Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

This week in your Kitchen Garden.

There are basically two kinds of tomato.

Cordon or "in-determinate"
Bush or "terminate"

Most varieties are cordon types and need help to get the best out of it, by growing it tall - up a stick - taking out the sideshoots - not the fruit trusses that grow straight from the stem. Most tomato growers have green fingers in summer. BUt be careful if you roll your own cigarettes because tobacco carries a virus that can infect tomatoes.

Bush varieties are bred for field-scale production and you more or less leave to their own devices.

As to planting density versus yield. The seed packet will give you the correct spacing - usually 18 inches.

I will be putting six plants along the back of my 10 foot greenhouse.

Oh wow that's all really interesting!

I AM a baccy smoker! :eek: Will washing hands first get rid - or not neccessarily? :hmm:

And when do I pinch out the sideshoots?

Sorry :D - will Google!

My mum would tell me but she's not down for another couple of weeks.

Hit the motherload today.
This was the first haul dropped off.
Second lot was gathered from the community gardens. All sorts of planty capers going on. Now, where to put the buggers?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 21
My mum used to drive us to the city farm before we went on to her allotment (Kentish Town to Finchley - not THAT nearby ) and pick up shit loads of bags of horse manure, which I'd have to sit in the back with till we got there. It wasn't so much the smell (she reckoned the smell was nice ) as the FLIES, which were EVIL, millions and millions of those little ones trapped in the back WITH ME (she had a fucking MINI, too ). :(

Sounds like something I'd do! :D

I has Mr. Sage and Mrs. Rosemary from the city farm :cool: Now, I seem to recall Sage takes over a bit, so I'm wondering whether I should mix a trough of herbs or whether I should put Mr. Sage in a pot before putting in the trough so he doesn't get too overbearing on the rest? :hmm:

Can you pretty much mix herbs in a trough or are their ones who don't get on?

I would like some Basil and Corriander, will they be ok to just all bung in the same trough? :)

Im growing basil and parsley in a big tub, half in each and they are doing just great :)
I wouldnt pack load in, my mum did me a hanging basket type thing with about 6 different sorts for my birthday one year and they didnt do so well

LMHF- Forgive me if Ive asked before, but vodka tonics and heat stroke dont make for a good memory!

Are your neighbours ok about you keeping chickens? Did you go round and speak to them first?

Also, does your chicken run have a roof? Im concerned about cats and foxes messing with my girls.

Im thinking about getting ex battery hens. Did Kanda start a chicken thread?

My roof terrace / farm.

I have: sweet peppers; butternut squashes; courgettes; borlotti beans; and one weird, mutant jalapeno chilli plant which has grown about three times as fast as any of my habaneros / bulgarian carrots, so it has earned a place outside, rather than on a windowsill

Oh, and a curry plant, too, for the nice smell it has.

Click to embiggen.

Now, I seem to recall Sage takes over a bit, so I'm wondering whether I should mix a trough of herbs or whether I should put Mr. Sage in a pot before putting in the trough so he doesn't get too overbearing on the rest? :hmm:

Sage gets old and straggly, but it isn't invasive like mint.

I'm feeling my way with herbs. I've just planted up one of my 80 litre tubs with the basics - bay, sage, thyme, marjoram, chives, but I also stuck in the mint that came free with some of the others... I'm not even that keen on it... The bay will become a tree if I let it - my last one nearly did and sadly I killed it when I moved it.

I suspect the thing to do is keep taking cuttings of plants that become less suitable with age, just as you sow fresh basil every year.

My roof terrace / farm.

I have: sweet peppers; butternut squashes; courgettes; borlotti beans; and one weird, mutant jalapeno chilli plant which has grown about three times as fast as any of my habaneros / bulgarian carrots, so it has earned a place outside, rather than on a windowsill

Click to embiggen.
Bloody good show! When did you sow those beans? They're massive.

A month!

*jealouses*

I suppose they would get lots of sun on the roof, but I'd also assume they are more battered by winds and therefore more prone to dry out? Do they get a fair bit of shelter then too? Whatever you're doing, they are looking terrific on it.

Mine are less than half as high, but then I have a bloomin' great sycamore shading out half the garden.
That bugger has got to go.

A month!

*jealouses*

I suppose they would get lots of sun on the roof, but I'd also assume they are more battered by winds and therefore more prone to dry out? Do they get a fair bit of shelter then too? Whatever you're doing, they are looking terrific on it.

Mine are less than half as high, but then I have a bloomin' great sycamore shading out half the garden.
That bugger has got to go.

The biggest ones were actually growing in small 3" square pots on my bedroom window (it gets a lot of sun). They just got planted out today.

Yep, it's pretty sheltered, and gets sun from early morning until early afternoon. With luck I'll get a better crop this year than last year :p

Ooooooooooooh (envious, if it wasn't obvious :rolleyes: ) mine are pretty much all like the ones in the first white pot!

Gosh he's very STURDY in the blue pot, eh? :cool: <nudge>

LMHF- Forgive me if Ive asked before, but vodka tonics and heat stroke dont make for a good memory!

Are your neighbours ok about you keeping chickens? Did you go round and speak to them first?

Also, does your chicken run have a roof? Im concerned about cats and foxes messing with my girls.

Im thinking about getting ex battery hens. Did Kanda start a chicken thread?

I didnt ask no, but its not been any issue at all! They dont make alot of noise, its the cockerells which cause issues with crowing. I need to clean up a bit at the mo cos theyve wrecked my garden and it smells a bit now its hot. Im not sure how much is down to the chooks cos I also have bad drains:oops:

Yes my chicken house has a roof this is it

67754OUO7KQK5NQJNS.jpg

But mines a bit small so Im building them a run to go with this this week... if you can, give them as much space as possible. I was happy to let them roam until I realised just how much damage they caused, they really do eat EVERYTHING thats green, they also dig holes, throw soil and stones everywhere and so on....its not good, either have a complete garden you devote to them and their domain/damage or build a run! They put themselves to bed at night and thats the time to feed/water them if you want to do it without getting pecked endlessly!

My roof terrace / farm.

Click to embiggen.

Good work fogbat :cool:

I've had a lovely weekend pottering in the garden and I really, really don't want to be at work today :(
Everything is starting to burst into life and I still have things to do from yesterday's list. I'm looking forward to a G n T and some further pottering when I get home this evening.

Sounds like something I'd do! :D

I has Mr. Sage and Mrs. Rosemary from the city farm :cool: Now, I seem to recall Sage takes over a bit, so I'm wondering whether I should mix a trough of herbs or whether I should put Mr. Sage in a pot before putting in the trough so he doesn't get too overbearing on the rest? :hmm:

Can you pretty much mix herbs in a trough or are their ones who don't get on?

I would like some Basil and Corriander, will they be ok to just all bung in the same trough? :)
I know I as winging about my herbs a few pages back, but they are generally ok in their trough together...

sage, thyme and rosemary...

I got a new rosemary plant yesterday at the community gardens, and not sure whether to squeeze it in that space to the right of the thyme... my creeping rosemary ain't too happy :hmm:

I know I as winging about my herbs a few pages back, but they are generally ok in their trough together...

sage, thyme and rosemary...

I got a new rosemary plant yesterday at the community gardens, and not sure whether to squeeze it in that space to the right of the thyme... my creeping rosemary ain't too happy :hmm:

I wouldn't if I were you - rosemary is a large shrub, and will want more root space than in there, plus it'll compete the thyme out of existence. Probably the sage too, given time (no pun intended :facepalm:)

Coriander and basil will do very well together - they like the same conditions (ie hot and wet).

My roof terrace / farm.

Click to embiggen.
Oooh, they are looking good :)

Must sort out chillies - maybe weekend coming up if you're about.

I wouldn't if I were you - rosemary is a large shrub, and will want more root space than in there, plus it'll compete the thyme out of existence. Probably the sage too, given time (no pun intended :facepalm:)

Coriander and basil will do very well together - they like the same conditions (ie hot and wet).
ok... I'll keep the other rosemary separate for now :) If the trailing/creeping one carks it, I'll put him in at the end though.

Rosemary is a bit tree-like, but it should be manageable if you keep on rooting cuttings.
The same thing would apply to bay.

I reckon that compost of yours is a bit too dense - and there's too much of it showing ;)

I would give it all a freshen-up.

I meant what do you mean it needs a "freshen up" and is too dense?

It is compost... I haven't just got some soil out of someone's garden.

I meant what do you mean it needs a "freshen up" and is too dense?

It is compost... I haven't just got some soil out of someone's garden.

What brand of compost ? Peaty / loamy / gritty ?

What I meant was to try and find out why the plants weren't flourishing - apart from the worst winter for 30 years ;)

If it was my box, I would want it well stuffed with plants so would probably have the plants out, mix in some fresh compost and check everything was OK at the botton - no need for such a gap between compost and rim of the planter - more compost = fewer problems generally.

What brand of compost ? Peaty / loamy / gritty ?
I'm not sure, john innes 1 or 2 I think.

What I meant was to try and find out why the plants weren't flourishing - apart from the worst winter for 30 years ;)
I think it's because of the winter and also not having any food for about a year or so :hmm:

If it was my box, I would want it well stuffed with plants so would probably have the plants out, mix in some fresh compost and check everything was OK at the botton - no need for such a gap between compost and rim of the planter - more compost = fewer problems generally.
I mixed in some fresh compost near the top. Someone has just said to leave herbs a bit of space especially rosemary and thyme, so don't think I'll add any more to it, might be different if it were flowers or salad.

Back
Top Bottom