Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tory Leadership contest 2022

Johnson will just scrape it. He'll be catastrophically damaged, and the next year will be just ever more random culture war announcements, few of which will come to fruition, and he'll finally be ousted in 12 months at the next VONC.

(Urbans' foremost political forecaster, I have correctly predicted some 3 of the last 87 major political events)

Johnson will just scrape it. He'll be catastrophically damaged, and the next year will be just ever more random culture war announcements, few of which will come to fruition, and he'll finally be ousted in 12 months at the next VONC.

(Urbans' foremost political forecaster, I have correctly predicted some 3 of the last 87 major political events)
Been lots of chatter about them 'not being ready' with the replacement yet...so maybe, but I expect those noises have been put out there for all of the their previous VoNCs

Brady says arrangements are in place for proxy votes for colleagues who can't be there today.

Who decides who gets to cast the proxy votes? The cynic in me says either side can weaponise those in a secret ballot expected to be close.

Brady says arrangements are in place for proxy votes for colleagues who can't be there today.

Who decides who gets to cast the proxy votes? The cynic in me says either side can weaponise those in a secret ballot expected to be close.

Presumably the person who can't vote chooses someone to cast a vote on their behalf, and obviously wouldn't pick someone who has any chance of not voting as they would.

A some ministers are going to be damaged by their vocal support for Johnson, but many have avoided comment as much as possible, so it's worth looking at how party members rate them, this is from last week.

2hh.png

It'll be a close enough win that any other PM would resign but this is Johnson.

Mrs Thatcher won the vote but then the cabinet all told her that her time was up. That's unlikely to happen here as the only criteria for being in Johnson's cabinet is loyalty to him and brexit

It's a secret ballot, so how would that work?
"I hear you're casting the ballot for <absent colleague>. Here's a big sack of cash/cushy cabinet job/we won't release the photos* if you vote the right way."

I'm only messing btw, I know there will be some heavy leaning on MPs today but I don't think actual foul play.

*delete as appropriate

It'll be a close enough win that any other PM would resign but this is Johnson.

I saw an amusing quip from some Tory hack on twitter:

'He'll technically win, but the rebellion of some 150+ MP's will finish the idea that the government has the confidence of the House - so Graham Brady will visit the PM with a glass of whisky, a revolver, and the message that the time has come to do the decent thing. Unfortunately this is Boris Johnson, so he'll drink the whisky and shoot Brady...'

Back
Top Bottom