Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Things to look out for in Lidl and Aldi

Lidl had electrical timers today - 2 or one fancy digital one for £3.99.

I had a chat with the check out staff - very happy about the living wage.

Greenvale spreadable butter - available in Aldi - 500g tub "around" 90p

Lurpak "similar" same size tub - also from Aldi - £3.20'odd

Now the Greenvale spread, probably, looks not the best of colours, but taste is excellent, you'll never mistake it for real butter, but for sandwiches and general "stuff" and ONLY 90p - it's well worth a punt

Lidl is selling snails at the moment! Going to pass on that but lots of other nice things, lots of cheap cheeses
Lidls frozen stuff is shite. I had their snails about eight years ago. I still remember them utterly inedible. Made the mistake of buying frozen salmon a few weeks back . . . yuck!. The fresh salmon though is wonderful!!!.

Greenvale spreadable butter - available in Aldi - 500g tub "around" 90p

Lurpak "similar" same size tub - also from Aldi - £3.20'odd

Now the Greenvale spread, probably, looks not the best of colours, but taste is excellent, you'll never mistake it for real butter, but for sandwiches and general "stuff" and ONLY 90p - it's well worth a punt
The difference in actual butter content is quite striking though. Lurpack is 64% butter, Greenvale is... less (can't remember, and can't find it online). It's made up for by adding more salt.

That's not to say that Lurpack is worth 3x the price, but they're very definitely not the same thing. Now if you're talking real butter, then there's no sense paying extra for that.

Got some nice munchie things in my Lidl shopping today, Polish turkey slices, two packs of peanuts one Marmite coated the other one Branston ,a massive jar of green olives, Welsh rarebit flavour crisps and a box of Polish chocolates with lemon mouse filling.

The difference in actual butter content is quite striking though. Lurpack is 64% butter, Greenvale is... less (can't remember, and can't find it online). It's made up for by adding more salt.

That's not to say that Lurpack is worth 3x the price, but they're very definitely not the same thing. Now if you're talking real butter, then there's no sense paying extra for that.

So ... buy proper butter?

What?????? :hmm: :D
bags of character:D
REAL-Colliers-150g.jpg

Blood Aldi is stuffed full of Xmas stuff now. :mad:
They should put it in the booze aisle where I only need to go once in a blue moon.

One mince pie and my diet will go out of the window.

Ah. Chem and I were just talking about Real crisps. Trying to remember if they did the good jalapeño ones when faced with an empty roast ox flavour packet. :thumbs:

The difference in actual butter content is quite striking though. Lurpack is 64% butter, Greenvale is...

43% - just checked - I'm surprised to be honest as it tastes quite like butter

And where as Lurpak spreadable has .9g of Salt

The Greenvale spreadable only has .12g of Salt

I'm not sure I can recommend the two for £12.99 "memory foam" chair pads in Aldi - even two of them weren't enough for my computer chair, so I picked up an ordinary cushion today for £5.99 to put on top - which seems to be the right combination...

Last edited:
Lidl socks - heavy cotton rich boot socks x 2 pairs only £2.49. They're a bit big as only in mens sizes, but buscador likes them

I've got the robotic floor duster from lidl today. It's currently charging.

I also bought a bag of curly kale and completely ignored the Christmas gingerbread lebkuchen stuff.
I saw those - can we look forward to picture of cat sitting on the robot?

For anyone struggling with Stoptober, lidl currently has little Italian non alcoholic aperitif drinks, red and yellow. They're delicious, and because they come in a little bottle and taste kind of different, they make a good replacement for alcohol. Kind of.

download.jpg

Last edited:
Are £15 boots from Lidl likely to be cold and leaky and fall apart or should they be ok? Anyone ever bought them? :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom