Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Things to look out for in Lidl and Aldi

Popped into the Stockwell lidl this morning and there are still a fair few wooden toys there if anyone has missed out on anything.

Was in lidl the weekend . They had goose crowns for £9 and a whole goose for £17 iirc.Had the crowns a few times and they're excellent. Oh yeah, I'm loving the South African Shiraz/ cab sav at four and half quid a pop. Think I'll grab one on the way home tonight.

***WARNING WARNING WARNING***

Do not buy Lidl Deluxe Chocolate Covered Strawberries if you value any clothing you currently own

These are worse than Pringles - (Once - - Pop - - Can't Stop - - Arse)

On the plus side the bags they come in are quite small so there's a natural "fire break" there

You have been warned

I maybe some time

Think of me

Tell Izz I love her

***WARNING WARNING WARNING***

Do not buy Lidl Deluxe Chocolate Covered Strawberries if you value any clothing you currently own

They also make white chocolate covered ones as well - dammit

I shall report back about them . . . . soon!!

The chocolate covered dried cherries are also quite challenging to self restraint.

I have a bag of those as well

So far I've done the Raspberries and brown chocolate Strawberries

I've still got the white chocolate strawberries and chocolate cherries to go

Was in lidl the weekend . They had goose crowns for £9 and a whole goose for £17 iirc.Had the crowns a few times and they're excellent. Oh yeah, I'm loving the South African Shiraz/ cab sav at four and half quid a pop. Think I'll grab one on the way home tonight.
I bought one. How did you cook it?

Aldi Wednesday 3rd
Look like Cheese day. [emoji2]

They ALSO got small round one like these in wax but below are a pound from Asda

8939a86e115ebfc0a2b086b1964c0c39.jpg

Last edited:
Aldi Wednesday 3rd
Look like Cheese day. [emoji2]

They ALSO got small round one like these in wax but below are a pound from Asda

8939a86e115ebfc0a2b086b1964c0c39.jpg

So how much are they in Aldi? I love spicy cheddar but notice from the photo it is only two out of three chillies. Have you tried it & is it proper hot?

^ Photo above they from Asda £1 each.

Below are Aldi
2c7dadcca019db5b3fc600c14aafe6e4.jpg

Edit
No not tried for Christmas well that the plan.
Last year at Asda same size in wax was Red chilly that was nice bit of a kick.

Last edited:
Lidl have got mini stollen but have sold out of hazelnut/almond clusters/chocolate almonds. :mad: They do have beef carpaccio and posh smoked trout in for Christmas. And I really wanted to buy a whole leg of Serrano but Hendo wouldn't let me. :mad::oops:

Also they've started selling more Continental cheeses like Comte. :thumbs:

I was going to start another thread with a poll but couldn't make it work in my head without having to put off eating stollen until the end of the poll time - which I'd crazily set as Christmas Day - so that was never going to happen

SO - following on from the of quote below:-

I saw "Stollen Bites" in Tesco the other day... HAHAHAHA... (((poor deluded evil overlord Tesco))))

I went, not only to Aldi but to Tesco's as well - so now I have in my proud possession 3 different stollen bites - embarrassingly NO Lidl stollen - but, depending on how well this initial trial goes I might be persuaded to pop to our local Lidl to rectify

So, entering the ring we have:-

Tesco's finest - 10 Stollen bites - flashed as being made with brandy and to a family recipe - £3.00 - 200g

Vs

Aldi Specially selected, luxury traditional recipe Stollen Bites with Jamaican Rum - £2.49 - 230g

Vs

Aldi Rich Fruit Stollen bites - £unsure - 350g - packet has been open for some time, but luckily I have an emergency "back up" pack of this stollen FWTSHTF-(ZA) that's not been opened

All product titles taken from the Front of Pack descriptions - without using any of the sub-title text which tends to be descriptive but goes on a bit

Couple of things to note are the Tesco's is the most expensive for the lightest weight

The 2 luxury ranges are in EXACTLY the same style and make up box - including the size and position of the window on the Front of Pack (I'm in "the print" so stuff like this matters to me) - it wouldn't surprise me if these were made and/or packed in the same factory - this is too much of a coincidence - similar packaging, Yes - but the window AND the ink jet panel being the same - not gonna happen

OK - so here we go

1st up The Tesco's offering

Cheap nasty cardboard doesn't add to the packaging opening experience
Nice "brandy" smell when opening the inner, plastic packaging - which quickly goes
size of each bite size stollen 1" x 1" x 1 1/4" deep
LOADS of icing sugar
I can confirm that they are mouth size - no need to bite these
Quite a lot of fruit but overall lacking the depth, richness and "length" of flavour - the taste quickly goes from your mouth

I shall rest my palette

A new aldi has opened near me. We went there yesterday. It was horrible. I was really disappointed. :(

I'm sticking with lidl.

Next up - the many days open, non luxury Aldi stollen bites

Well, the packaging is what it is
Any "new packet" opening smell is long gone
1" x 1 1/4" x 1/2" deep so "smaller" than the Tesco's offering yet you have to bite them to "enhance" the eating experience
No worse and almost certainly better when new than the Tesco's offering - with a good after taste

I shall rest my palette

And finally - Aldi Jamaican Rum stollen bites

Same cheap nasty feel to the packaging as the Tesco's one - I'm more convinced that this is from the same printers
Synthetic "Rum" smell - just like the Old Jamaica Chocolate - hangs around a bit longer than the Tesco's one though
Same size as the Tesco's offering
Ditto icing sugar
Ditto mouth size
Again, a nice lot of fruit - the synthetic Rum flavour actually is quite nice, not a bad length to the after taste

So now I have a problem of 3 opened packets of Stollen - what have I done???

Back
Top Bottom