Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Things to look out for in Lidl and Aldi

I bought a couple of cans of coconut water yesterday in Lidl. I bought them because people on here have said how nice it is. I don't know if the ones I bought were off but it tasted nothing like coconut. In fact after one mouthful I poured the rest on the can down the sink. It was vile :mad:
Is it always vile? and why do folk like it? :confused:

was Vitasia.

No its just grim shirl. I wanted to buy some of the coconut ice cream but it was all gone.:mad:

Polish week soon yaay dumplings, tumeric noodles, mild mustard and best of all the raspberry jaffa style cakes (there isnt a huge Polish population here so i have missed these things). Also i think there some toys and bits for kids. I will not however be buying or asking for the pink screwdriver set for valentines day.:facepalm:

Oh and I tried the spinach cheese pastry thing in the bakery section more like a chees and onion slice tbh. But still alright for 60p

I bought a couple of cans of coconut water yesterday in Lidl. I bought them because people on here have said how nice it is. I don't know if the ones I bought were off but it tasted nothing like coconut. In fact after one mouthful I poured the rest on the can down the sink. It was vile :mad:
Is it always vile? and why do folk like it? :confused:

The brand was Vitasia.

I don't like it either.
Me neither, fucking vile stuff
No its just grim shirl. I wanted to buy some of the coconut ice cream but it was all gone.:mad:

Polish week soon yaay dumplings, tumeric noodles, mild mustard and best of all the raspberry jaffa style cakes (there isnt a huge Polish population here so i have missed these things). Also i think there some toys and bits for kids. I will not however be buying or asking for the pink screwdriver set for valentines day.:facepalm:
oooo sounds interesting :cool:

I still can't get over how inexpensive the bakery section is in Lidl

It's simple - Lidl has branches throughout northern and central Europe. The economies of scale that allows them to take advantage of are pretty significant. What you should be asking yourself is "how come Sainsburys/Morrisons/Tesco/Asda have such expensive bakeries?". :)
As someone who occasionally visits Germany, I can tell you that even independent bakeries there don't charge high prices for bread or cakes. Also, although the supermarkets sell sliced loaves, they actually sell more rolls and unsliced loaves, and some Germans tend to view ordinary sliced loaves as "toast bread".

BTW Aldi brioche lovers, the rolls are good but also v tasty is the sliced brioche loaves - yum yum

Was in Aldi doing a shop for work and spotted ultra sonic cleaners for £20. Hoping they still have some in stock when I finish tomorrow.

Yep - i've tried to get buses to lidl (rhyming with 'middle') and been met with bafflement before..

just bought a waffle maker from lidl for £9.99. they had an electric rice steamer thing reduced to £6.99 but i didn't have enough room in my bag.

It's simple - Lidl has branches throughout northern and central Europe. The economies of scale that allows them to take advantage of are pretty significant. What you should be asking yourself is "how come Sainsburys/Morrisons/Tesco/Asda have such expensive bakeries?". :)
As someone who occasionally visits Germany, I can tell you that even independent bakeries there don't charge high prices for bread or cakes. Also, although the supermarkets sell sliced loaves, they actually sell more rolls and unsliced loaves, and some Germans tend to view ordinary sliced loaves as "toast bread".

To my knowledge, all steam-baked and sliced bread, as in the dreaded Chorleywood method, is called "toast-brot" in Germanyland. As that's all it's good for. Apart from chucking it in the bin where it belongs. This could be down to pure prejudice as a branch of my German family own and run a local bakery. I'll be visiting the fam in May and am looking forward to eating decent bread that doesn't require a second mortgage. As well as more than my fair share of brotchen, kase und Niederegger echtes Lubecker marzipan. And maybe a few beers, too. Prost!

I'm not sure that Sainsburies etc higher prices is just naked profiteering.

It does bother me how cheap food is in Aldi/ Lidl. Is it just the "no frills no choice" model that means it's so cheap? For instance I'd be loath to buy meat there.

Back
Top Bottom