Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

This week in your Kitchen Garden.

These have popped up next to my line of carrots. Cheeky weeds?
My only hesitation is that they seem to be in some kind of line themselves.

Free Spirit may be right about it being a lettuce, still not eaten it though.:hmm: Sorry shit photo.

I am sorry mate. I wonder what happened then, beans have been my most reliable crop.

Turns out pinot grigio is an anti-histamine. Ner'y an itch! Chin chin!

That's one of the most useful bits of advice I've come across :D

We've now got flowers on our peas and a few of the runner beans - hurrah!

Mayjune10156.jpg

From closest to camera- pumpkins x3 courgettes x4 ( the one which has been peed on is the largest nesrest the pea net) Peas, broad beans next to it , runner beans behind that against the wall and either runner or french beans next to that- kids planted and didnt remember what sort of beans

Mayjune10165.jpg

pepper and cabbage seedlings ( will be planted next to the pumpkins)
Mayjune10167.jpg

Strawberry plants now doing well!

Mayjune10157.jpg

chez poulet after yesterdays hard work

Mayjune10160.jpg

Mayjune10158.jpg

happy chickens able to roam now

and tomatoes and potatoes, seem to be going ok - dug up a few spuds because they were supposed to be ready when flowering but nowhere near ready at all:facepalm:

Mayjune10161.jpg

and herbs and lettuces.... lots more in seed trays indoors

Mayjune10162.jpg

ooh, lovely pics LMHF.
My potatoes are looking to be at the same stage(ish) as yours so it's useful to know they weren't ready. Have you been feeding yours? (I only start last week - oops).

Chickens look great!

Nope, Ive been adding compost when theyve seemed a little droopy. One which drooped badly I pulled up and it had gone rotten, the others were more peas than potatoes:oops:

Will get some fertilizer next week- I didnt know to feed them either!

Free Spirit may be right about it being a lettuce, still not eaten it though.:hmm: Sorry shit photo.

I'm pretty sure that's a weed, not lettuce. You can tell by the root. Lettuce have shallow roots and lots of them, whereas what you have has one 'tap root' which will grow quite deep given the chance.

Some strawberries nearly ripe.
Just have to get to them before the birds do this time.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 37
LOL nah I think 4 is fine. we have enough eggs, they are happy.... maybe when they stop laying Ill consider one or two more. I only want enough for our own needs although I do give a few eggs away to friends. Their purpose( as with the vegies growing) was to make us more self reliant rather than to sell the eggs anyway:)

GRR amost had an escapee.... Im going to need to rearrange the fencing at one end of the run

My beetroot seedlings are starting to appear and my carrots!! I think Ill need some more tubs, there isnt anywhere near enough room for it all in the ground.

I finally managed to do my back in - well just a tad - my right shoulderblade - poor planning and tiredness - working in cramped conditions - my greenhouse.

You take an 8 year break from full-on gardening and you're 8 years older ... more motivation than ever to get my automatic irrigation set up.

Last time I tried it, I used a pond pump in a domestic header tank and I actually put the nutrients in the tank - so the drippers quickly clogged.
Quite frankly I'm inclined to use a much faster flow - equivalent to standing there with a watering can.

the biggest problem is in getting an even drip from 26 feet / 8 metres of hose - I suppose it's just as well the tomatoes will be first in line.
The ideal would probably be to have a manifold on the roof and 16 individual driplines ...

Has anyone else ever tried to set something up ?

As an experiment, this morning I sowed a replacement set of French and runner beans in well-watered fibre pots of compost in my indoor sowing cabinet.

I don't want to take any chances this time. How can I possibly have managed to kill 18 bean seeds is beyond me...

Ironically, I think I may try and find some cheap plastic pots that they will just fit in so that they don't dry out too much in the initial stages.

I've just googled and people are talking about cutting them up a bit before planting .:confused:

By all accounts the biggest problem is if you leave the rim above the ground when you plant so the moisture wicks out ...

As an experiment, this morning I sowed a replacement set of French and runner beans in well-watered fibre pots of compost in my indoor sowing cabinet.

I don't want to take any chances this time. How can I possibly have managed to kill 18 bean seeds is beyond me...

Ironically, I think I may try and find some cheap plastic pots that they will just fit in so that they don't dry out too much in the initial stages.

I've just googled and people are talking about cutting them up a bit before planting .:confused:

By all accounts the biggest problem is if you leave the rim above the ground when you plant so the moisture wicks out ...
IME they don't want to be particularly well watered when first planted, just warm. If you think about it, they don't have any roots, so have no way of absorbing the water pretty much until they're showing above the soil, at this stage they're almost entirely using up the energy contained within the bean rather than absorbing water and nutrients from the surrounding soil.

watering them too much at this stage is likely to make them rot I reckon...;)

IME they don't want to be particularly well watered when first planted, just warm. If you think about it, they don't have any roots, so have no way of absorbing the water pretty much until they're showing above the soil, at this stage they're almost entirely using up the energy contained within the bean rather than absorbing water and nutrients from the surrounding soil.

watering them too much at this stage is likely to make them rot I reckon...;)

Well I'll give'em a day or two in my soaked pots of compost. :facepalm:

:D

At least indoors everything's fairly sterile.

Maybe it's just big seeds I have problems with ...

I'm going to give 'em bottom heat too ... :hmm:

I planted mine by shoving them into plastic pots of damp compost and leaving them on the windowsill. Then I planted them out at easter, have ignored them ever since and they are flowering beautifully.

You can overthink this gardening lark you know.................

I planted mine by shoving them into plastic pots of damp compost and leaving them on the windowsill. Then I planted them out at easter, have ignored them ever since and they are flowering beautifully.

You can overthink this gardening lark you know.................

Except it it's now mid-June ;)

Got in at 5 am, went on a little snail hunt. Filled one and half pint glasses with the blighters.
Once I got my eye in, there were everywhere.

Then almost killed myself tripping over a step ladder in my haste to launch them onto the garage roof (for the birds).
Still, the coroner's report would have been interesting.

As I came up the garden to go in, there comes Ginger tabby and his mate sauntering over my little office roof- looking for all the world like they were rolling home after a mad night out. We nodded to each other and went on our way. He hasnt fouled the garden in a a good few weeks now, clearly after months of game playing we have reached an understanding.:cool:

damn chickens have got out twice today
gotta really rethink the enclosure... thankfully they hadnt munched my beans, I havent checked anything else yet

Back
Top Bottom