbing bike when they're determined not to be over the limit. But for an ordinary stage the bike might be half a kilo or more over the limit.
Aero > weight

Especially in the wet
I was thinking especially if you're descending hairpins, where the braking distance is much shorter with discs.

Anyway, top notch finish today. Everyone watching for yellow and green and Groenewegen came from nowhere, almost McEwan-style.

And kudos for ITV4 for using Amyl and the Sniffers as their closing music.

What a sad sad day it turned out to be yesterday. It's been a superb 3 days for the people of Denmark and the Tour De France and then there were those awful shootings. Given the success, have to think the tour will be back there in a few years.

My visitors have gone out for the day, I'm now + again, but hey, it's a great day in le tour about to kick off....cobbles 😁

It's shaping up to be a fun day. WVA hit street furniture and came down. Trying to get back on, he hit a team car and survived.

Did Sagan hit the deck just before the first cobbles?
Generally, with Her going well, it sounds like ineos are struggling to know who their team leader is again 🤔

I'll confess I missed most of yesterday's highlights, and will probably miss most of tonight's.

However the massive crash that was happening on C4 news was too good to turn over.

Absolute lol at Jumbo today. It went bad, then worse, then terrible :D

Still, they just about managed to salvage things at the end. Roglic is done though, they’ll surely all have to ride for Vingegaard now.

MvdP is clearly not on form.

Pog is clearly on a level above everyone else. He rode those cobbles like a classics veteran, not a GC contender.

Was a great stage :cool:

Back
Top Bottom