Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

This week in your Kitchen Garden.

I didnt ask no, but its not been any issue at all! They dont make alot of noise, its the cockerells which cause issues with crowing. I need to clean up a bit at the mo cos theyve wrecked my garden and it smells a bit now its hot. Im not sure how much is down to the chooks cos I also have bad drains:oops:

Yes my chicken house has a roof this is it

67754OUO7KQK5NQJNS.jpg

But mines a bit small so Im building them a run to go with this this week... if you can, give them as much space as possible. I was happy to let them roam until I realised just how much damage they caused, they really do eat EVERYTHING thats green, they also dig holes, throw soil and stones everywhere and so on....its not good, either have a complete garden you devote to them and their domain/damage or build a run! They put themselves to bed at night and thats the time to feed/water them if you want to do it without getting pecked endlessly!
Evening :)

Your hen house is really very attractive! And I think it IS quite big too.

Thanks for all the information! Im wary of hijacking this lovely thread, so I hope its ok if I take your post and my reply to the revived chicken thread?

Actually - seriously now :mad: the lower leaves on my sickly one were looking REALLY poorly the other day - although the new growth looked fine - so I pulled them off! :D

Probably completely the wrong thing to do, but out of sight out of mind! :rolleyes: :D

All looking fine now, tbf. :hmm:

Right - have repotted some tomatoes, aubergines, a couple of pak choi (which shoudn't be moved apparently, but they were in tiny pots and the compost was fucked - have more anyway so worth a try) and my solitary, titchy sweet pepper (hopefully :D ), done a tray of pea shoots (ended up just using the rest of the maincrop ones), some more dwarf beans :rolleyes: and put some chives and basils straight into the herb bed. Just gotta mow the lawn now!

It's because you're meant to do them much earlier than this apparently. And I mean MUCH earlier! I did mine a good while back and it was still too late, iyswim. Give it a go anyway though, why not!

I might put a light over my peppers, fuckers still aren't sprouting. :mad: :(

A light is handy for warmth - though that shouldn't be a problem at the moment.

Any CFLs should do, but they'll be ready for at least 20 watts over a small pot once they show.

My biggest problem this year has been dodgy seed compost, but the peppers came up anyway.

If you like, I've got a couple of pointy sweet pepper seedlings you're welcome to, when you pick up the chillies, zenie.

I am trying out my various sized tomato and aubergines in different parts of the garden, so some in the greenhouse, but some others in open sunny spots.

Gg - sorry to be a pest :D but I have some tomato feed coming with my Tesco delivery today :D ....going to put it on strawbs, aubergines and tomatoes, but is there anything else obvious I've missed that would particularly like being fed with it?

I have some tomato feed coming with my Tesco delivery today :D ....going to put it on strawbs, aubergines and tomatoes, but is there anything else obvious I've missed that would particularly like being fed with it?

Anything with fruit or flowers - but be careful with it - start with very low strength and look out for tip burn.

It depends on how healthy your soil is, but you always have to supply pottasium to heavily fruiting plants - be it synthetics, woodash or comfrey ...

To be honest, my gardening experience has been patchy. The thing is every plant is different, every garden is different - so you just play it by ear ...

Here's a photo I had to take of my basically ornamental veggies - two romanesco caulis and the more erect of my rainbow chard - I hope they have really good colours.

Attachments

• indoorveggies.jpg
    indoorveggies.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 3
....and the more erect of my rainbow chard.....

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand we're off again.... :D

What fuckin pics, though!?!

I have romanesco's, too! Obviously mine are very small still though (there's a theme here with me and my SMALL veg :hmm: ) - very, VERY far from being caulis certainly - would love to see yours (ARGH! :mad: )...no, but really!

Tesco had run out of tomato feed, btw. :rolleyes:

My daughter chucked up all over her school dress this arvo and is running a temp now, too :( so won't get out to get some tomorrow either prob, but ex has said he'll drop some round.

My courgette leaves have a sort of whiteness affecting the veins, if that makes sense....not sure if it's something or nothing.....hmmmm......

Guaranteed sunlight - 18 hours exactly of it each day. :)

The first leaves of courgettes tend to be silvery all over too.

So long as the couple of tomato plants I bought haven't brought in a virus .... :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom