Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Things to look out for in Lidl and Aldi

Tinned Potato Rosti - Aldi - got to get some - don't know why, but I have high hopes for some reason

We've just had this for lunch, chose a pan that was too big so it was impossible to flip over. It ended up as more of a potato hash, but oh my it is totally delicious. We garnished it with a fried egg :thumbs:

isn't it just grated potato in a tin?

Had this for breakfast this morning - minus the 2 pieces of toast I'd originally hoped to have had with it as stated on the Breakfast Thread

Overall it's not too bad - and no, it's not just grated potato in a tin - OK - it is potato that's been grated and it is supplied in a tin, so, Yes, Wilson you are correct - but it's so much more as BoatieBird so eloquently posted - Oh! my it is delicious and, as young BB, I too garnish mine with 2 fried eggs

The other great thing is - out of a, let's call it a large tin, I've only used probably just over 1" of Rosti, leaving, probably enough to have the same every day, to the end of this week :D

I'm a bloke, "resting" between jobs so having the same breakfast every day is not a problem to me

So, it's worth getting in a tin or two and popping in the cupboard for a day when you have to have a more substantial breakfast - does this become an FGB - or an FE/GB or even an FEuroB?

Stay away from Lidl's frozen partridge: tough (even when still slightly bloody) and slim pickings. I actually felt guilty for eating it. :(

Had this for breakfast this morning - minus the 2 pieces of toast I'd originally hoped to have had with it as stated on the Breakfast Thread

Overall it's not too bad - and no, it's not just grated potato in a tin - OK - it is potato that's been grated and it is supplied in a tin, so, Yes, Wilson you are correct - but it's so much more as BoatieBird so eloquently posted - Oh! my it is delicious and, as young BB, I too garnish mine with 2 fried eggs

The other great thing is - out of a, let's call it a large tin, I've only used probably just over 1" of Rosti, leaving, probably enough to have the same every day, to the end of this week :D

I'm a bloke, "resting" between jobs so having the same breakfast every day is not a problem to me

So, it's worth getting in a tin or two and popping in the cupboard for a day when you have to have a more substantial breakfast - does this become an FGB - or an FE/GB or even an FEuroB?

Not quite Rosti (as definitely with raw tatties) but:
Reibekuchen/Kartoffelpuffer/Rievkooche are one of my favourite and very easy to make. Grated potato, egg, onion, flour, salt, pepper (egg depending on which region in Germany). We eat it with pea soup or sprinkled with sugar. I have also discovered that it tastes very nice on top of Schwarzbrot (sliced sunflower bread from Lidl).

If you do make it yourself I would advise to brown them slowly as you can end up with undercooked potato. You also need to squeeze out the fluid.

There were NO mini stollen in lidl today. None!!!!

:mad: :mad:
They're usually gone by the end of November ime. By the time I get round to thinking about Christmas there's usually just a couple of desolate packets of lebkuchen and a jar of chutney knocking about on the Christmas shelf. Whereas this year I've already bought a massive stash and then eaten half of it before Advent begins :oops:

They're usually gone by the end of November ime. By the time I get round to thinking about Christmas there's usually just a couple of desolate packets of lebkuchen and a jar of chutney knocking about on the Christmas shelf. Whereas this year I've already bought a massive stash and then eaten half of it before Advent begins :oops:

I resisted buying some in case I did that. Oh well probably for the best.

So, given innit's post I was thinking of doing my Christmas shopping really early one morning during Christmas week (ie 22nd/23rd) to try and save money - is this just idiocy? Should I pre-book my shopping delivery as per normal? I was surprised at just how well stocked the Lidl was that I went to last week - and I know I've done my booze shopping there during Christmas week no problem before.

My local lidl is being done up and won't 're open til 11/12

I'm reckoning on shelves being full to bursting of Xmas delights. Happy to take orders via pm and PayPal and post x

I bought a whole frozen irish crab the other day. I had a hankering but now I think craig the crab will be in the freezer a while till I pluck up the courage to something with him.

I bought a pack of frozen veal liver - it was lovely and it cooked up perfectly

I'm bad and I'm going to hell for it - but Bob had a small piece of left overs so I don't feel so bad

Thank God that the little 59p tins of mackerel in tomato sauce have returned to the ALDI's shelves. There was no sign of 'em for weeks and I was beginning to fear the worst.

(The sauce actually tastes of tomato, and not the sickly sweet clagg that characterises rival products).

I nearly bought a mince pie yesterday. But then decided not to on the grounds of waistline. So I've just eaten the cheese and onion roll I bought for the foal instead because he refused to eat it :facepalm:

just spent far too much for not enough stuff. Not sure I saved over morrisons tbh, probably cos I kept putting extras in my basket.

Beer was cheaper, so I bought 24. Also smoked salmon & fudge. Oh, and mushroom terrine. :D

Not quite Rosti (as definitely with raw tatties) but:
Reibekuchen/Kartoffelpuffer/Rievkooche are one of my favourite and very easy to make. Grated potato, egg, onion, flour, salt, pepper (egg depending on which region in Germany). We eat it with pea soup or sprinkled with sugar. I have also discovered that it tastes very nice on top of Schwarzbrot (sliced sunflower bread from Lidl).

If you do make it yourself I would advise to brown them slowly as you can end up with undercooked potato. You also need to squeeze out the fluid.

Although you shouldn't, as a particularly stupid friend of mine did, rinse the starch off of the grated potato. :facepalm:

Would you believe that the person who did this had a first name that's the German for "plank"? :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom