Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

This week in your Kitchen Garden.

Boatie boy is such a dish! :) Fashionably dressed too!

Get you and your neat drills and your tidy plot!

Is anyone still using cloches? For aesthetic reasons I want to remove the last of mine, but obviously not if there is still some benefit.

Gah! My tomatoes are still under a foot tall. My aubergines are really still seedlings.
Where are my big growth spurts!

Pinching out is taking off the top of the growing point. It promotes the growth of side shoots/ fruit.

What are you thinking of pinching out? :D

Are you talking about your tomatoes, zenie? You just remove the little shoots that form between two existing stalky bits, iyswim? :hmm: Will see if I can find a pic!

I dug up one of my strawbs and although some roots are getting through, they do seem a bit restricted, but they're too pot bound now to remove the old pots without fucking the roots right up :facepalm: so I'm just going to have to leave them I think.

Also discovered today that one of my winter squashes has completely snapped - so it's DEADED! :(

zenie...like this....

tom_shoots1.jpg

Sometimes you find huge ones that you've missed too!
Just gently break them off.

ETA - pic of a bigger one, too

58443.png

A couple of years back my neighbour went to town removing the fruit trusses after mistaking the internodal growth for the side shoots.

Are you talking about your tomatoes, zenie? You just remove the little shoots that form between two existing stalky bits, iyswim? :hmm: Will see if I can find a pic!

I dug up one of my strawbs and although some roots are getting through, they do seem a bit restricted, but they're too pot bound now to remove the old pots without fucking the roots right up :facepalm: so I'm just going to have to leave them I think.

Also discovered today that one of my winter squashes has completely snapped - so it's DEADED! :(

Do you think the strawbs would survive if you made a hole in the bottom of the pot and replanted them? Worth a try?

Thanks for the compliments on me garden folks - I'll take credit for the 'lovely', but I can't take credit for the neatness and straight lines, that's all BoatieBloke's work. I thought he was going to go and get the spirit level when he was putting up the bean frame :D

A couple of years back my neighbour went to town removing the fruit trusses after mistaking the internodal growth for the side shoots.

Yeah - there seems to be quite a lot of stuff on the internet about people pinching out the flowers etc :D :( :D

I found it all quite confusing myself until I saw PICS, tbf!

Do you think the strawbs would survive if you made a hole in the bottom of the pot and replanted them? Worth a try?

The trouble is that they are rooting through the bottom of them already though - just probably not quite as well as they would be if I'd just removed the fuckin pots in the first place... :rolleyes: :facepalm: :mad:

I've given up on them for this year tbh - but hopefully by next year the pots will have decomposed enough to let the roots flow a bit more freely!
I'll be REALLY pissed off if THAT doesn't happen though! :D

I'm going to see what happens with the one I replanted this morning and see how well it survives having had some of it's roots torn off :D and also whether it starts growing more speedily than the rest now....

Is it a terracotta pot you want to keep ?

I reckon it would come off with a good watering first.

Strawberries are tough old things ...

EDIT :-

oh I see - biodegradeable bamboo pots ?

THEY'RE ALREADY IN THE GROUND! :mad: :D

They've been in the ground for AGES!

But haven't flowered at all (which is fine) or even grown too much...then I noticed the peat pots (yes, that's the word, gg :facepalm: ) were still very much in tact around the neck/base of the plant (which they would be, tbf) and wondered whether they had restricted the growth at all (just cos I've not found peat pots to be all that...they dry out very quickly at the seedling stage and lots of the stuff I planted in them and plastic pots always did better in the plastic pots, so I'd just WONDERED whether it was down to that).

Do you SEE? :D

ETA - They were planted out on April 25th (this thread is a very useful reference tool! :cool: )!

I'm guessing you may have planted them out too early - before the roots were breaking through in a situation where you could keep them moist.

I might have a serious go using them with my beans next year. I have my fingers crossed that anything's going to come up - beyond the one solitary one I can see after more than a week.

I have sown direct (on my 50th birthday as it happens :) )and gave them near perfect conditions - effectively a trough filled with B&Q MP compost - albeit stuff that had been hanging about outside (in the bag) for 8 years ...

I'm out there every night and morning now squishing molluscs.

Sadly, I am going to apply nematodes next spring - in spite of having a huge pile of stuff that needs chewing up.

If you're growing chard, spinach, or anything from that family, look out for silvery patches.

I mistook it for sun-scorch, then I though it was snails ...

It turns out the snails were eating leaves which were already being munched on the inside by the maggots of this nasty fly :-

7030470.jpg

yuck.

Where the hell does this come from in an urban street ?

Apparently they also feed on fat hen and similar weeds ...

Attachments

• repalegy.jpg
    repalegy.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 20
Oh well. I guess it may have to be Romanescos out the front and I'll put all my chard out the back.
The caulis are so small, the rather pathetic pea patch will be finished before they're swamped ..

... on the other hand it's supposed to be pretty.

Darn I really should have started some amaranthus ... I wonder if they have anything at the garden centre .. I half want it to be a bit "Carribean" ... though the Tuscan kale is a bit wrong .. the tobacco fits though ..

decisions.. decisions .. :facepalm:

Anyway I have half a dozen tomato plants to pot up from 6 litre pots to 14 litre buckets beforer they start to flop over.

No prob - you're not the only one! :p @ gg

No - I certainly tend to just waffle on here, without really explaining things properly....as if you should all just recall the day I TOLD THE THREAD I'd planted them out! Hehe! :D

well yeah, you and me both:D being dyslexic doesnt help either!!!!

GG my son is a great liquid gold enthusiast.... perfect hobby for an 11 year old boy who wants to do something just a lil bit deviant... peeing in the pop bottles which are watering my courgettes is keeping him happy... I just have to remind him to pour water in them before/after

Back
Top Bottom