Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

This week in your Kitchen Garden.

seconded, thirded etc
Hope you had a wonderful birthday:D

Thanks everyone. :)

I managed to get it ignored by absolutely everyone except one colleague of years back. I just took the day off.

The 50th inevitably affects one .. it probably explains me excavating my garden from the jungle it had become.. sure I have something planned post-retirement, but I have to make the next 10 years really count. :)

Oh yeah! It's your fiftieth year! Celebrate in style! :cool: :D

Btw - I have checked my pea packet and they are VERY EARLY peas (just incase anyone's wondering why theirs haven't started producing yet)!

A stringless variety too (from Mrs M's excellent Real Seeds site :cool: ) that can also be used as mange tout - which is exactly what the small girl and I had tonight, as a starter before our beans on toast! :D :cool:

Peeing on my courgettes and squashes ... I must go and research that specific use ... thanks :D

It was discovered entirely by accident by a mate with an allottment. He was sending his small son into a corner where nothing was growing their side to pee...

Then the allotment holder next door commented on how his "sheltered" courgette plant in the corner did the best when the one in the corner usually didnt do the best.............. hence...a "lex has been piddling there" discussion and a trial last season. The peed on ones definitely grew bigger. I already can see the difference between the one which is having the pee and ones which arent in my patch!!:eek: ( must take photos)

My shrine to the solanacea.

Ooh me back !

I've just found out why people tend not to have an intermediate potting stage with tomatoes.
Getting large plants out of 6 litre pots and safely into their final ones is a bit hairy without a bench set up at a good working height.

Anyway I seem to have got them all transplanted and watered-in without any major incident.

Two of the Gardener's Delights had snuck up side shoots so big I almost left them. I need to go out with a scalpel and do it a bit carefully.

The Brugmansia in the forefront is starting to take off. It arrived in a pot of less than one litre and is now in a 14 litre bucket.

It would make sense to nip the top out to encourage side shoots so I would have lots of cuttings, but that would spoil the shape of the plant - so I'm hoping one shoot coming from the base will be sufficient to start a second plant which will be unashamedly a cuttings factory. I really should have bought two plants - it would only have cost an extra £7.50 :facepalm:
I have an aquarium air pump to almost guarantee rooting.

It will be the turn of the six peppers and two aubergines tomorrow.

Attachments

• tomatoesrepotted.jpg
    tomatoesrepotted.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 2
wow thats quite some sea of green

Thats it, IM gonna take some piccies, even if the patch seems a bit sparse to me right now. Im quite proud of my little collection :)

It was discovered entirely by accident by a mate with an allottment. He was sending his small son into a corner where nothing was growing their side to pee...

Then the allotment holder next door commented on how his "sheltered" courgette plant in the corner did the best when the one in the corner usually didnt do the best.............. hence...a "lex has been piddling there" discussion and a trial last season. The peed on ones definitely grew bigger. I already can see the difference between the one which is having the pee and ones which arent in my patch!!:eek: ( must take photos)

ooh, that's good to know - our courgette plants aren't doing much so far.
BoatieBoy will be happy to 'help' I'm sure :D

Yes LMHF - piccies please!

a little more research says that you shouldnt pee directly on them... into an upturned pop bottle with the top cut off then water in well afterwards;)

Im sure Boatieboy will be only too pleased to be allowed to help.... My son thinks its hillarious, boys, willies, wee wee anywhere other than the loo... You know:D

Pics later

*alerts social services!*

Ive dug up 4 self seeded morello cherries, between 2 and 5 years old.
I hope the summer fete ladies want them, otherwise it is a spot of 3am guerilla gardening in my local park.

*alerts social services!*

Ive dug up 4 self seeded morello cherries, between 2 and 5 years old.
I hope the summer fete ladies want them, otherwise it is a spot of 3am guerilla gardening in my local park.

Ooh, I'd love one - but I'm probably nowhere near you :( (northants?)

I thought our elderly cherry had prematurely dropped all its fruit earlier this month, but diving in behind it yesterday, I discovered some branches still holding fruit. Clearly it heard my threat to turn it into a coffee table and footstool. So yay.

No, while more than I had hoped for, the yield is definitely less.
It is usually smothered with fruit. I have to come out with a broom to whack it all down.

The broom comes in handy when taking swipes at the flocks of parakeets, tits, robins etc which strip all the fruit. I usually leave the top branches for the birds, but they do insist on taking tiny bites out of every cherry.

e2a
The big vertical branch you can see, is only one of many large branches growing from the crown.

You definitely need to net cherries - though a colleague was collecting duff CDs for his mum to try as bird scarers ...:hmm:

There's a huge sweet cherry near my brother's house which currently has vast amounts of immature fruit - and no signs of a "June drop" - I remembered your post so looked when I was there on Sunday.
He reckons there's never any fruit left by the birds. :(

Ive been working hard this afternoon! The new chicken enclosure under the leylandii trees is almost complete and Ive just got middle hissyfit to help me move the chicken house. I just have to finish the fencing but have stopped for tea. LOADS of composting stuff to clear up now too GAH!!

I started taking some pics earlier but the batteries ran out on the camera :( will take some when the work is finished and batteries charged

You definitely need to net cherries - though a colleague was collecting duff CDs for his mum to try as bird scarers ...:hmm:

There's a huge sweet cherry near my brother's house which currently has vast amounts of immature fruit - and no signs of a "June drop" - I remembered your post so looked when I was there on Sunday.
He reckons there's never any fruit left by the birds. :(
The tree is as tall as the house :( No chance of netting it. Plus when I looked up netting mature trees, I found there was a likely danger of strangling birds. I have a low squirm/ bleugh threshold!

Ive been working hard this afternoon! The new chicken enclosure under the leylandii trees is almost complete and Ive just got middle hissyfit to help me move the chicken house. I just have to finish the fencing but have stopped for tea. LOADS of composting stuff to clear up now too GAH!!

I started taking some pics earlier but the batteries ran out on the camera :( will take some when the work is finished and batteries charged
My work clearing the back of the garden for my chickens is seemingly never ending! :( The house I was on the verge of ordering - (I posted it a month or so back) is too small- it doesnt leave room for me to increase the flock, I spoke to the company and prices go up steeply.

why not consider getting more than one house if you increase your flock?? If you fence off the part of the garden you intend to use you could get a smaller house. They only really tend to sleep/lay in them anyway. They are happiest scratching around.

I like mine, sure but they werent really that happy in it, even though it has a run etc too, they are meant to be able to peck, scratch, dust bathe etc. Mine sound different now Ive just chucked them out in the fenced off area.... less stressed:):)

If I was going to do it again, Id fence off the area and just get a small coop without a run

I went to check out my neatly planted row of broccoli and the lot has gone :D Just stubs left! Ive replaced them with my spares and stuck cloches on them!!

Im in a good mood because all my clematis cuttings taken just 6 weeks ago have rooted heavily! Hurrah! Ive potted them on!

Question- How many tomatoes can I stick in a growbag that Ive cut in half and stood up vertically? Please say 2 in each half.

---
While eating dinner outside in shorts, I could feel insects brushing against my ankles. I was slapping at my legs like I was doing one of those South African gum boot dancers.

e2a- Now my shoulders are suspiciously itchy...

why not consider getting more than one house if you increase your flock?? If you fence off the part of the garden you intend to use you could get a smaller house. They only really tend to sleep/lay in them anyway. They are happiest scratching around.

I like mine, sure but they werent really that happy in it, even though it has a run etc too, they are meant to be able to peck, scratch, dust bathe etc. Mine sound different now Ive just chucked them out in the fenced off area.... less stressed:):)

If I was going to do it again, Id fence off the area and just get a small coop without a run
I actually hadnt considered two houses. Would there be inter house rivalry? Would they sleep in the same place each night?

Without seeing photos I cant tell if my plans echo yours, but Im going to completely cage in a mixed area (wooded/ paved/ some grass) with a large-ish coop in a corner.

Not really posted on here before but here goes....
Our tomato plants are looking very healthy.
I pulled the only ripe strawberry today coz it had been pecked by a bird and it left the sweetest most beautiful smell on my fingers. I sat there sniffing for ages!
The herbs are looking lush although the parsley is a bit bare but only coz we have been using it a bit early.
I couldn't resist :oops:

I actually hadnt considered two houses. Would there be inter house rivalry? Would they sleep in the same place each night?

Without seeing photos I cant tell if my plans echo yours, but Im going to completely cage in a mixed area (wooded/ paved/ some grass) with a large-ish coop in a corner.

I doubt it.... if you have them in one area all together they will just choose where they fancy I think:)

You do find sometimes there are rivalries between birds, one of my friends had to rehome one of hers as it bullied the others. Mine have been fine though, I got them all together at the same time

All my bean seeds appear to have have rotted in the ground - runner and French. :(
So I'm about to start another batch indoors using my hi tech skullduggery and hope I get a decent show by the autumn. Given I only needed 12 plants, I don't know why I didn't automatically do that anyway.

Perhaps I'll try some peat pots .... there's a B&Q not far from work.

I've potted up the 6 peppers and 2 aubergines - the latter, embarrassingly had lost their first flowers due to my negligence in watering - so a key priority is to get my timed irrigation set up.

The plan is to run a feed across to a couple of runs of soaker hose on the salad bed - so far unpopulated. ( :( again )

That's a shame about your beans. How long were they in for?

My aubergines are still shorter than my index finger!

Not really posted on here before but here goes....
Our tomato plants are looking very healthy.
I pulled the only ripe strawberry today coz it had been pecked by a bird and it left the sweetest most beautiful smell on my fingers. I sat there sniffing for ages!
The herbs are looking lush although the parsley is a bit bare but only coz we have been using it a bit early.
I couldn't resist :oops:
Sounds good! Any photos?! :)

I am sorry mate. I wonder what happened then, beans have been my most reliable crop.

Turns out pinot grigio is an anti-histamine. Ner'y an itch! Chin chin!

Back
Top Bottom