Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

This week in your Kitchen Garden.

It is, yes. Definately tastes of cucumber, and she was told that was what it was a type of (she was given a bunch of seedlings by someone else at the allotments)
I think they're one of those things that keep getting reclassified. Definitely related, anyway.

I wish mine were that organised, I missed a few vital points about directing the things the right way and now it looks rather like a nest of the things. Whole load have got skin bound and cracked. Keep trying to clear it a bit then you flip the stem over and tada 20 surprise tomatoes. I have a load of yellow and green courgettes and no one here eats them except the parrot and I doubt they will get through them all, ones now about 1.5ft long.
All the beans failed, peas failed, sweet and spicy peppers failed, carrots and onions failed, the french radishes worked great, then I forgot I had picked them. Strawberries worked ok but just very low yield, Beetroot worked fine but I'm still working out what to do with those. Loads of Rainbow Chard tho it crowded the lettuce patch and made it grow weird after I got a few loads off the lettuce. Tomatoes have spread into other beds? Took over the pea patch thats also in a poly and 15ft away, plus theres now some in the red clover patch.

Taking my eye off the ball was definitely a problem, need a better routine for it and definitely something for things to climb next year.

I finally had my first and possibly only courgette for dinner today.

Having a fairly bumper crop of apples. I thinned them out quite a bit to try and stop them being biennial and they just grew enormous instead and a bit tasteless so it may have been wasted effort.

Apologies for going a bit Facebook,

First salad entirely from the garden.

This has been the worst year growing stuff in the eight we've been here
I think it's been the worst in the 30 years I've been here! Except for the bumper crops of blackcurrants and apples. The runner beans and courgette (singular) had just started to get going and now they're packing up.

Apologies for going a bit Facebook,

First salad entirely from the garden.

This has been the worst year growing stuff in the eight we've been here
Is kind of the point of the thread! I'm hoping year 3 will be when I get some stuff I can actually use to make something like that.

I think it's been the worst in the 30 years I've been here! Except for the bumper crops of blackcurrants and apples. The runner beans and courgette (singular) had just started to get going and now they're packing up.
We did well with blackcurrants too, 6 litres of blackcurrant vodka, currantly (see what I did there) maturing.
In other news, I noticed the other day that something was nicking my peas so I set up a trailcam. We may have id'd the perp.

View attachment VID-20240917-WA0003.mp4

I've just put in some chard and broccoli. More in hope than expectation.

I've put little twig wigwams over them in the probably forlorn hope that they don't get sat on or weed on by fox/cat.

Back
Top Bottom