Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tory leadership contest 2024

Who will win the poisoned chalice and lead the tories?

• Kemi Badenoch

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Tom Tugendhat

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Priti Patel

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Suella Braverman

• Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Robert Jenrick

• James Cleverly

• Boris Johnson

• David Cameron

• Nigel Farage

• Liz Truss (for the LOLs)

• Other choice (mention in thread)

• Total voters

MrCurry

differently unable
Runners and riders please…. For winner, my personal preference would be Grant Shapps or whatever he’s calling himself this year.

I can’t think of anyone who will do a better job of failing to regroup and make the tories relevant again in time for the next election than that venal, corrupt weasel.

ETA. just realised him losing his seat, funny though it is, denies me the pleasure of him becoming leader of the shrunken Tory cabal. So who does that leave as most likely?

The membership will elect a headbanger. I don't know who the remaining MPs are. Johnson kicked out a lot of one nation tories so it's largely headbangers left.

If refuk do a quick deal with the tories, I think the tory membership would go for Farage in a heartbeat. A quick deal is unlikely though

He's already started - he was tweeting 'this is the end of the Tory party as we have seen it'.

Which suggests there might be a new version on the horizon.
The Conservatives have a long and well established party machine, but a reputation and voter base in the toilet.

Reform have the dysfunctional party machine of a recent startup, but a rapidly increasing and motivated voter base.

Local elections and by elections will come and go with the 2 still taking votes off each other, and chatter will increase about pacts and "uniting the right"; a few well placed defections from Conservative to Reform will tip the power balance (not in terms of pure numbers in parliament, but the profile of the people in question and the direction of travel).

Farage isn't interested in being the leader of a Conservative opposition. He wants to contest the 2029 election as leader of the Reform party having subsumed all the resources the Tories have to offer - the activists, the data analysts, the tame media contacts, the doorknockers and leaflet droppers.

Unless Labour hit the ground running and get themselves a positive record to point to (some hope) Britain is now potentially on a 5 year countdown to democratically electing an openly Fascist government.

The Conservatives have a long and well established party machine, but a reputation and voter base in the toilet.

Reform have the dysfunctional party machine of a recent startup, but a rapidly increasing and motivated voter base.

Local elections and by elections will come and go with the 2 still taking votes off each other, and chatter will increase about pacts and "uniting the right"; a few well placed defections from Conservative to Reform will tip the power balance (not in terms of pure numbers in parliament, but the profile of the people in question and the direction of travel).

Farage isn't interested in being the leader of a Conservative opposition. He wants to contest the 2029 election as leader of the Reform party having subsumed all the resources the Tories have to offer - the activists, the data analysts, the tame media contacts, the doorknockers and leaflet droppers.

Unless Labour hit the ground running and get themselves a positive record to point to (some hope) Britain is now potentially on a 5 year countdown to democratically electing an openly Fascist government.
I get the direction of the point you are trying to make. However whilst Reform are clearly a right wing populist party in what way are they openly fascist?

I'd imagine that James Cleverly or Priti Patel would be sensible choices for Tory leadership. However, the Tory membership seems to be loonies so we'll end up with some oddball.

I get the direction of the point you are trying to make. However whilst Reform are clearly a right wing populist party in what way are they openly fascist?
Maybe there's a touch of hyperbole in my last line. But even while not there yet, given the rightwards direction of travel (of everywhere, not just Reform or Britain as a whole), I don't think it's that outlandish to suggest that in 5 years time right wing populism will be blurring the boundaries between itself and fascism.

I would have thought that they'll want to re-jig their rules for selecting a leader before actually starting a contest. Probably not wise to leave it to the membership again.

Back
Top Bottom