Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

This week in your Kitchen Garden.

I have some teeny buds appearing but no flowers yet. My runner beans have started to flower. I love the flowers, they are so pretty and delicate, funny to think something so huge is going to appear from them later.

I have some teeny buds appearing but no flowers yet. My runner beans have started to flower. I love the flowers, they are so pretty and delicate, funny to think something so huge is going to appear from them later.

They initially mainly grew them for ornamental value apparently - hence "Painted Lady" .:)

I planted mine well early too and despite having a south facing garden the only things Ive eaten so far have been lettuce, parsley and one solitary strawberry:facepalm:

My peppers are like 2 inches tall:rolleyes:.
Lots of flowers appearing on my runner and broad beans, the courgette plants are really growing well and the cabbages need planting on before I can go to glasto
Your beans are at full height? That's quick. Dont worry, my peppers are only a little ahead of yours.
Plus anyway, you have fresh eggs!

I have been given some little cucumber plants and tomato plants. Eek! I will be begging for info. soon :oops: :)
Brilliant!! Big B&Q buckets for you then!

LOL, gg :D

Some slightly more specific instructions would help! :mad: :D

Red hot poker - maybe when you have the barbie lit ... can't say I've actually tried it though .. fumes should be OK (with care) as it's polypropylene and not PVC or nylon.

Though I always use such occasions as an excuse to buy a new tool. And everyone needs a battery drill / driver these days.

Here are my mini cucumbers.

I'm not fantastically keen on them really - though it's my favourite sushi roll ...

I need to find some recipes as they seem to go bendy within 24 hours of picking ...

Attachments

• cuccumberslowres.jpg
    cuccumberslowres.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1
Funnily enough I don't have a poker either... :D

Can borrow a drill easily enough, but was just wondering if I could manage with what I have (really need to move the remaining tomatoes out of their 'tomato pots' :rolleyes: I reckon)!

Lovely cherries Melinda but :eek: at your harvesting techniques :D
Glad you're still in one piece

:oops::D

At one stage I was berating myself out loud! Hanging from a branch with hurty tree gubbins in my eye, gingerly trying to find a ladder rung with the tips of my toes with increasing anxiety! I do get into quite a few scrapes generally!

I also rigged up a spear from an old shear scissor lashed to a broom handle. I remember reading about one in The Borrowers :D.

Sheo, try a candle/ lighted incense stick/ hot metal skewer or stab it with scissors / bore a hole with the tip of a knife. Although clearly my risk analysis skills are little skewed!

Ok, so i've been given 4 moneymaker tom plants which are about to need repotting anytime now. they're just growing out of their (somewhere around 3inch) pots... do i need to put them in bigger pots?, or can i put them into the ground with some canes to grow up? I have a nice little space i've just cleared next to the bean tripod that they could go into. Will they be ok in there, do you think?.....(they're probbly around about a foot tall as far as i can remember)

The bigger the buckets, the less watering you need to do.
I'm fond of repotting in stages (both for root development and space, but also the rate at which you need to acquire compost... but it quickly becomes a major challenge - especially with tomatoes.

Next year I plan to try "whalehide" collars for the intermediate stage to make it easier. I may actually try ring culture ...

Cucumbers will need sticks and/or strings.

Oudoor tomatoes planted in the ground will need less watering. Make sure you dig in some spent compost / soil improver, and a few handfuls of chicken poo.

My book said ideally not to plant tomatoes out until they'd begun flowering, but I ignored that with the single one of the lot I grew from seed and that plant's actually the only one that's started flowering now :D - so I'd say go for it citygirl (and definitely if they're flowering)!

The two I have in the bed look much perkier and happier than the rest.

Oh?! Huge buckets or what? :confused:

Cute! Do I need sticks for them too then?

God this gardening lark is confusing. :oops: Loving it though :cool:

I knew you'd get hooked:p

Tomatoes you can do in growbags, three plants per growbag:) Just lay them down, cut crosses into the plastic where you want them and plant them up

Personally I only tried growbags once .. the next year I tipped the compost into buckets .. then I worked out that multipurpose compost was better quality and cheaper.

If I ever used growbags again it would be ring culture where you put a collar on and earth up the main stem and basically funneled the water into the growbags - though maybe that's why growbag compost is so coarse ...

They did it on an old Gardener's World I watched last night.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00sj1sj/Gardeners_World_2010_2011_Episode_11/

My greenhouse has taken 16 x 14 = 224 litres of B&Q MP this time round - near as dammit two big bags.

Next year I will start taking a chance on peat-free for the bulk of it ... :oops:

My book said ideally not to plant tomatoes out until they'd begun flowering, but I ignored that with the single one of the lot I grew from seed and that plant's actually the only one that's started flowering now :D - so I'd say go for it citygirl (and definitely if they're flowering)!

The two I have in the bed look much perkier and happier than the rest.

Yeah I reckon that watering when they're in the ground will be a lot better than in pots.. So i'm gunna try them in the beds instead. I have the space, might aswell use it :D

gunna dig in some cut off tops of bottles for the watering and feeding aswell.. i *think* you're supoosed to start feeding them the tomato feed once the trusses are set. but last year i barely bothered with food and got loads of toms from my little potted one in the back yard

Im finding they dry out very quickly in a container. I may well plant mine out into the garden instead of the window box they are in. The growbag seems to hold water much better

If I ever used growbags again it would be ring culture where you put a collar on and earth up the main stem and basically funneled the water into the growbags - though maybe that's why growbag compost is so coarse ...

They did it on an old Gardener's World I watched last night.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00sj1sj/Gardeners_World_2010_2011_Episode_11/
Ive done the ring culture thing in years past, not a lot of effort for a lot of reward. Im not doing it this year as growbags are so ugly, instead Ive either cut them in half and stood them up vertically, and dumped the compost into containers.

Is anyone layering their cordon varieties?

My greenhouse has taken 16 x 14 = 224 litres of B&Q MP this time round - near as dammit two big bags.
Has most of that been transported on your bike, or has your brother been generous with his time?!

Back
Top Bottom