Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Things to look out for in Lidl and Aldi

Was just looking at Aldi's website and noticed that they're accepting credit cards now, which is handy to know.

Also, their cola called Vive is really good and it's 39p!

Lidl's malted milk biscuits are the only ones I've found that taste proper - all the others seem to have been dicked around with, like all other childhood favourites :mad:

Also got good kids stocking filler stuff in.

Still no jam filled lebkuchen though :eek::(:mad:

I had a spritz of the Lidl perfume yesterday; it's not bad, is it? I was not too keen on it initially but it did develop nicely over the next few hours. My son commented on me smelling nice and I did find myself sniffing the back of my hand throughout the night; so it lasted really long as well.

I think I will buy it.

ETA It was tested for a Radio 4 item a good year ago; the tester was also pleasantly surprised and declared it good value.

Just moved opposite a Lidl so am doing some shopping there now.

Best new find so far is the cream cheese with fresh garlic - tastes like Boursin, not Philidelphia.
43916_Soft-Cheeses-Soft-cheese-with-Garlic.jpg

Just moved opposite a Lidl so am doing some shopping there now.

Best new find so far is the cream cheese with fresh garlic - tastes like Boursin, not Philidelphia.
43916_Soft-Cheeses-Soft-cheese-with-Garlic.jpg

this stuff is amazing, I have been known to eat out of the tub with a spoon, I fecking stink the next day mind:oops:

I have just got some the lidl truffle oil which is good I have however, forgotten for the 3rd time:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: to buy MrONS some more of the Turkish yogurt which is apparently amazing. I tried it and its solid and creamy and rather lovely.

I had a spritz of the Lidl perfume yesterday; it's not bad, is it? I was not too keen on it initially but it did develop nicely over the next few hours. My son commented on me smelling nice and I did find myself sniffing the back of my hand throughout the night; so it lasted really long as well.

I think I will buy it.

ETA It was tested for a Radio 4 item a good year ago; the tester was also pleasantly surprised and declared it good value.

I tried it yesterday too on the strength of this thread's recommendations :D It is nice, but not very me. I want Lidl to branch out and produce more perfumes.

T'other occasional German Stollen excess is to toast a slice and then spread it thickly with butter. ;)

You complete and utter bastard! When my face thaws-out, I'm going to have to go past Lidl, get my first stollen of the year (apart from the three i bought really cheap in the end-season sell-off January :oops: ) and try that! :mad:

Do you think some golden Syrup or Muscovado sugar on top of the butter would add more? If so, I'll order more insulin too! :D

Where the hell are all these super busy Lidls everyone goes to? We just waltzed around the barely populated aisles before skipping up the checkout with no queue...

The ones here only seem to get really busy on Thurs/Fri nights or Saturday mornings. I think there isin part because they are all sited on or within a stonesthrow of the main comutter routes in and out of town. Aldi only have one main road covered so far - although their beach store seems to get buisiest on Sunday afternoons.

You complete and utter bastard! When my face thaws-out, I'm going to have to go past Lidl, get my first stollen of the year (apart from the three i bought really cheap in the end-season sell-off January :oops: ) and try that! :mad:

Do you think some golden Syrup or Muscovado sugar on top of the butter would add more? If so, I'll order more insulin too! :D

TBF, if you put syrup or sugar on top, you'll be pissing pure glucose no matter how much insulin you jack up! :D

Great thread! Most informative. Def not gonna fork out £17 for Pimms anymore now that I know about Jeeves for a fiver!

Inspired me to do my annual German christmas chocolates run. Stocked the cupboard, but not gonna eat any until Nov at the earliest. Delayed gratification is my middle name...Having said that, might make an exemption for the chocolate covered gingerbread shapes, the star and heart and bretzel-shaped ones. :hmm:

Didn't realize they were so good for veg, bought a 500g pack of vacuum-packed, pre-cooked beetroot for 79p, lots more expensive in other supermarkets. Also great antipasti in jars, artichoke hearts for 99p, though still have to taste test those.

One thing I specifically looked for to see if they had an own brand take on it: Oat So Simple porridge sachets - which can be had cheaply when you find a supermarket or another that has them on bogof, but you can't really argue with 10 sachets of Oh So Easy! for 99p. I was particularly impressed with the name :D

Verdict: A great day out for all the family!

Lidl Amanie chocolate biscuits , half price at 99 p pack of 10 .....club biscuit clones ...only look and taste more upmarket ..some sort of thin vanilla filling ....in between the biscuit and outer choc layer for extra lush !

That Lidl visit just kept on giving: Taste tested the mini-chocolate panettone to see if it is worth getting more. Tasty enough, very similar to those cheapo supermarket chocolate brioche. Not unmissable, but will probably get a few more "just in case". Drank some of their £4.29 Merlot with dinner, which again I found very drinkable, but then I have pretty poor/unfussy tastes in wine.
And just when I thought I'd rinsed all possible enjoyment for one day out of this experience, I started idly browsing the magazine advertising their offers that I'd picked up at the check-out, and saw that next week is thermal leggings week! In blue, black and plum, no less. 2 for a fiver! Am now very excited all over again. :D

Back
Top Bottom